What you should know about FSU’s that nobody told you about

texchappy

Well-known
Local time
6:18 AM
I’m asking this as my Zorki is in the mail. What are the peculiarities, surprises, unexpected bonuses that you wish you’d know about before using your first FSU rangefinder?

What won’t it tell me about the rangefinder experience that an M would (if anything)?

TIA,
Tony

Also it wont tell you that research before purchasing means few surprises and ranting about
A. e bay
B. Anything made in USSR.
there is enough of this already.
It also wont tell you to download [ and pay 3.00] for a manual.

The cameras will scratch eyeglasses.

Ultimately, it will make more of a difference which dealer/person you buy from than which camera. They are all a bit different in specifications but, if well sorted, will all produce good photos.

The FSU cameras can be quite addicting, I've cut back some but still have 5 or 6 cameras.

The lenses are, for me, an unbeatable bargain. Pick your dealer well (as above) and you can build a good stable of most useful focal lengths for fairly small $.

The biggest thing I wish I'd known ahead of time was just how willing to be enablers most of us FSU afficianados are! Sorry. :D
Rob

I got mine off the bay (before signing up for this site). Can I put the dealer I got it from on here for private or public confirmation that I got a good'un?

Don't change the shutter speed unless you've wound the shutter first.

Don't assume the older the camera, the worse it'll be -- actually the reverse is often the case.

Find out if your camera has a diopter adjustment before you start to use it, else you might think falsely that something is wrong with the viewfinder.

1) Check for pinholes even before you put a test roll through it.
2) Buy liquid electrical tape and be prepared to use it.

Zorki. Ayyy, good call. Which better-than-a-FED model did you go with? *hides under desk*

(a) You won't get the pleasure of discovering and replacing a dead battery. (Zorki batteries went *Officially Dead* in the mid-70s)
(b) You won't get to chime into the endless haggle over which set of multiple framelines is the most useful. (Instead of framelines, Zorki opted to go with installing a big fat thumb print on the iNsiDe of the VF window.)
(c) You can, however, peacefully lay your head on your pillow at night confident in the fact that the total cost of your film stash in the frig is double the value of your camera. :-J

But, yeah, wind first, then make your settings.

Be ready to give it a good cleaning right outta the box. Its amazing that sellers offer no attempt to make the little buggers presentable before selling/shipping. But once wiped off, load it up with a cheap drug store brand dollar roll and go take portraits of you kids, dog, lawn mower and stuff and see how she goes.

Sellers I had great experience with others didn't like at all. I bought a really sweet Zorki.4. It arrived at my house, from Russia, shipped ... in an eNveLoPe. Period. No box, padding or bubble wrap. Just an envelope. Yeesh. So ya never know.

Both film advance and focusing are often stiff when they arrive. A lot of these cameras have been idle for decades. Check out stickies here that could help improve these.

If the shutter is too faulty, take the time, spend a few bucks, and let Oleg replace it. Saves a lot of frustration.

I also agree, early 1950s Zorkis are waaay better than late 60s & 70s examples. They just are.

FSUs are quirky; its part of their *charm*. So resign yourself to having fun with it, not expecting perfection. Get one (or six) that you like, working thru the quirks & shortcomings and appreciating good things. They're enexpensive, enjoyable little carry-alongs capable of very satisfying results.

Hi,

What model is it? Or did I miss it in the thread?

I ask because the word Zorki covers a wide range of cameras.

Regards, David

It is a Zorki 4 with an Industar 50mm lens. Part of the reason I picked the one I did is that it was adverted as just CLA'd.

It is a Zorki 4 with an Industar 50mm lens. Part of the reason I picked the one I did is that it was adverted as just CLA'd.

Hi,

They are nice and no problems getting the manual. But do remember what they've all said about the shutter speed changing. I ruined my first one that way many, many years ago but it was great once repaired, if not even better.

Regards, David

Always ask before you buy, what the CLA was about. I had a lot of FSU camera's in my hands (for repair and or service) that didn't work out of the box but were sold as being CLA'd. They don't give you any guarantee.

btw we don't have to know the name of your seller, since they sometimes sell a working camera, and the second time they don't.

hope you bought a working one....

I have found that many of the Zorkis / Feds / Kievs etc. on fleaBay are advertised as having a 'CLA' -- but after purchasing several of them, I seriously doubt that was the case.

I think the Russian and Ukrainian sellers use that term liberally just to move their products.

If it was a true CLA, they would tell you:

a. exactly WHY the camera needed it in the first place
b. what work was performed
c. what parts were replaced

I have had a 'CLA' done by four different professional camera technicians (here in N. America) and they have always given exhaustive detail about their work.

A $30 film camera from the 1960's in a suburb of St. Petersburg is taken out of a drawer, dusted off, and put on eBay. Sorry to break it to you, but THAT'S a Russian CLA.

On the flip side, I have been very fortunate in all of my FSU camera purchases -- almost all of them have worked fine. Probably a 95% success rate, and the small amount of money I've forfeited due to a broken camera I chalk up to the adventure of buying these little curiosities.

Chances are, your little Zorki will work fine. We look forward to seeing some sample photos soon!

And oh yeah, I agree -- usually, the earlier versions of the same camera are 'better' than the later models. I have a Kiev 4 from the 1960's, and a version from 1981, and the 1981 model is not nearly as refined.

You might want to consider a Kiev. They are a different beast from the Barnack copies and are also pretty cheap. It's kinda like having a cheap Contax II or III. The ones from 1975 and older are the best. The're fairly cheap and you won't have to worry about trying to fit those weird Russian lenses on your Leica (ha ha).

Last edited:
Back