What to bring on my AK 2008 summer trip

pevelg

Well-known
Local time
2:33 PM
I am heading off to Alaska this Summer, late June through early July (2 week trip). Here is the gear I will be bringing:

1 Mamiya 7 w/ 80mm f4 lens + polarizing filter
1 Leica M6TTL w/ 35m f1.7 CV Ultron
1 Leica SF20 flash, can be used by both cameras
1 39mm polarizing filter
1 Domke film bag with a estimated 35 rolls of film capacity
1 Camera bag, MAYBE a tripod
1 Gossen Luna Pro S light meter just in case of meter death
1 Camera bag that fits all above items

------------------------------------------------------------
Now, here is the film I will be bringing

35mm:
10+ rolls of Kodachrome
10+ rolls of ?a?

120mm:
10 +/- rolls of Velvia 100
5 +/- rolls of Velvia 50
5 +/- rolls of Provia 400X
5 +/- rolls of ?b?

I need some advice on the ?a? and the ?b? films

For ?a?, I need a fast film to take low light photos. I am going to be camping out and I need a fast film. I am most likely wanting something that will be B&W as I have been disatisfied with most color film rated at ISO 400 and above (to much grain).

For ?b?, I also need a fast film. The Velvia 100 is for landscapes, as well as the Velvia 50. This will be my first time shooting Velvia 50 and I am hoping it gives a better skin color that Velvia 100. The Provia 400X will be for lower light shooting (morning and evening) and also for portraits I think. So, the ?b? can be more Provia 400X, or it can be a fast B&W film.

Majority of night shooting will be done on the Leica, with the Mamiya more for daylight times (curse that f4 speed on the Mamiya!!!). Of course, in Alaska, during the time I will be there the night time will be very short and not all that dark, but still...

Anyways, what films would you recommend for my ?a? and ?b?.

Also, I am considering buying an extra lens for the Leica, 75mm to 90mm. The most important part is that it uses a 39mm filter thread and that the cost is below $450.

Just edited my signature to indicate that I now longer own the Leica 90mm Elmar (it's sale funded my Mamiya 7 kit :))

How do you want to change the 120 film for specific purposes ? midroll changing ? Or do you want to spend an entire roll and then change ?

Don't you think bringing so many film types might distract you from shooting ?

(if it was me, I'd take 135 color pos. and B&W neg.just as you, but in 120 at most 3 types: color pos. low ISO (50/100) and hi ISO (400) and B&W neg. probably 400)

Just BTW: are you sure one 35mm lens is enough ? Or do you prefer to zoom by your legs ? be prepared to come home very tired - Alaska is very large ;)

Hmm, I see you point. I can probably get rid of one of the Velvias. I've shot 100 in 35mm all the time and just recently started using Kodachrome. I love Kodachromes rendition of skin tones compared to Velvia 100. I heard that Velvia 50 may be better, so I was going to test it. What is favored here, out of those who have used both? With 120mm I'm not overly worried about different film as I have only 10 shots per film.

So what B&W for 35mm and should I use Velvia 50 or 100 for 120mm?

Just BTW: are you sure one 35mm lens is enough ? Or do you prefer to zoom by your legs ? be prepared to come home very tired - Alaska is very large

I know... This is going to be my fourth trip there!!! Last trip I lost quite a bit of weight from all the mountain hiking and biking. I plan to do the same this year. Camera bag will be much heavier as well. I am thinking about adding the CV 75mm. My only disappointment would be that the filter thread is 43mm, meaning I'd have to buy an extra polarizer filter. I think the 90mm CV is too large for a f/3.5, considering I came from the 90mm Elmar. Anybody have a comment on this lens:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Prod...ID=&BC=LM&BCC=1&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

At the present time we have about 18 hours of sunlight in Southcentral Alaska. Low light film is nice, but not absolutely necessary. Are you planning on switching mid roll on the leica? I have been using HP5+ at 400 lately and am very satisfied with the results. In your shoes I would bring along the 75, but to each his own. What part of Alaska are you traveling to? Enjoy your trip.

Mark J.

I'll be visiting my brother in Wasila but we plan to go to Seward for camping, maybe Homer. I've been to Homer once to go Halibut fishing, but I hear that they decreased the limit to just one this year. Not really looking to spend so much money on a charter boat for just one fish. I also plan to go to the air show, which I hear is pretty spectacular. The majority will be shot in Kodachrome, but I know it won't work well enough in the dark.

No, I don't plan to change film mid roll. I usually use speed priority with my M6. I shoot at 1/125th (unless I need a slower/faster speed for picture) and adjust aperture for lighting. I usually change film to one faster when I'm down to f1/7/f2.0 and at 1/15 or 1/30.

For the lens, I am still debating on what I should choose. I like the 90mm, but anything faster than f4 is either too expensive or just too large. The 75mm is nice, though large and with the wrong filter thread, meaning I'll have to buy a new polarizer. I also like to have a large blown up picture occasionally, which is difficult with a 75mm.

Back