What am I doing wrong? help please!

What's your issue, are you saying that we're purposely misleading PW or that how we do things is BS compared to how you do? You have Epsonscan set to crop so the software clips the blacks then you use the sliders to open them up again.

You have been spoiled with the MF negatives from the Rolleiflex...
Once I started using 120 format there was no going back...

Again, thanks very much...

Yes, I like the medium format negs very much, I love seeing them as they are unrolled to dry. I also just got a mamiya 7 to have a more portable MF camera..These cameras do make 35mm feel easier to snap with, 36 exposures and easy loading is a luxury.

Again, thanks very much...

Yes, I like the medium format negs very much, I love seeing them as they are unrolled to dry. I also just got a mamiya 7 to have a more portable MF camera..These cameras do make 35mm feel easier to snap with, 36 exposures and easy loading is a luxury.

The Mamiya 7 is roughly as good as medium format gets, you'll be able to get amazing scans with the V700. If you truly want better scans, I'd send off for a drum scan, although I think in 99.99999% of cases, the V700 is 10 times better than most of us need.

What's your issue, are you saying that we're purposely misleading PW or that how we do things is BS compared to how you do? You have Epsonscan set to crop so the software clips the blacks then you use the sliders to open them up again.

Guilty. I don't allow Epson Scan to include unexposed film in the overall exposure calcution.
As for misinforation sprinkled liberally about, two statements stood out: "save as sRGB" and "set Gamma to 1.0". Folks whose work I aspire to emulate prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that neither practice will yield superior results.
YMMV.

Wayne

Hello:)..

I am a beginner with film photography..Sold the M9 and got a used M7..
I developed my first rolls last night and scanned them today on my Epson V700..

Scanning is tricky, and obviously I'm learning the ropes with developing too.
I also have a Rolleiflex tlr and am quite pleased with the results but my M7 results are very disappointing.

This is one of the first shots I made with the M7 (and 50mm Summilux asph) of a long bank of cow parsley..I metered carefully and the aperture was at about F4, the light was nice, not too bright..I was interested in seeing the detail in the dof.

Most of the shots are rubbish that I took, I know I have a lot to learn with film but any tips about what I could be doing wrong here would be helpful..

Many Thanks.

Well, don't base your conclusions on a shot of a bank of cow parsley. There are various reasons why that shot may not have turned out. Try a variety of subjects, films, etc. It took me a bit of time to warm up to my M7; now I consider it indispensable.

Thanks..
Mmmm, I love the idea of having a dark room but you giys would have to come and live with me for a while!! :)

There are a gazillion books about wet printing. It's very simple and it's good fun. Besides, we're all here to help you get started. My tiny darkroom serves double duty as a laundry room. I'm going in there for a printing session as soon as it's dark out (light leaks in the DR.)

The Mamiya 7 is roughly as good as medium format gets, you'll be able to get amazing scans with the V700. If you truly want better scans, I'd send off for a drum scan, although I think in 99.99999% of cases, the V700 is 10 times better than most of us need.

Amen on both counts. The combination of the Mamiya 7 & V700 is better than most of us will ever need.

Wayne

Guilty. I don't allow Epson Scan to include unexposed film in the overall exposure calcution.
As for misinforation sprinkled liberally about, two statements stood out: "save as sRGB" and "set Gamma to 1.0". Folks whose work I aspire to emulate prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that neither practice will yield superior results.
YMMV.

Wayne

Srgb has the level/location of each of the 255 (8 bit) values of the color space defined, Adobe98 interpolates the level/location with a 2.2 gamma correction from linear. Both me and the figital revolution guy scan into srgb. We get good scans, me and my good friend the figital revolution guy. I am not trying to edit in the scanner software, I don't need to, but I need Epsonscan to do the conversion, so I set gamma to 1.00 in the levels dialog. Gamma is still 2.2ish/srgb. No charge.

sRGB is for JPEGs. JPEGs are for the Internet.
I scan in 16 bits. I adjust the Gamma slider to suit the original, my mood and/or the phase of the moon.
My way works for me. Y'all do as you like.

Wayne

Learning how to scan sucks, clearly we're doing our best to help, as we should!

Then one day, or most probably night, the Light Bulb is switched on. Your scans look wonderful. Hopefully you took careful notes to repeat the good results. Life is good.

Wayne

When I began my second life with film, I had to use a scanner. I have no space nor is it light proof for a wet darkroom. I went nowhere with scanning for about 6 months. Then I discovered Ken Lee's procedure for scanning with EpsonScan software. Eureka! The Lightbulb went on.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php

Thanks very much for posting this link, my scanning is horrendous and I needed something like this to explain things. Hopefully the OP can learn from it as well.

Back