What future for the Leica Q ?

I had an interesting conversation with a Leica salesperson at the Leica store in San Francisco. I have one on order from another Leica Store but I wanted to hold it and feel it. (by the way it is very well balanced, light and quick to focus).

He was in his late 20's I'm guessing. I told him I don't shoot 28mm very often so it will take a bit to get used to. He agreed but then went into the reasoning Leica made it a 28mm. "In my generation we only use our phones to snap photo's. The average focal length of a smartphone camera is 29-32mm. Therefore his generation may be more likely to get into a real camera and quit using the smartphone since its a perspective they are very comfortable with"

I have no idea if this thought is sponsored by Leica or him alone but if the facts are correct he may be right. i then though of the cost for these young people until he told me he has a M-246 on order for himself.

I'm looking forward to owning a Q and I'm fortunate I can afford to add one to my collection.

Jim

Really? I'm not sure how many smartphone shooters will be looking to upgrade to the Leica Q, nor even to something as cheap as a GR Digital for that matter...

I'm in my 20s and judging from what my peers are doing (which may or may not be representative), Leica would do better marketing a Red dot selfie stick complete with mechanical shutter release.

I recognize that this is likely an attempt to expand their offering in the marketplace and I do like the looks of the Q. But won't this camera steal sales from the M digital cameras?

Without a lens lock release , NO.

28 mm fixed lens, gime a break.

Well, sales are backed up for months already... I guess Leica did the right thing.

Also depends where you buy. I spent months waiting at one dealer, got frustrated & cancelled. Went to other dealer and got out of the store with a Q in hand. Grip is in backlog though!

But yea, deliveries are still not every day thing.

Also depends where you buy. I spent months waiting at one dealer, got frustrated & cancelled. Went to other dealer and got out of the store with a Q in hand. Grip is in backlog though!

But yea, deliveries are still not every day thing.

Right, but my post is from 3 months ago and we live in completely different parts of the world. :D

Right, but my post is from 3 months ago and we live in completely different parts of the world. :D

And I spent those months waiting :) But yea, though I used your comment in my quote it wasn't really targeted at you but rather as reference for other people looking for info on delivery times.

If I wanted a small camera, this is IMO perfect. The thing I hate worst about digital is a dirty sensor, a fixed lens takes care of that issue. I NEVER change lenses, but Leica's offering is perfect for me. I far prefer an EVF, if it is well designed. Will I buy one, I doubt it, as phone cameras keep improving, it serves no purpose in my life.

But it is a beauty. 10 years ago I would have bought it in a flash.

A camera without interchangeable lenses is useless to me. Anyone can do a crop on 28. Stupid
Anyone can crop on whichever focal length you choose. You therefore only gain interchangeable stupidity in your more useful scenario.

I'm an M shooter and I'm interested in the Q. Just because one shoots M cameras doesn't mean that's the only camera they shoot. Nor does it mean it's their favorite. Sure the older shooters might not like the Q, but Leica needs to garner favor with a younger generation.

Strangely the old are living longer but younger are falling to all manner of illness. Cancers, heart, diabetes due to lack of exercise, eating junk food.
drugs etc.
I am 72 and except for a heart condition more fit and healthier than many young folks.
Walk miles on photo shoots, walk a dog, don't drive a car and do NOT eat junk food.
Why I won't buy a new Leica is because the old ones work fine.
Next year Ziggy (M3) will be working since new, 50 years.
Almost every day..

As a person that's 42 years old (and therefore, neither young or old)... I think you guys are being a little rough on phatnev. It could have bee worded better, but I think he was just trying to say that Leica better start worrying about what the younger generations wants in case it can't sell those folks on its M legacy.

I don't see the current Q design as viable for the long term. Mainly because of its fixed 28, but also size and cost. It seems to me a super-niche camera for the committed Leica customer. Ordinary mortals now have so many attractive, flexible mirrorless options. I think the Q will shake out as a bridge camera. (Not that I wouldn't love to have one.)

John

I don't see the current Q design as viable for the long term. Mainly because of its fixed 28, but also size and cost. It seems to me a super-niche camera for the committed Leica customer. Ordinary mortals now have so many attractive, flexible mirrorless options. I think the Q will shake out as a bridge camera. (Not that I wouldn't love to have one.)

John

In Leica land... which IS its own world (and doesn't compete with other manufacturers generally), the Q offers somewhat of a deal. It is by far the cheapest Leica / Leica lens combo you can buy. Add that to the fact that it has some cutting edge technology (EVF, fast AF, etc.) and offers what the M (AF) and the SL (RF shape / small size) cannot, and I think they have a camera that can certainly be popular for years to come. In fact, it still isn't in stock in the US after almost a year. And Leica does not need to sell huge numbers like a Sony does.

I would not be surprised if we see different focal lengths released. The only way I can see this not happening is if they make a interchangeable lens version. Some people **** on fixed lens cameras, but some of us love them.

Back