What light meter do you carry with your LTM?

Sometimes I just use Sunny 16, otherwise I'm usually also carrying either a film XA or digital LX3 camera in a pocket so I just use the meter in either of those.

Another vote for the VC Meter II. Plenty accurate enough and it fits in the case while mounted on the camera (I use a Lowepro Lens Case 11x14 which has plenty of padding, fits a Barnack with room to spare, and also works for a Nikon S3 in a Luigi's half-case)

I'm another guesstimator. I used to shoot weddings on Nikon FM2's before moving to Leica's and got into the habit of guessing an exposure before validating in the camera meter. I chose those cameras because the battery only powered the meter so the shutter would still work just fine in case of battery failure...as a result I felt it was important to make sure I could keep functioning if there was a battery failure too.

I wanted to be sure that in the spur of the moment I could still get a decent shot while I fished for a spare battery so practiced fairly relentlessly for a long time.

Never needed it because of battery failure but it came in very useful on several occasions even with digital - when a registrar unexpectedly opens curtains just before the couple kiss you need to be able to judge that 6 stop exposure shift and be accurate enough not to blow the moment.

Digital made me lazy for a while if only because it limited my paranoia about second-guessing the meter, but I can still guess within a stop or so 9 times out of 10 which is good enough for tri-x.

Started with using an l-208, but disliked the needle. Moved on to the Digisix, but disliked the multifunction (clock, thermometer, timer, etc.) - never on the right mode, light meter, when I needed it.

Finally settled on a Luna Pro Digital and haven't looked back since. I still have the Digisix and will use it when portability is a priority. Otherwise, I prefer the Luna Pro Digital.

Sekonic 208 - used mostly as an incident meter and kept in my pocket - for periodic checks. To much variability in the brightness of our cloudy days most of the year for me to nail 'sunny 16' style with enough accuracy to get the negatives I want. I use this meter because it is pocketable and because I prefer a needle display so I can easily see a range of potential exposure options. I'd love to be at a point where I could translate EV directly to different speed/aperture/shutter combinations but I haven't bothered with that yet.

Mostly sunny 16, but ever so often I carry a Westonmaster IV or V along, just to keep in style ;)

I have a couple of Gossen Sixtino 2's which are small and accurate but one packed up on me and now I don't trust the surivior not to do the same, so I am going to shoot a film just using my eyes and experience and see how it turns out.

Been using a Sekonic L-308 for over twenty years. Not much of an aficionado when it comes to Light meters, this one works, so I use it. Might be smaller, lighter ones out there.

Best,
-Tim

Minolta ivf mostly, if being critical the spotmeter f. Seeing these posts reminds me I must dig out the Weston V. I remember a conversation once with a now deceased famous DOP and he confided that after trying everything Westons were just as accurate!

Hi,

First i used a gossen sixtomat of course selenium cell, which works great!

Second i used the VC meter only becuase it could be attached to the shoe and it has a narrower field of measurement.

But after a while i just used my brain to make exposures.

:cool:

The last meter I bought and the one that I like the best is the Sekonic L-308s.

I've also tried the Sekonic L-208 Twinmate, L-508, L-398, an old Gossen Pilot 2, and a Gossen Luna Pro F but stuck with the L-308s for most occasions when I need a meter.

Frankly, the L-308s feels cheap but I can't fault its performance especially as an incident and flash meter. It's a nice size that I can wear almost without noticing and is the one I grab when I bring a meter with an RF kit.

Back