What on earth is it?

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
2:30 AM
It has a (rotating) Leica bayonet on the back, some sort of screw mount on the front, and it says LEITZ CANADA on the back of the bayonet rotation tab. Focus travel is a bit over an inch: tubes sliding within one another can be moved via a combined lever (just push-pull) and geared drive (twist and the push-pull lever moves). There seem to be stops for maximum and minimum travel and a third lock in the middle. What on earth is it?

Cheers,

R.

Attachments

• Front TN.jpg
    Front TN.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 0
My first thought was microscope related, but on second though I think for attaching your M to a telescope. I assume the focus levers lock?

strange adapter

strange adapter

I seem to remember seeing one of these in a Leica Fotografie back in the 70s. It substituted for the focusing helicoid for the 200 lens. Use the knob on the side to push-pull focus.
WES

It is called a FOCORAPID; part number 14111. It dates from 1963. It is a a rapid focusing device for the Visoflex II and III systems with pre-selection of three distances.

I found the information on pages 51 and 52 of a book called (the) Leica Accessory Guide, part of which I have as a pdf download - I'm afraid i don't know anymore about the book or the FOCORAPID device.

I hope that helps a little and that others may be able to explain more about how it was to be used.

Regards

Andrew C. More

It is called a FOCORAPID; part number 14111. It dates from 1963. It is a a rapid focusing device for the Visoflex II and III systems with pre-selection of three distances.

I found the information on pages 51 and 52 of a book called (the) Leica Accessory Guide, part of which I have as a pdf download - I'm afraid i don't know anymore about the book or the FOCORAPID device.

I hope that helps a little and that others may be able to explain more about how it was to be used.

Regards

Andrew C. More
Dear Andrew,

Thanks very much. I wondered if it was a Focorapid but I recalled them as being quite different -- I was thinking of the push-pull rapid focus grips, the Novoflex style Televit. I should have Googled Focorapid.

Its owner should also be quite pleased when she finds out what it's worth. Yes, it's a bit scabby, but it's also very rare. I'll just go and try it on a Viso with a 20cm (hers too)! She's the same person as inherited the five Leicas and the screw-mount 90/2 Summicron that I describe on the site.

Cheers,

R.

Addendum: didn't work! So I'll have to start playing with other adapter rings and lenses. An OUEPO fits so I should be able to use the Summicron on it.

Cheers,

R.

Back