"What's the whole point of taking pictures?"

A more interesting question might be why one cares about other people's motivations? That'd be a fun discussion.

And a very short one. LOL I only speak for myself, of course. And tend toward the flippant at times.

Last edited:
"I have noticed that people from Down Under have more sense than most." This is only true if you agree with them and are free of culture bias.

Where ever did you get this idea?

Take it from one who "migrated" here half a century ago. No way!!

Excepting, of course, all the happy skips (aka 'roos) from Oz who post here.

They like lingonberries. ;o)
The ones (admittedly only a very few) I've met, all drink like fish in the ocean.

But they are friendly, good company, and nice people overall. As long as one doesn't try to match or even keep up to their consumption of Bintang beer in Bali.

This goes both ways. I have deleted hundreds of pictures lately. I threw away all my B&W negatives from decades back. Even their smell made me anxious. Man must know how to forget.
Silly boy, you.

I know of whence I speak. During Covid (2020-2022) over several months during two long, cold winters I went thru' my entire stash of 100,000+ images, and destroyed (after scanning of curse) a few tens of thousands. Mine didn't smell of anything, they just took up too much space in our cramped and full to the rafters two-bedroom weather board hacienda. It was them or the cats, and the felines won the coin toss.

Now I wish I'd had a two-headed coin.

I still kick myself for having done all that chopping...

Silly boy, you.

I know of whence I speak. During Covid (2020-2022) over several months during two long, cold winters I went thru' my entire stash of 100,000+ images, and destroyed (after scanning of curse) a few tens of thousands. Mine didn't smell of anything, they just took up too much space in our cramped and full to the rafters two-bedroom weather board hacienda. It was them or the cats, and the felines won the coin toss.

Now I wish I'd had a two-headed coin.

I still kick myself for having done all that chopping...

I have kept almost all my images. And going back to ones I took while in Mexico in 2000 - 2003 is wonderful and some of them have gotten better since I took them. LOL I have my slides back to '54, taken then with a Vito II, my icon here.

Last edited:
A more interesting question might be why one cares about other people's motivations? That'd be a fun discussion.
Motivations matter.
Murder is not the same thing as manslaughter.
An insult is not even meant to be a joke, as funny as it might be to the non-concerned.
We need to know if a person is to be seen as a friend or a foe. This is difficult without knowing his motivations.

From a Hungarian aristocrat's letter:
"Dear friend,
Quite a celebration, wasn't it?
I understand why you threw the Bohemian crystals in the fireplace; that is part of our toasting tradition.
Of course, you needed to set fire to the curtains. How else could you have admired the dawn on the lakeside sitting in your easy chair?
Raping my wife was actually your duty as a proud Magyar officer.
But please, explain to me: Why the corkscrew in my parrot's butt?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the subject was photography?

I suspect I would enjoy this conversation more if I had a lower IQ.
"People with IQs around 40–80 can read and typically write, although their writing might be delayed and not be “age appropriate”.
PS. You are the one who brought in other people's motivations.

"People with IQs around 40–80 can read and typically write, although their writing might be delayed and not be “age appropriate”.
PS. You are the one who brought in other people's motivations.

They can operate complex machinery, too. I was stationed with a truck driver who had an IQ of 44. He got his runs done and was a good soldier.

Interesting question. I've asked myself that many times in the fifty some odd years I've been making photographs.

In the beginning it was because I couldn't draw as well as I wanted. My mom was a commercial artist and could do photographic realistic sketches of anything she looked at, I couldn't, but I could create an image with a camera. So I tried that.

Then I became fascinated with the process, everything from finding the subject, understanding the light, focus and depth of field, processing the film, making the prints. I also grew up in a small community which experience a lot of pre-mature death, so photography became a way of holding on to people that were disappearing.

Eventually I was very fortunate in that people were willing to pay me to make images, so for a while, I was making photographs because it was a way to make money.

My photography has slowed down quite a bit in the last few years. I still make images of family and friends, not sure where it's going to go in the future.

Best,
-Tim

A creative outlet that latently stuck around for several decades before digital pushed aside the inhibitions. Having been a mediocre drummer in indie type bands, I was largely a malleable ‘instrument’ of the songwriters (and not a bad but not great one at that). With photography, I have complete control from beginning to end (within the confines of our very limited if not nonexistent free will), and ego is mine to dismiss or indulge. I see things that I want to see as a photograph, though knowing that the majority of times better to leave things as they are. Still, the process keeps me on the streets and out of the house; a reason to walk about, explore, and get some otherwise elusive exercise. All of this works well for a largely secluded introvert who nevertheless loves living in cities. As with most humans, my job urges me to put a bullet through my brain; photography dampens the desire. Moreover, I simply love photography as a medium, meaning the joy of looking at other folks’ great works holds its own merit even if I had never picked up a camera.

Interesting question. I've asked myself that many times in the fifty some odd years I've been making photographs.

In the beginning it was because I couldn't draw as well as I wanted. My mom was a commercial artist and could do photographic realistic sketches of anything she looked at, I couldn't, but I could create an image with a camera. So I tried that.

Then I became fascinated with the process, everything from finding the subject, understanding the light, focus and depth of field, processing the film, making the prints. I also grew up in a small community which experience a lot of pre-mature death, so photography became a way of holding on to people that were disappearing.

Eventually I was very fortunate in that people were willing to pay me to make images, so for a while, I was making photographs because it was a way to make money.

My photography has slowed down quite a bit in the last few years. I still make images of family and friends, not sure where it's going to go in the future.

Best,
-Tim
Do I read you right that you inherited the urge to create images but not the manual skill? So, you figured out a workaround and found pleasure in the process. Your pictures served a psychological and social need and were of some economic benefit. How could you not have become a photographer, one might ask?

A creative outlet that latently stuck around for several decades before digital pushed aside the inhibitions. Having been a mediocre drummer in indie type bands, I was largely a malleable ‘instrument’ of the songwriters (and not a bad but not great one at that). With photography, I have complete control from beginning to end (within the confines of our very limited if not nonexistent free will), and ego is mine to dismiss or indulge. I see things that I want to see as a photograph, though knowing that the majority of times better to leave things as they are. Still, the process keeps me on the streets and out of the house; a reason to walk about, explore, and get some otherwise elusive exercise. All of this works well for a largely secluded introvert who nevertheless loves living in cities. As with most humans, my job urges me to put a bullet through my brain; photography dampens the desire. Moreover, I simply love photography as a medium, meaning the joy of looking at other folks’ great works holds its own merit even if I had never picked up a camera.
I like your story. I always thought that playing drums was the happiest job on Earth, but clearly, that was a hasty generalization.
You found your voice and will, and you are not mulling any suicidal thoughts for the time being. Keep on taking pictures, OK? Promise?

I like your story. I always thought that playing drums was the happiest job on Earth, but clearly, that was a hasty generalization.
You found your voice and will, and you are not mulling any suicidal thoughts for the time being. Keep on taking pictures, OK? Promise?
Thanks, and no worries on actually calling life quits, but photography has seriously proven beneficial to my mental health. And you're right, playing drums is fun, and it served me well for its time. But the codependency on others was cumbersome. I think for actually talented or expectational drummers, they have far more flexibility. In any case, photography is something that I'll be able to pursue up until hospice care comes a calling, so I'm sticking with it.

"Because people die"

It's a quote that I don't know who to attribute but I recall perhaps written in Mike Jonhston's TOP. While growing up, I saw photography as how older generations did, and eg. only have a bunch of pictures of grandpa. "People didn't use to take pictures then". My initiation to photograhpy was to document, and it largely stays so.
Discussing life with a friend, she mentioned that we have a "primal wound" or something similar if the term escapes me; While building ourselves there is something that we carry in deeply as we develop. For me it has been knowing that life is fleeting, people and things that are away do change and disappear.

"Because people die"

It's a quote that I don't know who to attribute but I recall perhaps written in Mike Jonhston's TOP. While growing up, I saw photography as how older generations did, and eg. only have a bunch of pictures of grandpa. "People didn't use to take pictures then". My initiation to photograhpy was to document, and it largely stays so.
Discussing life with a friend, she mentioned that we have a "primal wound" or something similar if the term escapes me; While building ourselves there is something that we carry in deeply as we develop. For me it has been knowing that life is fleeting, people and things that are away do change and disappear.

"Is that all there is? Is that all there is?
If that's all there is, my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is"...

–And take photos not to forget how good it was while it lasted!

Back