what the ??? M9 Green Stripe

tajart

ancien
Local time
9:45 AM
here is something i haven't experienced or seen before, and it only happened on this one exposure (thankfully).
M9, Summicron 28 @f2.
any thoughts?

flare by arttaj, on Flickr

If the sharp edge of that greenish patch is exactly in the middle of the original image file, then I'd suspect some odd sensor issue. I think raid had a complete black out of one half of the image which supposedly is related to how the M9 sensor data is divided into two halves. Maybe this is kind of an early warning sign of a related issue. Check with Leica directly.

M8? Well known issue, extensively documented. Blown highlight on the edge of the image gives the infamous green stripe. A nice example. No cure, except stay away from bright lights on the edge of the frame.

M8? Well known issue, extensively documented. Blown highlight on the edge of the image gives the infamous green stripe. A nice example. No cure, except stay away from bright lights on the edge of the frame.

The OP said [M9, Summicron 28 @f2. ] not M8 but it's technically the same sensor, isn't it ? Just full frame.

It is quite rare on the M9 but it does occur. The cause is that the reference pixels on the edge of the frame which are supposed to be sealed against incident light catch some light nevertheless. In itself it is no indication af a sensor defect, fortunately.

wt?

wt?

i'd only heard and read about the dreaded green line syndrome, and thought it was something a bit different looking as i hadn't seen any examples posted.
i had an M8 before the M9, and this has been my only experience with this kind of glitch.
i was working to refine the composition and dof, so the frames on either side of this exposure were just fine, so a few were very, very similar to this composition, so it was something of a shock to see.

thanks for all of your input to clarify this question for me.

follow up

follow up

to follow up, Leica, NJ confirmed the problem, "the dynamic range of the sensor was greatly exceeded and this banding is an after-effect of pixels being quite overly saturated with exposure." (the exposure in the green stripe image was user error, not camera).

and the image i was going for is here:
14598160415_13faeb1070_c.jpg
[/url]Under Tiger Lillies by arttaj, on Flickr[/IMG]

My M9 is now with Leica Inc NJ for only showing tbe left half of each image. I noticed that there were green streaks in these images on my M9. I wonder if the sensor problem is one.

Back