What is your favorite M mount lens and why?

So far my 2.8 Summaron 35mm (M2-version). Images are sweet - and the handling and build quality are near nigh perfect. Every time I pick up the M2 with Summaron it just feels "right".

Greetings, Ljós

It's too difficult to classify which is the most favourite lens, I always use the Summicron 35mm ver 3 for streetlife, sometimes for portrait.

I have the 35 Summicron V4 and the Elmarit-M 90 and a tabbed Summicron 50 but for me it's definitely the ZM 50 C Sonnar. Sharp, fantastic isolation of the subject wider then f4 and well built and compact.

I feel like I've taken my best photos with a 50mm Summicron.
But my most used lens is a 35mm pre ASPH Summilux.

So its hard to choose between the two.

Summicron 35 v4, but for that matter am sure I could be happy with v3 or the aspheircal anyway :)

Summicron 50mm f/2 rigid, Leica M3 and Tmax400.

Erik.

6026531917_4b388fc2a5_b.jpg

40mm Summicron. The lens has a fistload of stellar traits, and no bad habits. It's sharp, crunchy, has exceptionally yummy bokeh, and has a very natural, "no tricks" angle of view. It's furthermore tiny, lightweight, and endearingly oddball with its practical, bespoke collapsible rubber hood and its rarer-than-hen's-teeth framelines.

I have a 50mm v.2 Summilux that makes even more jaw-dropping negatives (the detail sharpness is less crunchy, smoother, more Zeiss Sonnar-like, and the pictures it makes look more grown-up than the Summicron's), but it doesn't perform consistently across its entire aperture range the way my 40 does. It's also so heavy that it's not my go-to choice as a walking-around lens. The 40 beats it with the sum of its parts.

From the meagre selection available to me, definitely the rigid Summicron. Very high resolution and a lovely look to the images it creates.

ZM 50 C-Sonnar. Classic design, modern coating.

I only use it on the M8 - the crop helps with portraits and limits the effect of focus shift.

Zeiss Sonnar C 1.5/50.
Relatively small and ligth yet bright, lovely rendering, two lens characteristics in one lens, 50mm focal length, and affortable.

(Now if they would only make a 35mm version to have as ~50mm equiv on the M8...I shot 50mm almost exlusively)

Last edited:
Back