What Should I Bring?

angeloks

Well-known
Local time
8:49 PM
Ok, I'm leaving for 4 weeks: Hong Kong and Vietnam mainly. I'm visiting a friend then we gonna travel for 2 weeks together.

Here's what I got :

Leica IIIg
50mm Millenium Nikkor with LTM adapter
12mm Super Wide Heliar

Nikon F100
17-35mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 AF-D

I have a NEX5 with the 16mm along the Nikon Tilt Transformer for Sony and some LTM/NEX adapters. I also considered buying the Nokton 35mm f1.4. I'll be doing some hiking, but weight isn't that much of a concern. What you guys think?

My first idea is to bring the Nikon gear and buy the 35mm f1.4 for the NEX. The Tilt adapter is kinda fun and for landscapes, the 17-35mm will give me great results. For B&W street photography, the F100 + 50mm f1.4 shouldn't be bad either.

Last edited:
I can't really say much but most of my travel has been done with an old M4-p and 35mm Summicron lens. These days we wll have a Panasonic LX3 as well. Lots of gear disturbs my concentration.

The wide end of focal lengths seems plenty covered.. but there isn't anything longer than a 50mm on the NEX. Instead of doubling the F100+50/1.4 with a NEX+35/1.4, have you considered taking along something that gives more tele? Doesn't mean you have to lug a 300/2.8 or 70-200/2.8 along, but there are alternatives that provide plenty of flexibility.. the 70-300VR comes to mind here, or what about a 90mm Tamron macro?

Given what you've listed though and assuming you're not a long lens person, I'd take the NEX+16 plus Nikon adapter and the F100+17-35+50. Should get most situations covered..

I've been enjoying traveling with the NEX-5, Sony 16mm, one of my various rangefinder 35mm lenses, and either my Voigtlander 50/1.5 or Contax G 90/2.8 for tele (sometimes both.) Ive been using a Clearviewer, too.

I'm inclined to agree that the Nikon with the 17-30 should go. For me the NEX would be optional, but perhaps nice for being able to give someone an immediate copy. You might want to consider a small P&S instead. I agree you should consider at least one tele, for me, no smaller than a 135mm, and no larger than a 200. You are then covered from 17mm to 135/200mm. A good range. The IIIg with the 50mm for backup.

But that would be me. Only you can decide what you want to carry/protect on such a trip. I am looking forward to seeing your photos when you return. Enjoy and stay safe.

China and South East Asia last year:
- M4-P + Ultron 35/1.7
- Olympus E-P2
- XA4 specifically for Kodachrome.

You really appreciate compact and lightweight kits at times like these.

I am similar to douglasf13. My recent trips, I had a Nex-5 with 16mm, CV 35mm f2.5 & a Jupiter-9 85mm f2.

For film I had an R3M with CV 40mm f1.4 on it.

I reckon in future, I can get by with just:

Nex-5, 16mm kit
R3M with a 40mm
Jupiter 85mm f2

Back