What lens design type is the CV 35/2.5 Color Skopar?

Local time
10:48 AM
Hi all

Stuck at home during our new social distancing world the mind starts to wander to insignificant gear related things ... Being in love with my Zeiss C Sonnar it occurs to me that I do not know what type of lens design the Voigtlander 35mm 2.5 Color Skopar PII is — does anyone know?

Is it a modified double gauss, or perhaps even a modified tessar? Or, for all I can tell, a modified biogon?

Any more knowledgeable info would be appreciated.

Stay safe.

6d99fac691b4f9fc882b342ffd0e3d00.jpg

And while I am at it, is anyone also able to tell me why I can not use apostrophes when tapping out a post in RFF (using the Tapatalk app) without the text appearing funny? Like I said ... mind wandering

to me looks like modified sonnar
7artisans sonnar versions in 35mm..
35/2
lens35F1_2.jpg

35/1.2
silver-7Artisans-35mm-f2-lens-for-Leica-M-mount-MTF-chart-and-lens-design.png

seems like 35/1.2 is almost exactly the same

The CV 35/2.5 looks too symmetrical to be a Sonnar type to me. I would say it was a double-gauss. And I own and love a ZM C Sonnar 50/1.5 also, which I find to be an excellent and very characterful lens.
John Mc

i must disagree-its not even close to double gauss. also it has that triplet in back which is main thing that makes sonnar sonnar... and its absolutely similar to 7artisans 35/1.2 and that one is based on sonnar... could be biogon/sonnar crossover...

I think we can rule out modified Tessar, since the Tessar has only three groups, and the Color Skopar has five.

It's a Pre-war Biogon (asymmetrical Sonnar-derived) like the original 35/2.8 for Contax, instead of the more famous post war, symmetrical retrofocal one.

It looks almost identical to the ZM C-Biogon, which means the designation is actually interchangeable. Warrants the 7Artisan's Sonnar claim too.

Since both the Sonnar and Tessar derived from the Triplet, you can take it as some sort of modified Tessar as well.

Many thanks. A kind of biogon makes sense (I will look at the ZM C Biogon to compare out of interest). I gather it is a mish mash of various types as suggested here by the replies.

I always rated the 35/2.5 Color Skopar as a Biogon type.

It looks like the diagram labels of the 7artisan lenses are switched. See the f/1.2 curve at first diagram. Also Fig. 1 is a typical highspeed Ernostar design where Fig. 2 isn't.

BTW, who has an Cosina/Voigtländer lens catalogue of the early 2000's?
Many of the lenses of that era are discontinued now, and I'm looking for less pixelated diagrams...

Cheers,

Back