What does “W/NW” mean?

JohnWolf

Well-known
Local time
3:25 AM
Dumb question, maybe. I know it abbreviates “Words no Words.”

But what does that phrase actually mean to a thread?

John

How is that different from any other post?
Often, an attempt at clarity is not understood.

Even though the OP (er, original poster) was trying to say that text is unnecessary and can be excluded from a post, nevertheless some didn't get it ...
... fooled me for while ... wasn't able to figure the value of "W" divided by "NW", ho ho.

W/NW threads are focused on images rather than gear talk. They invite to go out shooting instead of spending time on palaver.

I always thought is was an invitation to post images around a theme with or without explanation of gear used or description/philosophy of the photograph(s).

One interpretation:

And another:

Last edited:
If my memory is correct (which it may not be), sometime in a land long ago on RFF there were threads intended to be pictures only, no discussions. I think people started titling them W/NW to mean “With No Words,” but then somehow the abbreviation became muddled into Words/No Words because some members couldn’t stop from commenting on pictures in a thread intended to be without comments, and some minor dispute happened over the terminology, and perhaps a moderator decided that there should be discussions on discussion forums, even on threads intended to be pictures only. And now here we are!

If my memory is correct (which it may not be), sometime in a land long ago on RFF there were threads intended to be pictures only, no discussions. I think people started titling them W/NW to mean “With No Words,” but then somehow the abbreviation became muddled into Words/No Words because some members couldn’t stop from commenting on pictures in a thread intended to be without comments, and some minor dispute happened over the terminology, and perhaps a moderator decided that there should be discussions on discussion forums, even on threads intended to be pictures only. And now here we are!
Ah, that makes a lot of sense and is how I interpreted the spirit of the concept.

Personally, I enjoy hearing people’s thoughts about pictures and photography.

Personally, I enjoy hearing people’s thoughts about pictures and photography.

I'm the same. I've got no issue with the W/NW threads and peruse them occasionally, but if I just wanted to see an endless stream of images, I'd mindlessly scroll through Instagram. I've always appreciated RFF for the breadth of the discourse here, and personally, I find it really annoying when people wade into a conversation and drop a photo they've taken with no context or engagement with the conversation at hand. It's no different to spam, and I wish those folks would keep it in the W/NW threads where it belongs.

How is that different from any other post?
I think it means the posts can have words, or no words, just pictures.

Myself, I like to see a little more information to go along with the picture. An interesting caption, for example, and some basic listing of gear. Was it shot with a camera, or an Iphone? There's a lot of photographers here I follow and learn from and I like to see what their thought process was when they took a photo.

Being english not my native language I used some imagination and decided it to be a thread with only images and no words, in case of necessity only a few words. But this is just my thinking...

.....but if I just wanted to see an endless stream of images, I'd mindlessly scroll through Instagram....
Agreed, but I find that energy draining. If there's no common thread, that's just a mindless waste of time; you learn nothing from it.

And if they're centered on a good topic, that's where N/NW can shine, it can be like a discussion, with points and counterpoints. True, not all N/NW achieve that, but sometimes they do.

I'm the same. I've got no issue with the W/NW threads and peruse them occasionally, but if I just wanted to see an endless stream of images, I'd mindlessly scroll through Instagram. I've always appreciated RFF for the breadth of the discourse here, and personally, I find it really annoying when people wade into a conversation and drop a photo they've taken with no context or engagement with the conversation at hand. It's no different to spam, and I wish those folks would keep it in the W/NW threads where it belongs.

This needs to be read in its entirety to be understood and appreciated. So, I quote it fully and completely agree with it.

Mike

Hmm. I always read W/NW as "either words or no words", meaning image posts in the said titled thread that might or might not have any text associated with them.

I dunno. I just look at what I think might be interesting and post a pic or a note when I feel it apropos.

G

Godfrey, I’ve always assumed that if W/NW threads could have either words or no words, then they’re just like any other forum thread, and therefore specifically titling them as “W/NW” would be entirely pointless and redundant (since ANY forum thread could be, in principle, either with or without words). Otherwise we might as well title ALL threads as “W/NW!”

What made the nomenclature of W/NW purposeful was specifying a thread with photos only, absent any discussion. You may also have noticed that we don’t have threads specifically purposed as discussion only with no pictures (Words Only”!)

As I said, "I dunno."

Perhaps my unvoiced notion is that something marked "W/NW" is about photos, not about equipment. But I've not really spent much mental energy trying to understand or define it. I just look, and post if I find something worth posting. I'm much more interested in what people see as/in photos than in all the technical minutiae of every camera ever made... ;)

G

Seems we have general agreement that it’s mainly about the pictures, with or without comment. Thanks, everyone.

I didn’t mean to start a trivial conversation, but I’m a former technical writer and think about such things.

John

Back