• Zeiss biogon T 28/2.8

Votes: 92 40.5%

• Total voters
Just like all Hexanon lenses, Hex 28 is great:

4431273780_bd6f2bda21_b.jpg

4431272258_9a2b620e5c_b.jpg

Last edited:
I vote for speed.

If you have money to burn get the Summicron ASPH 2/28.

Otherwise I would suggest the Ultron 2/28. I got one last week and shot 5 rolls with it. Scanned the negs on a Nikon 9000ED at 4000dpi in a glass carrier. If the Ultron 2/28 isn't the bargain of the decade I don't know what is.

Two years ago I had the Ultron 1,9/28. I sold it rather quickly, because it was fairly big and intruded a considerable amount in to the framelines (.72). It may work better on a .58 viewfinder.

I'm thinking about getting a brightline finder, because the 28mm framelines on a .72 body are so far at the edge of frame, that it's difficult for me to see them.

Very few commented on the Hex 28/2.8. But I like mine better than CV 28/3.5 and Zeiss Biogan 28/2.8. Hexanon lenses are very special.

Love the Ultron 28/2 rendering, much like the one from the ultron 35/1.7 (that I regret selling).

Problem is, I tend to find small (albeit slow) lens much more practical. It is is a shame that few modern lens are as compact as the old rangefinder lens (nikkor 28/3.5, kobalux 28/3.5, canon 25/3.5 etc, summilux pre-asph).

So while the ultron is great, I can only take it with me when I am going out specifically to spend a day shooting. For casual walks in the city, I revert to smaller lens... btw the ultron will protrude by around 5 cm (excluding lens shade/cap) from the r-d1 while my smallest (old lens) do with 2.5 cm which makes them easy to carry (fitted to the r-d1) in a compact case.

Philippe

http://streetphoto.free.fr/street/index.html

Philippe,

That's why some of us have expressed our interest in a new small (pancake?) 28mm in M mount by Cosina Voigtländer, maybe something like the years ago unavailable black 3.5 color-skopar... For their line of cameras, it would make sense, because those (28) are the clean framelines in their R4s, and such a lens could also be used with he whole viewfinder on other bodies... Not to mention it would also make a very pocketable set on digital bodies too... I hope they're doing something: even the same 3.5 now on M mount...

Cheers,

Juan

:D Ultron: (I have the f/2, improved Version)
Sharp, fast, great IQ, great Dynamic range in BW, Great Colors, Not too wide for a walk about lens. Very low linear distortion (if any)
Bias of course....;)

Ultron

Ultron

Hi, voted for the ultron alternative, i had the f2 ultron and bought it mainly for the rd1s (sold both) because it´s extra stop, it resulted very helpful to gain more control over DOF.
The rd1s sensor (IHMO) can´t handle the superb ZM biogon 28mm.
Bye

The rd1s sensor (IHMO) can´t handle the superb ZM biogon 28mm.
Bye

What do you mean? I used ZM 25 Biogon, and still use ZM 21/2.8 biogon on RD1S and it handles it just fine. And both of these lenses are rate better than ZM 28. M-Hexanon 28 and many others are also fine on RD1S. So, I really cant see what you are talking about.:confused:

I tried the CV 28/2 and while it was sharp at f2.8, it was rather weak at f2, and what bothered me more, was that the bokeh was very very nervous.

thus it went back.
I then found M-Hexanon 28/2.8 that had considerable backfocus on my M8 (just like the 90/2.8 I also tried), and due to it being rather expensive, I sent it back (the 90/2.8 is on its way to DAG for adjustment).
I finally settled on the Biogon, to safe further trouble, and it is a nice lens.
Very contrasty, sharp, smooth bokeh if you want it, good colors...really all you can ask for, especially at that price.

I have the 28/1.9 Ultron and it's a nice lens. I also have the 28/2.8 Biogon and choose it most of the time because it's simply a great lens and I like smaller more compact lenses. I do use the 1.9 Ultron sometimes and will keep it to use on my IIIf. - Jim

what is the best of the best 28mm , the cron 28mm or the elmarit asph 28mm?? or other??

Last edited:
what is the best of the best 28mm , the cron 28mm or the elmarit asph 28mm??...
I use both. Great lenses. The Elmarit is slightly more contrasty with a slightly harsher bokeh. The Summicron is very sharp as well but a bit smoother. Matter of tastes and depends on your other lenses as well. The Summicron is more 'universal' in that it can match the latest asph lenses but also pre-asph ones like the last Summilux 50/1.4. But again differences are small. If you don't need more speed and you can manage its high contrast the Elmarit is a bargain IMHO.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Well, the ultron seems to be a winner!

I just noticed that the Ultron seems to be discontinued. Any idea if they plan to release a new version? Maybe with bayonet M mount...

The Voigtlander 28mm f/1.9 ASPH Ultron is very nice, compact, fast to focus, sharp,... and, I think the $375-$400.00 used price is here to stay for a while. In EX+ Condition (B&H)., But, when you do find a great used one, don't think too long on pulling the trigger. It is a sought after lens for Film RF and DRF. Just ad a Voigtlander type II M adapter for coding.

I love mine. And that extra stop is a welcome advantage in many cases.

Last edited:
Back