What was your first CD? What was your first record?

Archiver

Mentor
Local time
9:34 AM
Inspired by this post:

What was your first CD?

In the mid 80s, CD's were gaining in popularity but seen as luxuries compared with records and cassettes. Everyone I knew bought records and tapes, and when someone said they had a CD, there was an ooh of admiration and envy. We had a CD player, an inexpensive secondhand player from a family friend, but we mostly rented CD's from the local library, like Pictures In An Exhibition by Mussorgsky and The Planets by Holst. The first CD I remember getting was in 1986 or 87, Echoes of Gold (1979), a compilation of flute pieces by Adrian Brett.

I am unsure which record was the first that I bought for myself, but it may have been the Motorhead compilation No Remorse (1984). I was really taken by Motorhead playing Ace of Spades in an episode of The Young Ones and I had to get it!

@AndyCapp @CMur12

My first record was probably CCR's "Cosmo's Factory".

My first CD was probably the Tchaikovsky "1812 Overture", either a Deutsche Grammophon or Telarc recording, I don't recall specifically. But almost everyone bought that ... for the cannons ...

My first good tape recorder was an MCI 24 track that I maintained for a recording studio while working my way through college. THAT was a "hifi" system ...

Record:
Asked for? ELO "Out of the Blue"
Bought? Styx "Pieces of Eight"
Given and changed my world? My father was a janitor at the local university and brought home The Ramones "Rocket to Russia" from the lost and found.

CD:
Heard: The Pretenders "The Pretenders" At that point, I stopped caring about vinyl.
Bought: my something-th copy of The Who "Who's Next"
After that I have never bought vinyl since and usually only mp3 now.

My first CD was the "Traveling Wilburys."

My first record, other than early kiddie records (78s, then 45s), was Ray Charles' "Hit the Road Jack" (a 45 single).
I also won James Brown's "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" on the radio.

- Murray

Back