What gear would you pack ?

Take the fastest lens you have for OR photography. Ted Grant shoots a lot of OR photography with a Noctilux. See his book, "This Is Our Work," if you can find a copy. Some other examples here: http://tedgrantphoto.com/Medical%20page%20-09.htm I'd take more film; it may be hard to find what you're used to shooting in the DR, and you can always bring the surplus back. Ask for hand-inspection of film at airports if you have the time, but a couple of scans isn't worth worrying about.

If you're job is to document the trip -- meaning you will be shooting all the time -- I'd take pretty much everything I think I might need, and put up with the inevitable hassle.

If your primary assignment will be something other than photography, I'd take as little as possible. In fact, I might dump all the film cameras and take a small digital.

If you do take film use 400 and below and you won't have any issues with airport scanners. I agree with taking a fast lens for the OR, but wonder why a room bright enough to perform surgery wouldn't also be bright enough for photography.

If you do take film use 400 and below and you won't have any issues with airport scanners
True in modern airports. Not so true in airports, including regional airports in lesser developed countries where the equipment is outdated and/or not maintained.

Haven't been part of a medical team, but have traveled in numerous situations where photography was not my only purpose.

Two camera bodies (in use, rather than one as a back-up), four lenses, and both color and B&W is something I have taken but hardly ever used. Too many changes to manage.

Fast 35 as standard, wide as second (I've often felt a 24 was too long in some alleys and rooms), and, if you want a third depending on the shooting you expect.

If, if you take both color and B&W film, I agree standardizing on 400, and carrying, 4x ND to give you flexibility.

Unless you are talking many interior low light shots -- in which case 400 is likely too slow -- plan to push or take faster.

All that said, your original set of choices really screams digital -- you can change both speeds and color/B&W with just one body w/o finishing a roll. You can shoot w/o carrying the bulk of the film.

If you're open to that option, you have the Epson RD1, and Leica M8, M9.

How will your output be used/displayed? Will you have regular access to recharge?

Good luck.

Giorgio

Wow ! This thread seems to have come back to life after 2 weeks !
Thank you all. Here is what I can pick from-

Leica M6 and M7 bodies- (I need both metered for - indoor light - and able to work if meter fails)

ZM 28/2.8 and 50/2 OR
Rokkor 40 and 90 OR
CV 21/4 and 50/2.5 OR
'Lux 35/1.4 and 'Lux 50/1.4

About film- I love Tri-x, and can shoot upto ISO1000 (for Diafine). I also have 10 or so rolls of Neopan 1600. For color, I like Pro 400H, but wonder about Fuji Press 800 to.
I guess I could shoot in color and convert to B+W later.
About 40 rolls total, I think.

A Lumix G1 digital, with its 20/1.7 lens. The legacy lenses are not as easy to use, though I'll take the adapter. Who knows, if I can sell more gear- maybe get a X100 ? (It may not be available, though)

Any thoughts about tripods/beanbags/gorilla pods etc. ?

Dominican Republic has the US type power supply and sockets, so I should be fine.
With the digital, I might be able to upload to a storage device, or possibly a cloud server.

And finally, my role in the trip. Being a Physician, I do have some clinical duties, but this is largely a surgical team. The trip photographer has (in the past) been someone with a digital P&S, who would get about 50 pictures to put in the hospital's monthly publication, and to distribute to friends and family. I am hoping to raise the bar a bit !

While this is different type of work than I am used to, I would keep the M2 as a back-up body (not hanging around neck) and use the M7 only - AE will allow you to shoot faster.

I would carry 2 lenses - one on camera one in pocket. Probably 21 + 35 , or 28 + 50 - depends on your preferences. I agree that a long lens would get little use.

Just one word on the Color->to->BW conversion - if you are used to orange or red filtering, than you may find it hard to keep the banding (e.g. in sky) from appearing. Otherwise you will be fine. I would probably opt for the new Porta 400 to keep things simple as it seems to be an excellent film (or maybe take the Provia 400X which I like very much) - of course unless you do not decide on BW only.

If you plan to take digital camera on top of the film than have a look at the Ricoh GXR with 28 and 50 lens modules.

One more possible modus operandi would be using the film for BW only and the digital for color. Just thinking loud ;)

Whatever you choose please post some results once you are back!

Have a safe trip.

Just my 2 cents, a 28mm & a fast 50mm. You will not use the 90 much at all. I took a trip in November for 5 days. Most all of my shots inside & out were shot with my 28. Very few with the 90mm, some with the 50mm. Less is better.

Words that resonates with insight. :cool:

Back