What's the X-Pro-1 got that I ain't already got?

Mr_Toad

Fluffy Marsupial
Local time
4:02 PM
Comrades,

I confess. I'm a digital noob. I don't know my APS from a hole in the ground.

My Question: Just what would a Fuji X-Pro-1 deliver in image quality, that I can't already get from the digital toys I recently purchased (below)?

My New Digital Stuff: Fuji X100...and a micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, with adapters for my M-mount lenses.

Caveat: I realize this is an "it depends" question, but I betcha other folks considering an X-Pro-1 are wondering the same thing.

All thoughts, opinions, and sarcastic remarks are welcome,

Robt.

MR Toad

The camera has many features that no other camera ever has had until now.
Of course it has something you "ain't already got" :D
That does not mean you should get one. I'm not so sure for myself but, will at least go check it out.

= GAS :)

Ask yourself, :
- Does my "current" gear out shoot me?
- Am I being held back by gear?
imho: Most will say __no___ to the ^ ???(s)

But, GAS can be STRONG & play games with your head, then $$$wallet$$$

:)

Comrades,

I confess. I'm a digital noob. I don't know my APS from a hole in the ground.

My Question: Just what would a Fuji X-Pro-1 deliver in image quality, that I can't already get from the digital toys I recently purchased (below)?

My New Digital Stuff: Fuji X100...and a micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, with adapters for my M-mount lenses.

Caveat: I realize this is an "it depends" question, but I betcha other folks considering an X-Pro-1 are wondering the same thing.

All thoughts, opinions, and sarcastic remarks are welcome,

Robt.

You will most likely get a higher quality file to work with over both your cameras. Of course, fuji has introduced primes for the Xpro1 and the X100 is fixed. However, you have more size and weight to deal with over both of your cameras.

The best IQ in the APS-C kingdom (comparable to FF, no low-pass filter)

The most film-like rendition you can get OOC (specialty of Fujifilm...)

The highest ISO capability for the APS-C sensor size; comparable to what some FF format delivering.

High resolution, admirable bokeh with the 35/1.4 and 60/2.4 lenses.

State-of-art combination of OVF & EVF, way above anything else existing.

Good performance with non-retrofocal M-lenses lenses down to 12mm. (Kudos to Fujifilm.)

:mad: AF on par with P&S cameras :mad:

:( Shameful MF for a rangefinder, four rotations from 1m to infinity! Peh!

:mad: @#&$#..zone focusing (Feedback to Fujifilm engineers!)

Short: A breakthrough camera with Kinderkrankheiten..

(BTW, if this sensor measures to the highest DR and color depth of any APS-C so far, I will not astonish..)

I recently canceled my order for the X-Pro1 and three lenses and picked up the NEX-7 and Zeiss 24mm, kit lens and a bunch of adapters. I agonized over the choice for a long time, but in the end, I found that I liked and will use the video quality provided by the NEX-7. I thought that the still image quality of the two cameras were the same. When downsized to 16GB, the high ISO performance is on par with the 5N. I'm guessing that the X-Pro1 will best the NEX-7 by a bit. The raw file of the X-Pro1 equaled the file size of the NEX-7. The NEX-7/Zeiss 24mm autofocus is a bit better than my X100 and I'm guessing that it will be a bit faster than the X-Pro1. I love OVF, but the functionality of the Sony EVF overcame my visual preference for an OVF. I would now wait for the May 10th Leica announcement(s) prior to making a purchase. I'll be purchasing the Sony Standard G Zoom when it arrives. I must decide if I will keep my X100, which has been a stellar camera. I think that the NEX-7 will serve my purposes well into the future. If the Fuji had better video, I might have seen things differently. You will need to decide if there is something that you are lacking that requires the purchase of another camera... but that was my logic.

Yuppie points. That's what it will get you.

Yuppie points are the status score of being able to throw money at a problem. Whether the tossing of money solves a problem or not is irrelevant, the benefit is almost entirely that you can and others will notice.

:)

I think this new Fuji might be a nice camera. But my cabinet is full of nice cameras and I don't need another one. So I'm not even remotely interested in buying one. I doubt it will revolutionize my photography.

I did buy another lens, however. It will work on two of my cameras. it's a nice fast normal lens. That's my hat in the ring for yuppie points today.

]'-)

The best IQ in the APS-C kingdom (comparable to FF, no low-pass filter)

The most film-like rendition you can get OOC (specialty of Fujifilm...)

The highest ISO capability for the APS-C sensor size; comparable to what some FF format delivering.

High resolution, admirable bokeh with the 35/1.4 and 60/2.4 lenses.

State-of-art combination of OVF & EVF, way above anything else existing.

Good performance with non-retrofocal M-lenses lenses down to 12mm. (Kudos to Fujifilm.)

:mad: AF on par with P&S cameras :mad:

:( Shameful MF for a rangefinder, four rotations from 1m to infinity! Peh!

:mad: @#&$#..zone focusing (Feedback to Fujifilm engineers!)

Short: A breakthrough camera with Kinderkrankheiten..

(BTW, if this sensor measures to the highest DR and color depth of any APS-C so far, I will not astonish..)

You got most of that right...my measurements show manual focus requires about 1 and 7/8 rotations from close focus to infinity. This is still a lot, but there are techniques to speed that up. This is with the 35mm.

Zone focus is easy, no penalty here.

AF is not super quick, but not super slow. Most importantly, it's accurate even in very low light. AF is much more accurate than I can do with an RF, and faster.

It's also not a rangefinder. :)

The sensor mops the floor with every other APS and full frame sensor currently available.

Based on reviews, first-hand reports from real photographers and ignoring trolls....

o Fuji X100

The XP1 is more flexible, has better IQ and improved AF performance. The XP1 has a faster onboard processor as well.

I carry a X100 daily. I find the 23 mm lens' angle of view to be useful. I've ordered the XP1 for access to lenses with angles of view I enjoy. When the XP1 arrives I will have access to the angles of view I used with my Zeiss Ikon M. Next year I'll get the 23 mm lens for the XP1 when it's released. Then the X100 will be agreat back up camera and see duty where discretion in important.

o a micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, with adapters for my M-mount lenses.

I used to own the same camera. I used the Lumix 20/1.7 and used an adapter with several manual Nikkor lenses. The X100 sensor significantly outperforms the G1 in almost every way. The XP1 will be even better. The angle of view of your M lenses will increase. You will be able to make larger prints. Of course you also get to use an OVF. There are third party M adopters available now, and who knows, Fuji could make a smart M adapter or enhance the firmware to make M lens usage attractive.

What ever you decide, it will be the right decision for you.

Based on reviews, first-hand reports from real photographers and ignoring trolls....

o a micro 4/3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, with adapters for my M-mount lenses.

I used to own the same camera. I used the Lumix 20/1.7 and used an adapter with several manual Nikkor lenses. The X100 sensor significantly outperforms the G1 in almost every way. The XP1 will be even better. The angle of view of your M lenses will increase. You will be able to make larger prints. Of course you also get to use an OVF. There are third party M adopters available now, and who knows, Fuji could make a smart M adapter or enhance the firmware to make M lens usage attractive.

Thanks to everyone for helping me better understand. Willie's experience with the G1 is helpful, too.

Interestingly, I've pretty much run out of wall space at, so printing is less of an option.

Now, if I can only resist the irrational urge to buy. :eek:

Robt.

Just use the Fuji X100. The only real advantage of the XP1 is the interchangeable lenses. However, most people don't really need so many lenses, it just fills a gear acquisition desire for them.

I have an X100 and have been using it recently. It is a splendid camera. For some reason, there are a lot of internet haters whining about something or other. You have to learn how to use it, but the AF speed, AF accuracy, startup times, write speeds, menus etc. -- all the stuff people seem to complain about -- are all fine, if you aren't trying to shoot football. The real secret of the X100 is the amazing, always-perfect fill flash.

I think this new Fuji might be a nice camera. But my cabinet is full of nice cameras and I don't need another one.

Such cold hard logic ... !

How many people who are about to drop a heap of money on this camera could say the same thing I wonder? :D

Back