Weird rendering of bright lights?

ywenz

Mentor
Local time
3:03 AM
Is this a true problem of the M8? There's no streaking in this pic, but the bright light sources are hella ugly and has a slight posterization effect to it..

304725525_8e6cdc3e23_b.jpg

Not bein funny, and I'm keen on being facetious as often as I can, but cmon doesn't that sniff of sh*t stirring to you peeps? Ywenz I know you arent a troll, but you sure could shortlist as one :D

those are some pretty ugly effects around the lights, my 20D doesn't do that, the blue artifacts around the light sources is now that I look at it more, REALLY ugly...hm....no long exposures with m8, check

Leica said:
The M8 opens up a new realm of photographic opportunities

...as long as you don't shoot long exposures, at night, under certain/all light conditions, wear any synthetic or natural fabrics, and have a dust-free universe
ok ok now i'm the troll :D

The short answer is NO. The M8 has issues, but also produces some of the nicest files in a 35mm format size digital camera.

Someone played with that one.

Ray (Yes, I have one and have shot a lot of night scenes with it.)

ywenz,

I didn't say that you did. I stated that the M8 does not render like that naturally.

I still say that someone played with that one. Probably by poor processing of the RAW.

Best,

Ray

I just looked at the link again and it says jpeg tests from the M8.

My comments are all relative to RAW, as I have the jpeg function turned off and have never shot a jpeg straight from the camera.

Best,

Ray

The real question is I haven't seen this type of effect reported. It is such a major image artifact that I want to know if it is really prevalent when shooting into bright lights in JPEG or RAW mode..

and jaap, this is not an artifact from cmos sensors. :rolleyes:

I asked in Flickr

I asked in Flickr

I asked the guy a few questions in the flickr comments. I asked him about which lens / filter, if he's seen this before and if he also tried DNG for the same pic. I'll post what he says.

ywenz said:
The real question is I haven't seen this type of effect reported. It is such a major image artifact that I want to know if it is really prevalent when shooting into bright lights in JPEG or RAW mode..

and jaap, this is not an artifact from cmos sensors. :rolleyes:
I said: looks like., not :is:rolleyes:

The blue rings are symmetrical in the centre and asymmetrical towards the edges.It suggests something like a lens aberration, a filter flare, more info needed..

Last edited:
I found another pic that shows this posterization effect. An otherwise great shot is ruined by the color banding around the sun...

306517374_2d766f7c95_o.jpg

Unfortunately, that is what digital images do, especially if photoshopped in 8 bits:
Canon 10D Shot RAW, converted to 8-bit, only sharpened and resized. A Cmos sensor does this all the time...

sunband.jpg

Fortunately, the M8, if converted properly, has no such unpleasant tendencies:
Converted to TIFF 16 bits, resized and exported to JPG, nothing else..

supersun.jpg

Your shot :If it indeed was taken with a M8: user error,either in conversion or in post-processing.

Last edited:
jaapv: good to know because that user had a series of sunset photos with the M8 and they all exhibited the harsh banding in the sky, exposure was right on otherwise..

Back