What's Going on with B&H Photo & Foma??

Deardorff38

Mentor
Local time
6:20 AM
I just ordered a large amount ($1k) of LF Film and 16x20" Foma fiber based glossy Variant iii from B&H Photo. The Foma was now special order. In addition, i tried to order a box of 8x10 (100) of the same paper & it has disappeared from the B&H website. All that seems to remain are RC in matt or velvet finishes. When i queried B&H I got this answer back "Foma does not make an 8x10 glossy like the 16x20 that you recently ordered. You can use these papers instead:" Strangely i still have several boxes in my darkroom that I bought from B&H. (photo attached)
Freestyle Photo still shows it in stock. Does any one have any ideas what's going on either with Foma or B&H? B&H has been my #1 supplier, particularly because of their free shipping to Canada. I do far prefer Foma to Ilford Classic in neutral papers. Oriental FB papers are also out of stock at BH..... Just asking.

48673102967_b18425f1b6_q.jpg
[/url]0 by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Buying "non-traditional" photo supplies from B&H and Freestyle for a number of years (i.e. not digital and not 35mm or MF film) I run in to this occasionally. B&H will have one size of one paper or film, not Freestyle, Freestyle will have another size of the same paper or film, not B&H. A few weeks later, the story is reversed. Not sure if they have totally different suppliers or what, but it gets a bit frustrating. I usually just buy it from whomever has it in stock when I need it. Have you discussed shipping methods with Freestyle? Maybe they can help you out.

Best,
-Tim

PS: One other note, Freestyle packages liquid chemicals MUCH BETTER than B&H for shipping. I've started avoiding B&H for liquid chemicals because my UPS driver was getting sick of delivering cardboard boxes that were dripping and emitting noxious fumes.

Thanks for the input Timmyjoe. I agree with you on the packaging end. Last week i received one box containing 2 boxes of 16x20" paper & a box of 11x4"..... with a gallon of liquid LPD ! Luckily the 16x20 wasn't damaged, but the 11x14" was all bent. Yes, great customer service & they replaced it for free....but what's going on in the shipping department. But.... to get an e-mail & saying " Foma doesn't make Variant iii in 8x10 glossy"...when i've got boxes of it sitting in my darkroom. It makes me question who's employed at B&H.... I have spoken to Freestyle.....but their shipping rates to Canada are unfortunately through the roof. I guess i'll just hang on and see & then stock up.

But.... to get an e-mail & saying " Foma doesn't make Variant iii in 8x10 glossy"...when i've got boxes of it sitting in my darkroom. It makes me question who's employed at B&H....

Why not simply e-mail back and tell them you've bought it from them in the past and that they can look at your records to verify this. If they can't provide a proper answer, ask for a manager to answer your question.

The customer support rep provided the easy answer... sometimes you just have to make it harder for them to weasel their way out of the harder response.

I've been buying enlarging paper from B&H for many years. Lately they have less in stock & more items tagged "special order. Expected availability 2-4 weeks." I ordered some 16x20 Foma Variant lll (and paid on ordering plus shipping charges)
on Sept 2..... It was delivered today Dec 16: 3 months later. Makes it tough to print a project with those kind of timelines. At the moment BH has only Ilford & a little Bergger in 16x20. From the outside it seems as if B&H is downsizing their enlarging paper inventory....

Back