What you want, what you need, what you like, what you can afford

sitemistic said:
For some people though, Frank, it's hard to separate the myth from the tool. Leicas are beautiful, precision made tools. But they won't in themselves make you a good photographer.

I've spent most of my life buying one guitar or another, expensive and beautifully made instruments that in the hands of the guy at the guitar shop produce music that is pure magic. I've put many hours and dollars into lessons and practice to try and make that same magic. But I've never succeeded at buying talent. I'm only a passable guitar player.

Every serious photographer should own a Leica at least once. At least they might learn where the magic really really comes from.

Sitemystic, I would never suggest that the tool is more important than the skill. I simply said that using a good tool is a joy in itself, just like playing a great guitar is. (I'm in the same boat with regards to guitars as you.)

Pitxu said:
Kit fetishists, read "Leica snobs":rolleyes:

Whatever. Opinion has more validity when it is informed. At least try using a Leica before denigrating it or those that do.

May I humbly suggest that there is a little more to the GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) than just wanting new toys? Sure, there is that. And yes, I know that there is much truth in the purist approach stating that no one asked Michael Angelo what make of hammer he used when he sculpted the Mona Lisa on a Halfshell on the roof that chapell before he cut off his ear... But, I think that there is something about the camera, the lens, other than just being the right tool for the job - although I think its something mostly intangible, and I would venture exclusive to older cameras (or those new ones that still have the same character of craftsmanship, I would not say that a brand new, hand made LF outfit has no soul!).
Here is what I am getting at: my New F1 with a 50mm and a roll of Trix in open shade and my QL17, with the same film (I am trying to stay within the same format for argument's sake). Technically, if I only have that one lens on the SLR (and often I do) there is very little that the F1 will do that the QL can not (lets not split hairs about lppm, etc). But I know that when I hold each one of those cameras, they put me in a different mood, and the resulting photos are of a different flavor - and it is NOT because of the technical specifications.
My cameras "speak" to me. They're like old friends, each with their own quirks, their own "voice". I have a friend who ridicules me with most of the new cameras I buy: "Why did you spend the money on that thing? What is it letting you do that you couldn't do before? Couldn't you put that money towards something that would open up a new capability for you?". Logically speaking, sure, he is right - but I know that I will buy yet another fixed lens RF that is no better or no worse than the ones I already have. And when I take a walk with it, it will lead me to pictures my other cameras would not and vice versa. I guess that's the "I want" part.

Of course, I may be a crazy person who hears voices...

As far as the original question goes:

What you want, what you need, what you like, what you can afford

I find that the first two are usually unrelated (want/need), the third and the fourth often conflicting with one another (like/afford), but in the end, as long as I can make 2 and 4 (need/afford) get along - and I usually do - I am pretty happy. :) (ok, ok, I've never been pretty - but the happy part is all true!)

Peter.

PS. sitemistic, Frank - the magic, by the way, certainly does not "come from" a Leica or any other camera. It comes from licking colourful frogs from tropical climes.

Last edited:
I would like some TIME........

Time to edit the thousands of digital photographs and film scans on my computer..

Time to take more photographs of meaning and to get better and better..

Time to build a Darkroom and learn the requisite skills..

and all whilst spending time with the family, work commitments and not incurring the wrath of the wife :)

I want to get the wet darkroom working and make time to use it.
These are quite attainable goals. Motivation is the problem. :(

Chris

Back