What do you think?

Doesn't Leica make an RF ish camera with AF and IS already? Pretty darn good AF from what I hear. What I really think the M camera needs is sensor cleaning. I felt like my eyes were crossed after processing a days shoot with my M9, one of the reasons I sold it. It even gathered sensor dust when I would leave the same lens on for months. How difficult would it be to add that one modern feature?

The prices of vintage lenses is shooting sky high, driven by the film industry seeking out the rendering offered by optics designed before the use of computers.

Photography is my sanity-keeping hobby after working with computers as an engineer for well over 40 years. I've written code for optical feedback loops controlling LASERS, stepper motors, opto-mechanical devices, etc. Implementing AF would not be hard.

I prefer hitting the shim within 0.01mm to adapt a lens to my M9, M Monochrom, and M8. Just a different side of the brain and a skill set that is a counter-balance. When focusing with a rangefinder, prefer to know the F-Stop and mentally compute the required manual correction for the focus. Absolute Control between me, the camera, and the optics.

Doesn't Leica make an RF ish camera with AF and IS already? Pretty darn good AF from what I hear. What I really think the M camera needs is sensor cleaning. I felt like my eyes were crossed after processing a days shoot with my M9, one of the reasons I sold it. It even gathered sensor dust when I would leave the same lens on for months. How difficult would it be to add that one modern feature?

No, all the Leica cameras with AF and IBIS are "SLR-ish".

Had a project last week that called for the use of an M4-P and a 50/2.5 lens. It demanded that I focus, transfer readings from a hand-held meter, set the speed and aperture, wind the film myself, and hold the camera steady. Photos were successful. I don't mind telling you I was utterly exhausted by all of that effort and am still recovering.
p.s.: I can remember seeing President Truman on television, but I was very small at the time.

Caro Bill,

This is very interesting. I use Fuji X100F and Ricoh GR III. One without IS and one with it. Not to using adapters the longest focal length in Fuji is 70mm and in the GR III, 50mm. I never miss the IS in these focal lengths and I agree with ptpdprinter: increasing the ISO a double is no a problem. Both of these cameras have fast-ish lenses and they still look fine at 6400 ISO. IS or IBIS doesn't seem to be a "thing" like you saying in America. On the other hand, I completely agree and understand ChrisCrawford...it can make all the difference. And, many Magnum photographers that I have had the pleaseure of crossing trails with are shooting M4/3. Olympus has a very good system from what I have seen.

But for long lenses, yes, Bill, we like this IS/OS. The longest lens that we use adapted is a Nikon Series E 75-150 on a Fuji body. All the Nikkor long lenses are VR (IS) (whatever), and it helps. For the old lenses, so far, ISO increase has been what is needed to keep shutter speeds high enough...

But Bill, one thing I think we have missed: Viewfinders used to be BIG, no? Manual focus used to be -- easier? -- with large split screen and ground glass. Maybe camera manufacture is making viewfinders smaller because it save money... I don't know.

And the there is this: I shooting this with a friend's camera she put in my hand. It is lousy. Nikon A900. Tiny sensor. IBIS but fixed super zoom. But if one stays inside the limits.... B&W conversion with Snapseed...
Z7O9DkWh.JPG

Ciao,

Mme. O.

Attachments

• Z7O9DkWh.JPG
    Z7O9DkWh.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 0
Back