Well...I'm going to swap my R-D1s for an R-D1x...

rpavich

Established
Local time
11:48 AM
I love love love this freaking camera! I'm getting used to focusing and am happy as a clam except in one respect: taking out the SD card. I hate it.

I've been a user of Eye Fi cards for years and I have a very satisfying workflow; take a picture, Eye Fi transfers file to laptop and appears in LR in 5 or 6 seconds, ready to edit or whatever. It's like the "poor man's tethering" solution.

Well...I'm not sure that the old Eye Fi card that I bought off of Ebay will actually work in the camera, it comes Monday, but if it doesn't I'm going to get rid of the s model and get an X model that supports 32gb SDHC cards.

I wish I'd have given that aspect of it a bit more thought when I pushed the "buy" button on Ebay...lol.

Question: The current R-D1x's are all being sold out of Japan and say that customs and import duties MIGHT be due.

Anyone have experience on what that may entail?

I don't want to buy a camera for 800.00 and find out I'm going to pay several hundred more in hidden fees.

A moderator here, Jonmanjiro, lives in Japan, and ships lots of stuff here. I'm sure he can help answer questions.

I've not had to pay duty on used lenses from Japan sent by regular air mail.

Make sure the seller lists "used" if the item is not new. Japan to Ohio, USA, took about 4 days.

A moderator here, Jonmanjiro, lives in Japan, and ships lots of stuff here. I'm sure he can help answer questions.

I've not had to pay duty on used lenses from Japan sent by regular air mail.

Make sure the seller lists "used" if the item is not new. Japan to Ohio, USA, took about 4 days.

Thanks for the info..that's good to know.

Tomorrow, after getting the ancient 2gb Eye Fi card, I should know how I stand.

I can't believe i never discovered this gem sooner. It's a joy just hitting the shutter button.

One more Q: how long do you think this camera will last (mechanically speaking)...I've never had a camera that i thought about having for more than a year or two...a better one always comes out....but in this case...it's so far behind there is no reason to upgrade :)

Question: The current R-D1x's are all being sold out of Japan and say that customs and import duties MIGHT be due.

Anyone have experience on what that may entail?

What country are you in? There are no export duties on items going out of Japan, but many countries do charge import duties on items arriving from overseas. If you're in the USA you've got nothing to worry about as there is no import duties charged on used cameras.

If the declared value is not too much and the item is marked as used, they can often slip under the radar and not get charged any import duty though.

What country are you in? There are no export duties on items going out of Japan, but many countries do charge import duties on items arriving from overseas. If you're in the USA you've got nothing to worry about as there is no import duties charged on used cameras.

If the declared value is not too much and the item is marked as used, they can often slip under the radar and not get charged any import duty though.

This keeps getting better and better...I'm in the US so hopefully the order goes in tomorrow!

No customs duties on optical... old reg (or so I have read)

No customs duties on optical... old reg (or so I have read)

I read somewhere about a year ago that quite some time ago, customs duties were exempted on optical equipment. Also read that the exemption was extended to camera's, both film and digital.

You can do a search for customs duty calculators by item and by country. The one I looked at shows no customs duties in the United States for photography equipment. (not just the optics)

Do a search on calculate customs duties...google or yahoo..

I'm in the US and bought some pretty expensive gear like Linhof and Leica gear valued in the thousands from out of the US a d never paid duties.

Well..the deed is done. I was going to wait until verifying that the 2gb card would/wouldn't work but I just said "to heck with it..." and bought the R-D1x. I'll sell the other one on ebay, i know I'll take a loss but it's better than being on the hook for two cameras! :)

This will probably solve the issue I had with triggers too (that some triggers wouldn't work with the R-D1s)

Thanks everyone, for chiming in.

FYI: I'm getting the hang of focusing and it's really becoming rewarding to nail it!

Do let us know if the ancient Eye-Fi card works, I'd be interested in one if successful.

And keep posting photos please.

Do let us know if the ancient Eye-Fi card works, I'd be interested in one if successful.

And keep posting photos please.
I'll certainly do that!

I paid a lot for the card but it's worth it. Nothing is worse than yanking an SD card...not after not having to for a few years.

End of story; My R-D1x came from Japan in 4 days, it was mint condition...box and all.

The 16 gb Eye Fi card works flawlessly in it.

I couldn't be happier.

PS: My 50mm summarit f/2.5 came 10 minutes later :)

Now to go take some pictures!

Back