Carl Zeiss LTM Weirdo LTM lens on eBay: "50mm Zeiss Planar"

Carl Zeiss M39 lenses
I've seen some hacked up looking lenses, but that one is by far the most sketchy. A lot of overpriced, beat up, and weird looking camera gear on ebay seems to come out of Poland... I wonder where it all comes from?

The serial on the lens looks like a prototype (V = Versuch in German). But it looks like a custom job with a Leitz rear part and perhaps some Compur shutter parts too.

The serial on the lens looks like a prototype (V = Versuch in German). But it looks like a custom job with a Leitz rear part and perhaps some Compur shutter parts too.

A prototype with that serial was on offer at a Westlicht auction some years ago, but did not sell. I would not be surprised if it had not been in that mount back then. Does anybody have the May 2009 Westlicht catalogue and can check up lot #818?

I think it's a Summitar base, not a Summicron. It's clearly an adaptation - interesting one though!

I've had this thing in my watch list for quite a while. It's definitely overpriced, but it's still kind of interesting. It looks like it's hacked together with the bottom half of a collapsible Summicron, but I don't know for certain. Anyone know where the Zeiss half of this lens came from?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251150989905?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I've seen some hacked up looking lenses, but that one is by far the most sketchy. A lot of overpriced, beat up, and weird looking camera gear on ebay seems to come out of Poland... I wonder where it all comes from?

Puzzling indeed, I saw lots of Leica gears from Poland seller, rather dubious I think. I don't mean any offense with my remark.

Also cache of what looks like "new old stock" Rollei 50mm in QBM mount, could it be "QC reject" from Singapore production? Again no offense here.

but where did they found a planar 50/F2 with that number... you can buy a planar 50/2 in M mount... a 45/2 in G mount... a 50/1,8 in Qbm mount... but no 50/2 looking like that

but if it's a true planar with a good connection to the rangefinder, it must be quite a good lens...

Interesting and possibly well made, but still a bodge. Nothing wrong with a good bodge of course!

I would be willing to risk a tenth of the asking price on it.

Cheers,
Dez

My offer has been rejected.

It's interesting to see that the seller didn't put an automatic rejection above your bid level, though. This tends to show that the seller is expecting to consider bids far below his stratospheric asking price.

Cheers,
Dez

The top half of the lens appears to be from a TLR of some type, the bottom half from a Summitar. No mention about as to how this lens might work. Does one use the leaf shutter? Or is the shutter locked open to allow use of the focal plane shutter? Interesting, but not for that price, the seller should have taken the $161 offer.

Back