What do you put on your site/blog?

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
6:19 PM
Do you just stick with photography? Or more? Do you go for Life, The Universe and Everything?

The last two things I've put up have been short stories. Here's the latest: http://rogerandfrances.eu/short-stories1/the-drinkers-prayer

This also raises the question of why we post stuff on line. Obviously we want people to enjoy it. But how much are we just showing off?

It also raises the question of where the money has gone. It's hard to grudge the money that has lifted people out of poverty in India and China; not so hard to grudge the money that has contributed to growing inequality between rich and poor in rich countries, by giving so much of it to the rich.

Publishing has been hard hit by the internet. Some of the magazines I used to write for are gone. Others are shadows of their former selves. I've always enjoyed writing at least as much as photography and if I'm not getting paid for either, I might as well do more writing. What influences what you publish on the web? And why do you do it?

Cheers,

R.

I have two separate websites. One is for my photos and the stories that accompany them. The other is for the photo tutorials that I write. The photo site is for anyone who wants to look at my photos; the second is squarely aimed at photographers who want to learn and become better photographers.

I don't post on my tumblr. I post on flickr just so I can share on forums.

youtube is a WIP. Just got to get off my butt and throw a camera on my camera when Im out shooting but I don't seem to want to do this!

My Blog in Russian is less on photography more on real life. I was offered once to read from it on reading evenings in Toronto organized for Russian speaking public, but chickened out.
It is about how to cook, my poetry and fiction short stories, memoirs on big changes at Perestroika and Eltzin time. Stories about Soviet Time pubs in Moscow. Travel reports. Also just goofing.
And not polit correct pamphlets on current western utopia. This is why bellow I have only link to my nothing but photography blog in English. :)

I only put photos on my website and my primary intent is to share them on various online boards. Also, while my site includes an e-commerce function, I have disabled that function for now.

I had thought about adding a blog or articles about non-photography items of interest but I just don't have the desire or discipline to maintain the site with fresh entries on a regular basis. An idea that I have mulling over is to post an episodic serial (at a pace of one episode per week) for various story ideas but that implies a commitment (and desire and discipline) to develop episodes on a weekly basis. It will also require a major re-design of my website to give less prominence to photos and more visibility to articles and episodes. It may require migrating to a Wordpress-based site rather than my zenfolio-based site.

I may yet do that in the future, but for now, my site is strictly for photos.

When it comes to sharing photos with friends and associates, I tend to make and mail postcards rather then post on line. The image quality is a little higher, but, more important, there seems something a little more special about something you can hold in your hand and is just for you. People who get postcards are happy people.

As to websites, mine was a crowded mess. No client, gallery or museum was going to enjoy sorting through all those pictures just to find the ones they might be interested in. So I started sending out memory cards with a much more limited and specific set of jpegs. The website disappeared. I suspect the only folks disappointed were the ones that used to steal images.

As much as I use the internet, I realize I am an old fashioned photographer.

If I were still in business, I would use this as a marketing tool:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code

This would allow me to be specific with each blog as folks looking for a photographer for, say, a senior in high school, doesn't want to muddle through wedding photographs to get to the place where examples of seniors are found. People are busy, they need to get to what they're looking for real quick otherwise no sale. I would want to receive the contract, not no sale.

Get a code for each group then print the code on cards and also use with emails to drive potential customers to my sites. I'd have a blog for each category (each blog with its own URL) and a QR code that would drive people to look at my stuff.

The QR code, as I understand was developed by Toyota and Denso manufacturing to use with their just in time requiremrnt with manufacturing. They decided to let all of us use use it and it's free.

Here is a place to obtain QR codes:

http://www.qr-code-generator.com

You'd reference your blog or web site URL and generate a code for it.

Information & examples:

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/genius-qr-codes/

My site is just all my photography, which includes reviews, trips, and a portfolio. I think, at times, I should post more things, but I don't. I doubt many people want to read most of what I write anyway.

I live in Japan far away from my family. I used to send them pictures of my daily life and my occasional adventures as e-mail attacments. That became a bit tedious so I started a blog and told everyone that I'd update it once a week. I've been keeping the blog going for a few years now and I really enjoy doing it. It helps to satisfy my creative side and it also brings some self discipline to my photography (if that makes any sense).

http://yokosukamike.blogspot.jp/

Roger and Frances thanks...I have read your website (and articles) for years now.

I started one to host a forum for hand full of people, myself included, who were all banned from another place. :eek: After a couple years we all sort of drifted away from it. I keep it paid up so that the content is not lost and I use it as a backup cloud space.

My site is just all my photography, which includes reviews, trips, and a portfolio. I think, at times, I should post more things, but I don't. I doubt many people want to read most of what I write anyway.

I have followed you fairly close on flickr for some years now I think mainly because your friends and you and myself look alike...strange reason I know...never knew you had a website. Guess I should pay more attention.

Back