What Future for M43?

I will keep one body just for the 15mm/8 body cap lens!
tumblr_pyqacb7wlf1tum3hno6_500.jpg
You definitely have the photographer’s eye, Zeno. Smashing image!

I will keep one body just for the 15mm/8 body cap lens!
tumblr_pyqacb7wlf1tum3hno6_500.jpg

Same lens I used for my "Ghost" photo earlier in the thread. It's a great little lens. I have the Olympus Body Cap 9mm f/8 Fish-eye as well ... Perfect match to the Panasonic GX9, imo. :)

G

All things considered, APS-C sensors are pretty close to the size of micro 4/3. I think it would be very very difficult to tell the difference in pictures if possible at all.

If you look at a lot of youtube videos, you will see people comparing Micro 4/3 prints to full frame prints. These are really enlarged as well, and people couldn't tell the difference most of the time.

Most people are looking at web resolution photographs: you can't really tell the difference in quality between a good iPhone photo and a 4x5 inch format print that way.

The main reasons for me to be interested in different formats nowadays comes down to three things:

1. Different capture formats render a subject in different ways.
  2. The lenses available for various different camera systems and formats.
  3. What my intent for a given tool might be with respect to capabilities, size, weight, and portability.

For example, my "main" grab and go camera is a toss-up between the Light L16 and the Leica CL with either a 28mm or 35mm lens fitted. However, the Panasonic GX9 is an alternative because its format and the lenses I have available to me for it net a total package that is smaller than the Leica, it's far less expensive and a bit lighter weight, and it can return very close to the same quality results. There are times when negative aspects of the L16 (relatively poor responsiveness, more time in rendering workflow) are a stumbling block that the GX9 proves a far better pick than that too... Not to mention video capture that neither the CL nor the L16 do with any real facility, and which is a strong point with the Panasonic camera.

No one camera or format suits all purposes.

Concerning medium format, I think medium format film is worth it. It's also very expensive, and the cameras are clumsier, so I use it less than I thought I would.

A TLR is a great compromise for me since they're pretty small compared to a MF SLR.

My Hassy 500CM with the standard Planar 80mm and WL finder isn't much larger than a typical Rolleiflex TLR, even the f/3.5 models (I have had both together many times). It is a bit heavier, but that's a pretty minor difference. It is more complex and requires different handling techniques, however, particularly in low light.

I'm pretty sure cameras with multiple sensors like the Pixii will be the "future" for compact, high quality dedicated cameras in the future. But the cost of creating all those little sensors and tiny lenses seems like almost the same as one bigger sensor anyway.

But we'll see. I don't think anyone would want their phone riddled with cameras more than the 3-4 sensors they already have, but if someone were to hand me a small camera that could take full frame or APS-C quality photos, I'd take it.

The Pixii has only one sensor, a 12 Mpixel APS-C format sensor. I suspect you're thinking of the Light L16, which is a 16 camera computational photography camera capable of producing up to 50Mpixel images, nominally. It's only a little bigger than an iPhone 8 Plus smartphone ...

Camera vs Keychain
Click on the photo to go to my 2020 album of Light 16 photographs.

It's much smaller and lighter than anything but some folded medium format folders, like my Voigtländer Perkeo II, and can produce image quality on par with a Hasselblad medium format digital when used to best advantage. I've owned and been using it since 2017 and it's a delightful, if quirky, piece of equipment. It certainly has its limitations, but it's made some beautiful photographs for me over the past few years.

G

Reprise: I don't know what the future holds, but my Oly E-1 and E-M1, and lenses, are all still just fine and should be for years to come. They still make fine photos.

I saw a Panasonic GX9 body only for sale in black for about $500 and thought, "Hmm, that would be great for the bicycle with my Olympus Body Cap 15mm f/8 lens!" And it is ... taken on my ride through San Jose today:

Ghost - San Jose 2020
Panasonic GX9 + Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm f/8
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/800

Enjoy!

G
Another very likeable image, Godfrey, and a good advert for the MFT coupled the body cap 15mm f8. The combo takes the biting edge of digital (topic discussed in another thread raised by Helen Hill).

The same thing was said about 35mm film vs rollfilm or larger sheet film for decades. APS film hung on for a while with some amazingly innovative cameras and new, spectacular emulsions, but it died and gave way to the "APS" sized sensors. Then no those smaller sensors vs film, then vs full frame sensors were called not serious at all. Now we have phones which can deliver amazing results (and some which are garbage too) yet the M4/3 is leaps and bounds better than a phone in terms of capability and still the latter comes out as an underdog. Now with APS sensors taking over the compact market, somehow they have been elevated to the "serious" level over M4/3. "But APS is so much smaller than 8x10 chrome, one could never do any serious work with that small camera." ��
Phil Forrest
This is nonsense. I currently use M43 and in the past have used point and shoots with tiny sensors. I don’t own a full frame digital camera and haven’t for years. I have had work in some of the largest news outlets in the world for a few years Now and never has the editor asked what I shot it on.
To state the obvious - the bigger the sensor, the greater detail, and the greater enlargement potential you have for making prints. As I've already admitted, my comments were from my own POV and not intended to challenge anyone who happens to choose this particular format (see post #21 in this thread).

I like to make prints - most are 13x19, which is the largest my printer can handle. A friend of mine made me a 30x44" print from a TIF file (thanks Rudy!) produced from my 24mp M-P 240 - it's currently in a frame hanging on the wall in my bedroom. I doubt an M43 sensor could keep up with that; that's why I have no use for it. If you like the M43 format - for whatever reason - knock yourself out.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread. ...

To state the obvious - the bigger the sensor, the greater detail, and the greater enlargement potential you have for making prints. As I've already admitted, my comments were from my own POV and not intended to challenge anyone who happens to choose this particular format (see post #21 in this thread).

I like to make prints - most are 13x19, which is the largest my printer can handle. A friend of mine made me a 30x44" print from a TIF file (thanks Rudy!) produced from my 24mp M-P 240 - it's currently in a frame hanging on the wall in my bedroom. I doubt an M43 sensor could keep up with that; that's why I have no use for it. If you like the M43 format - for whatever reason - knock yourself out.

If you have a good exposure that produces a satisfactory number of pixels with the right tonal values and the right amount of detailing, what camera format made it is absolutely, completely, 100% irrelevant.

More is not always—nor even consistently—better.

G

Steve and Godfrey, thank you! It´s as always, the best camera/lens is that you have with you!
I have been happy with my G1 for years and only got a full frame sensor for the use of my old lenses.

You be wrong Bill.
https://3.img-dpreview.com/files/g/E~3728494.jpg

I sincerely hope the m43 system continues for at least another ten years. It has been my mainstay system for work for eight years (corporate, commercial and documentary film) and the cameras just keep getting better. I picked up the Panasonic G9 earlier this year and it has been a huge boon to my work, after using the GH3, GH4, GM1 and GX85. I'll likely pick up a GH5S next year, and these cameras will keep me going for another five years like the GH4 before them.

The m43 system manages decent still images with the right lenses and light. The G9's image quality isn't up to a Canon 5D Mark II, but it also lacks the Canon's image shortcomings, like shadow noise and banding. I can lift the shadows and blacks of a GH4 or G9 image with none of the hassles that the 5D Mark II would give.

If I didn't shoot professionally, I'd be happy with the m43 system for most of my personal work, but I'd still want the Leica M9 for its own qualities. At this time, I'm looking at upgrading my full frame system and will probably migrate to either the Canon R6, Leica SL, or Sony A7 III in the forseeable future. But I'll still use the m43 system for its compactness, superb video, IBIS, and overall fun.

If I didn't shoot professionally, I'd be happy with the m43 system for most of my personal work, ...... I'll still use the m43 system for its compactness, superb video, IBIS, and overall fun.

I share the same opinion. At work I grab the full frame or medium format cameras, when I hit the road or for everyday photography it's m43. Not that I haven't used the m43 professionally, as I have on many occasions for advertising/corporate print and website media. It holds up well for many cases, but I wouldn't shoot a billboard with it.

For personal photography I love the compactness of the m43 systems. As I work with larger heavy gear all day, the last thing I want to do is cart it around when I'm not working. The compact m43 cameras are a refreshing break. If I could drag my crew around with me for personal photography, I may change my mind and shoot all my personal photography on digital medium format :eek:

I've never felt the images were compromised for two reasons. I don't print my personal work much more than 24" long edge, and I appreciate the images on their creative and emotional attributes over the absolute best technical qualities. I'll accept some minor technical flaws which largely go unnoticed for the compactness of m43 cameras, or even iPhones. So for me its a great system for my personal photography.

Well, I added back another copy of the Summilux-DG 25mm f/1.4 ASPH to my Micro-FourThirds kit. It was one of my most used lenses in the past, and it looks like it will be again.

As long as mFT can keep producing images as nicely as the GX9 and E-M1 do, I'll keep shooting with them ... alongside my other cameras, of course. :)

Panic Button - Santa Clara 2020
Panasonic GX9 + Summilux-DG 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
ISO 800 @ f/4 @ 1/30

Morning Espresso - Santa Clara 2020
Panasonic GX9 + Summilux-DG 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
ISO 800 @ f/1.4 @ 1/80

enjoy! G

"Equipment is transitory. Photographs endure."

Looks like it is far from slowing down.

I don't think here is any other system with this wide, small and affordable 20mm FOV lens.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/88323...m-f-2-zero-d-mft-lens-is-just-four-oreos-tall

Pen F, this lens and Oly 17 1.8 are tempting update from my trusty E-PL1 and 15/8 pancake. Small camera, tiny, yet fast lenses with normal focus scale.

My compact Canon RP is also good on exposure metering, not so bad for colors and BW, but Canon seems to have zero interest in small and wide lenses for RF mount. They might eventually cough out 40 2.8 RF, but it is not my focal length.

Pen F, this lens and Oly 17 1.8 are tempting update from my trusty E-PL1 and 15/8 pancake. Small camera, tiny, yet fast lenses with normal focus scale.

My compact Canon RP is also good on exposure metering, not so bad for colors and BW, but Canon seems to have zero interest in small and wide lenses for RF mount. They might eventually cough out 40 2.8 RF, but it is not my focal length.

This is definitely my main draw to m43 - they can be set up to be the natural successor to a LTM rangefinder set. Pairing a Pen-F or GX7/9 with any one of the 3rd party manual focus primes provides a perfect setup for someone like me who prefers small size and has no need for AF. For less than $1k USD you can put together a decent quality set of manual focus primes in the 35mm equiv focal lengths of 24/35/50/70/90

I adapted a Nikon F mount Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror lens to the Panasonic GX9 last week to capture the conjunction. Ultra-high ISO (25,800) and quickly encroaching fog and clouds conspired against me to getting any detail in the planets, but I did get a fun photo:

This is the uncropped view ... an equivalent of 1200mm FoV isn't really enough for detailed astronomical work!

Cropping down to the subject matter by a good bit, you can see three of the Galilean moons of Jupiter on the left ... That's Callisto and Io above the planet, and Europa on the bottom limn:

mFT is hardly dead, even if Olympus branded products aren't made by Olympus anymore. Just like Voigtländer lenses are now made by Cosina ... ;)

G

Pen F, this lens and Oly 17 1.8 are tempting update from my trusty E-PL1 and 15/8 pancake. Small camera, tiny, yet fast lenses with normal focus scale. ...

This is the set-up I’m using and it’s excellent, particularly for discreet street photography and travel. Also, the Zuiko 17mm f1.8 allows you to switch back and forth quickly between AF and manual focus.

I shot MFT for years, and have spent most of this year without a MFT kit. I honestly miss it. The GX9 was getting truly excellent for JPEG colors, B&W and malleability of RAW files in-camera. The key for you if you like film cameras is to get a large aperture lens, the larger the better. The Sigma 30mm f1.4 gave me some really filmic B&W photos, great out of camera.

I've ignored Olympus for years, only had an EP1 and an EM10 until about 2016, when I switched to a GX85 and haven't deviated from Panasonic since (till I got rid of it). I started with Panasonic, and had them concurrently most of the time I had Olympus. You know what, Panasonic makes, better, more accessible, sturdier and better thought out cameras than Olympus. There, I said it!

I adapted a Nikon F mount Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror lens to the Panasonic GX9 last week to capture the conjunction. Ultra-high ISO (25,800) and quickly encroaching fog and clouds conspired against me to getting any detail in the planets, but I did get a fun photo:

This is the uncropped view ... an equivalent of 1200mm FoV isn't really enough for detailed astronomical work!

Cropping down to the subject matter by a good bit, you can see three of the Galilean moons of Jupiter on the left ... That's Callisto and Io above the planet, and Europa on the bottom limn:

mFT is hardly dead, even if Olympus branded products aren't made by Olympus anymore. Just like Voigtländer lenses are now made by Cosina ... ;)

G
Great shot, considering the circumstances.
Completely rained and clouds here (south Puget Sound). My longest prime is a 200mm f5 OM Zuiko. Move it to f8 and adapted to my EM10 it does a credible job, but of course 200 is 200, that means at the image plane the moon is 1.8mm diameter. That 600 Sigma looks it does a pretty good job for a mirror lens.

Just remembered I do have an ancient 2.4 inch refractor, 700mm for f11.7
It’s a typical air spaced doublet and one of these days I’ll have to mount the M4:3 to the prime focus just to see how it does.

Back