What Picture Series SURPRISED you the MOST?

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
2:39 PM
I have a hunch our biggest limitations as photographers is our own imaginations.

What photo series (stills) surprised you the most ? WHAT WAS THE SERIES ABOUT? WHY DID IT SURPRISE YOU ?

For me, it was something I had never imagined or expected to see.

At a camera show in Oakland California, a beautiful twenty something girl showed me a series that flat out astonished me, and still does. Its one of those things, you had see it to understand it.

1st of all, her camera (s) were hand made pinhole cameras shooting B/W film. Not earth shattering, but for sure less commercial than the Leica M240.

The subject choice was brilliant, the pics spectacularly beautiful.

Of all things, she was photographing fast moving (LOL)
GARDEN SNAILS with a PINHOLE camera!

The thought never would have occurred to me.

But the pics, WOW.

Stephen

The work of Rimaldas Viksritis few years ago - the one he won the Discovery award in Arles.

Regards,

Boris

One afternoon a couple of years ago...2 shows in neighboring galleries.
Richard Learoyd and Doug Rickard.

i'm not sure if they were really the most surprising i've seen, but igor posner's "seconds thoughts"and "no such records" series definitely stunned me a little. erwin olaf's book also had some things i didn't quite expect.

This is a challenging question. The first series that springs to mind is the Tarkovsky Polaroids. Each photo like a painting in light; simple subjects rendered with great beauty. He changed the way I see.

Yes, Tarkovsky's polaroids are really something special. And so very much "his".

Mario Giacomelli's aerial landscapes. They astounded me and quite likely changed how I looked at photography as an art form.

Back