What is your oldest email address?

Archiver

Mentor
Local time
1:39 PM
Our first email address was the one we made when signing up for internet in 1997. It has the domain name of our ISP at the time, which changed when the ISP was bought by another company, but the email address remained the same. Mum still uses that email address, but I moved on to webmail with Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail. Our original email address would be at least 27 years old.

My first Hotmail email address must be about 26 years old, as I recall first using it in 1998. It has survived multiple jobs, girlfriends and house moves.

My oldest Yahoo address is coming up to 24 years old. It was created in October 2000.

Time flies.

My first email was:

x,[email protected], back when you logged into the system as as [x,y]

My second email was:

something!something!something!something!me in the old UUCP world

If memory serves, an acquaintance at the University Of Chicago set me up to route through their uucp infrastructure.

Eventually, that "bangist" form of email gave way to my current "domainist" email format: [email protected]

Along the way, this led to a career in technology and networking and I became more familiar than I ever wanted to be with the Unix "sendmail" routing program. This was used to take email to originating on any kind of a computer system and get routed to any other. Reading its configuration files was like looking at cartoon cursing (these days, it's a lot easier with more modern tooling).

Ahhhh, memory lane. In a very few years I plan to retire and never much worry about any of this stuff ... well, at least I want to spend more time with my dear friends, Schneider, Wisner, Graflex, Mamiya, Nikon, and Leica ...

My oldest address was my first name plus the domain name of my then employer - it was a very, very early Internet email address (from circa 1994). It was eventually taken away as the domain went away. As the Internet and Web matured, some websites refused to accept that email address legitimate because, apparently, it was considered too simple to be legitimate!

Back