What do I have? looks like Canon IIIa

Greg_E

Local time
12:06 PM
Trying to decide if the camera I recently bought is anything special. Appears to be a Canon IIIa with 1/1000, T mode, cuts around the film wind knob. says Canon Camera Company Inc on the top and serial number 88513. Came with a Serenar 50f1.8, serenar 28f3.5, and Serenar 135f3.5 and finder for the 28mm. Serial number on the 50 is 77903, serial on 28mm is 12577, and serial on 135mm is 46539. The guy I bought it from suggested he was the original owner, but you know has that goes.

It needs some work and I decided I better check on its value before I tear into it. If it's of value, then it will either stay as is, or get serviced by someone with more experience. If it's common then I'll work on it.

Sorry, I don't have any of the books to help myself with this question.

Does it have an incomplete wind/shutter release problem?

If so, you'll need to have the wind clutch replaced. Replaced, not reinserted or tinkered with to stay in place. Once those are "unsprung" only a replacement will restore proper action.

I mention this prematurely because it seems so common with Canon rangefinders. Not sure why, but I'm guessing that sometime during its history, someone insisted on winding the advance knob the wrong way. The direction it looks like it should go, and does go on many American cameras of the same vintage (e.g., Argus C3). Hmmm.

Oh, I recommend having the replacement done by Don at DAG Camera Repair. He did 2 of mine. Operate as new now.

Back