What's up at Fuji - PMA 2008

Are you guys kidding, this is great news. Have you seen the prices for Fuji MF cameras "languishing" on Ebay lately? Or gold watches languishing at fine jewelers? You can barely get a GSW690 for under a grand. So if Fuji wants to bring out another line of MF cameras for half that, man, I'm on it.

dazedgonebye said:
Can we turn this in to a wild speculation thread?

Its compatible with any lens ever made by any company and makes them autofocus using supersonic vibrations.

sooner said:
Are you guys kidding, this is great news. Have you seen the prices for Fuji MF cameras "languishing" on Ebay lately? Or gold watches languishing at fine jewelers? You can barely get a GSW690 for under a grand. So if Fuji wants to bring out another line of MF cameras for half that, man, I'm on it.

Yes! This is great, great news! God bless Fuji. See Kodak? They support film - black and white and color. They support 35mm and medium format, and they make cameras - introducing a new MF film camera - which they engineer and manufacture...

... and they're big, big players in the digital arena.

They're whatchya call an "imaging" company. Seems they know that "imaging" is what they do - regardless of how the image is created - film or digital, and that you can do both and make a profit! And are catering to both ways of making images - no probs, no drama, no worries if product X will be thter tomorrow as far as the eye can see.

Get it Kodak???? Want answers? Look to the East. Shame your lame-azz CEOs weren't able to do what Fuji has done - seemingly "effortlessly". No need for any "transition", they meet the demands for both medium, and are still involved in design and manufacturer.
|

From Fuji's Press Release:

"Even as the company innovates in digital imaging technology, Fujifilm remains true to its heritage and to the acknowledged superior image quality delivered by professional photographic film products.

(Note: Oh, digi-heads, with your futzy digitals who think that their pathetic pixelaltions produce images as good as film, come out, come out wherever your are :)

Fujifilm is committed to further expanding the world of imaging whether in digital or analog technologies."

(Taking notes thar Kodak???? You're "strategic management" over the last 15 years not only should be fired - without that precious and ridiculous "golden parachute", they should be tarred and feathered and banned from ever working anywhere other that at a fast food take-out window for the rest of their careers. I don't care what Ivy Leage school they got their MBA at or how many meaningless lame-azz "business cliches" they can rattle off their tongue per minute...)

Hey, I didn't mean to sound like I'd be unhappy to see a new Fuji MF camera. Just shocked!
And as Sooner mentioned, Fuji's RF cameras still command a very good price on the used market.
So, I'd like to see a 6x6 model with a meter, aperture priority, and most importantly sales. Wouldn't that make waves?

great. i've been thinking about moving into MF for a while; now i can kick back a little and wait. maybe it will bring used prices down!!!

Oh Sitemistic, do - please, take not of the bold.

"Even as the company innovates in digital imaging technology, Fujifilm remains true to its heritage and to the acknowledged superior image quality delivered by professional photographic film products.

Hmm... maybe the success of the Zeiss Ikon and CV have caught the notice of another, Fuji. Would be interesting if they put out an updated rangefinder of some sort. "Portable." Makes you wonder....

Exciting news... When it happens...

Exciting news... When it happens...

And I don't doubt it may. While other companies have dropped out of the MF format film marketplace, Fuji has remained steadfast in continuing to provide a superior product in the market. The prices on Fuji's of all model designations has remained strong even though a lot of them are being placed up for sale. The light rangefinder 645's, the GA645Zi, The GX680, The 617, The 670's and 690's all bring strong prices no matter how many seem to show up, either on eBay or other markets.

If Fuji is expanding their film cameras, it surely comes as a statement about the return or expansion of medium format film. I would imagine that it is also a statement about Fuji's readiness for professionals who will soon tire of the disappointment with digital offerings and their return to film.

Yes Fujifilm... a progressive company taking advantage of the failings of other longstanding participants in what will end up being FUJI' marketplace.

Get a Fuji now, while you still can. My Fuji "Texas Leica" outshoots the little baby Leicas with ease.

They're introducing a PROTOTYPE, right? Something that may not actually come to production in our lifetimes, like the Sigma DP-1 and Pentax 645 Digital, both "announced" a couple of years ago....

I really hope this becomes reality. And, soon. But, what could it be? I'd love a rangefinder with fast glass that also focuses close —*but is that even possible?

Well, for one thing, they'll have a breathtaking lack of competition...it would practically be their market to lose. And I'm sure they did the math on this (as well as track eBay auctions). They may be crazy, but they're not stupid.

This likely won't have me dipping a toe in the waters of MF again, but I'll be rooting for 'em all the same.

- Barrett

Back