What is it with the magnetic Leica attraction?

rpavich

Established
Local time
7:15 PM
What IS it about the Leica name that makes grown men do irrational things like lust for an 8 year old Leica M8 when they have a perfectly fine R-D1x that they love?

There is just SOMETHING that Leica is putting in the water that makes rational thought impossible when it comes to ownership.

I have an Epson R-D1x that I dearly LOVE and it's giving me great images. I love everything about it, and yet I've spent the better part of a morning (from 1:30am, I get up early) to now (4:15am) surfing the threads pertaining to M8 worship.

What IS this sickness that Leica can, and does induce???

I can't comment on M8, as I in cameradom don't buy disposable electronics, but Leica has the sexiness that other cameras seldom do have. The closest thing that comes to my mind is a Rolleiflex TLR.

I have an Epson R-D1x that I dearly LOVE and it's giving me great images. I love everything about it, and yet I've spent the better part of a morning (from 1:30am, I get up early) to now (4:15am) surfing the threads pertaining to M8 worship.

After all this surfing you probably know that between the M-8 and R-D1x, Leica is not the "irrational" one. It's a better camera in almost every way for not much more money.

Not all that long ago I was in the same position as you rpavich.

I wanted an M8 after I had my R-D1 for a while for no good reason really, other than it was a Leica.

I'm glad that I managed to stave off digital Leica lust as it allowed me to buy a couple of M2's along with some classic Leica lenses. I also added a Rolleiflex.

Looking back, having an M8 would not have improved my photography. I feel it would have had the opposite effect for the type of photographs I like take - b&w@1600, (mainly) indoors, low light, night, dark and moody.

The R-D1 has remained my favourite. It's fun, it co-operates, I take chances with shots that I never would with my other cameras. It feels a part of me as I'm using it. There isn't much thought process going on as I compose and shoot.

I love the thing. I'll never sell it. If it breaks, I'll buy another.

After all this surfing you probably know that between the M-8 and R-D1x, Leica is not the "irrational" one. It's a better camera in almost every way for not much more money.

Lol...except that I HAVE read the threads comparing the two and no...it's certainly not a slam dunk at all.

I don't want to turn this into an argument thread about the M8's superiority..I was just musing on the "magnetism" of the Leica cameras.

I was just musing on the "magnetism" of the Leica cameras.

You probably realise this already, but hanging around this place is not gonna help at all!

I'm speaking from personal experience here... as I managed to resist the Leica magnetism for the first couple of years, vowing to stick to my Nikon rangefinders, but I eventually caved and now I have more Leica gear than Nikon rangefinder gear :eek:

Own one and be done.

In my case, a Leica M4-P.
The only digital Leica M that would buy is the one that can only take B&W pictures, whatever that's called ME, MM, M34245100, something like that :)

There are so much more to explore in the world of photography other than Leica.

What IS it about the Leica name that makes grown men do irrational things like lust for an 8 year old Leica M8 when they have a perfectly fine R-D1x that they love?

There is just SOMETHING that Leica is putting in the water that makes rational thought impossible when it comes to ownership.

What IS this sickness that Leica can, and does induce???

What is it with the worship of the Epsom rd1x? It's all the same. Use what works for you and don't fret over what others choose.

Use what you have, then.

Unless you are begging RFF folks to talk you into M-8. I'm sure they can... ;)

No..not at all. I was just wondering what kind of witch-doctor mojo the Leica name has to make someone who has a perfectly fine rangefinder lust after a Leica?

But since you brought it up.... :) lol

You probably realise this already, but hanging around this place is not gonna help at all!

I'm speaking from personal experience here... as I managed to resist the Leica magnetism for the first couple of years, vowing to stick to my Nikon rangefinders, but I eventually caved and now I have more Leica gear than Nikon rangefinder gear :eek:

I'm starting to realize that!

M8 has much better crop factor and much higher resulution.
This is the reason why it costs just reasonably more comparing to Epson.

OP, seems to have no money shortage, with buying of two Epsons and Leica lens.
This thread indicates what M9 is making its way already ;)

M8 has much better crop factor and much higher resulution.
This is the reason why it costs just reasonably more comparing to Epson.

OP, seems to have no money shortage, with buying of two Epsons and Leica lens.
This thread indicates what M9 is making its way already ;)

Lol...Oh I have a shortage... :)

I'm desperately trying to get rid of my other Epson! (and then pay off the credit card.)

But the siren song of the M8....

It doesn't apply only to men! My fiancée was a Nikon/Miranda/Minolta user for many years, still loves her F4 and RB67, but got interested in Leica after seeing some things I was doing with my M3 and trying it out. Then I got her a digital M and vintage Summilux and the slippery slope started. We went to a local store that sells accessories and used gear in order to buy a filter for her Miranda, and before you know it she's looking at a 32-year old R4. It was just so attractive and felt so good in the hand that she negotiated the purchase of it without having a lens to go with it. The owner of the store said, "The former owner treated it with love, but after all these years, let me keep it for a day and I'll put new seals in it." Next day we went back to pick up the body and she ended up negotiating the purchase of a 60mm macro- Elmarit. So now she has a nice Leica kit for under $700. "I always wanted a film Leica since getting to know yours, and this reminds me a lot of my old Minolta and has Leica glass," she says. Now she has her eyes on a 19mm Elmarit.
Gadzooks! What have I unleashed?

Back