What's the best shot you never took?

Elvis is not dead.. ...he is selling cameras at an undisclosed camera store:
View attachment 4824023
tummeric_elvis_selling_cameras_in_a_camera_store_photograph_hig_a10cb587-959d-4ae1-987e-1381d380e9d3.png

This thread might go off the rails, I'm sorry. I think fake images are abstractly fascinating in the sense that they tell us more about our own descriptions of things.

What do millions of images on the internet that include the words Elvis have in them? What do millions of images with the word Camera, or "camera store" or "used camera" or "Ilford HP5"? That's how these work, in the end, trying to make it look like things which have already been described as those things.

Some questions remain: why does he have such a weird expression? What is happening in the bottom left image, who is that shadowy figure behind him and what are they doing (in my mind, it's Bela Lugosi smoking a cigar), what are those terrible typewriter/camera combos doing in the bottom right?

Anyway, I hope you can all get a kick out of how weird these "images" are.

It is sad Elvis has given up music and going into selling "Cameras." He should have at least going into to selling guitars instead of going to selling cameras from singing.;)

Some real ones (I think)... :)
iu

iu
They look fairly real to me, at least. The hands aren’t wrong (too many fingers, impossible angles, both common in generative images), the cameras are also camera adjacent. One of the big give always with generative AI is that it strugles to construct correct interactions between hands and objects. “Holding” a sword might come out with a sword jutting from ones hand like a gun. Conversely, guns and cameras tend to show up being welded more like swords or books.

Elvis had a real passion for photography and He was a Leica user. ;)
But above Photo's hair- back lighting gives away. In AI photography Adobe is using a stock photography already and the
algorithmic encoding make the manipulative add from the simulation. That's why all the photos look really weird, artificial , perfect look.

Can someone find a photo of his using a Digital Leica ....?

Last edited:
Long ago I was traveling in an Airbus when I noticed a dark line flipping back and forth on top of the wing. Being an aerophile I realized that I was seeing the transition from laminar to turbulent airflow, made visible by the lighting from the late afternoon sun.

I whipped out the Praktica MTL-3 and took several shots ... I thought.

On returning home, I discovered that I had failed to engage the sprocket holes of the film on to the winder, grump!

For the same reason, I also "missed" a couple of shots while flying a Piper Cub over King's Island near Cincinnati, Ohio earlier that week.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the 2nd camera that Elvis is holding? Is it a Nikon Rangefinder? The scalloped lens focusing ring reminds me of earlier Nikon-style lenses.

"Too good to be true" is the indicator. The modern suit, the hair in all photos, big hands says , I am real Elvis .

Back