What the best 35 vintage lens?

wrs1145

A native Texan looking for the light.
Local time
11:38 PM
A side-by side comparison: a Jupiter 12 or a Canon 35/2.8, both with T-max 400 film on a Canon Model P?

tmax 400 fim

Last edited:
Let me clarify my somewhat confusing prior post. I wanted to know if anyone has a done side-by side comparison a Jupiter 12 to a Canon 35/2.8.
If so, if you have any pictures, can you post them?
My apologies,
Bill

What it has to do with best 35 mm vintage lens?

Just in case, I have no idea how many versions Canon has. I had several J-12.
I have now so called Russian Biogon.
I had the opposite, one of the last if not last year they were made. 1991 or so.
And at least one silver made somewhere in the middle. Rendering was different between at least RB and end of SU.

Ko Fe:
What is the real/proper name for the "Russian Biogon"?

Thanks,
Bill

I assume it could be a BK - Biogon Krasnogorksy or another early production Jupiter-12 which had Schott glasses in them for quite a while.

Here is only one real name I'm aware of.
Jupiter-12. German optics are within few first made.

My 1952 J-12 has Zeiss Serial numbers and is one of the best vintage 35mm lenses that I own. The "BK" (BK Biogon Krasnogorsk) lenses were the first assembled in the USSR out of Zeiss parts, are very rare- maybe made up to 1950 or so. Far fewer made than the ZK lenses. I've handled one in LTM, years ago. The RF cam had an issue- seemed to jam up against the RF pickup of a Canon III. The 1952 J-12, "Just a little more refined" does not have that problem.

Back