When photos lie -- as did 2 of mine

NY_Dan

Well-known
Local time
9:36 AM
I just finished scanning and adjusting the following two photos shot this past week on 2/17/2015. First photo was shot around 1:20 pm -- I was walking, and lost in thought on 9th Avenue and 40th Street in New York City. All of a sudden I hear crying, I look up and see this woman walking fast and bawling -- really weeping. I had no idea what was going on -- I lifted my camera and got the shot. I always walk around focused at 10 feet and with the proper exposure for my environment. It all happened so fast, and I had zero time to think. I hoped I got something, and of course eagerly awaited seeing the photo on my monitor. However, when I looked at the photo, the woman has her eyes shut and it looks like she's reacting perhaps to cold weather. So I feel like the photo lies because what it shows it not what was going on.

2nd photo of an older woman was shot around 8:40am earlier that day on 38th St & 8th Ave (I think). I noticed the lady when she was about 30 feet away. I thought she had an interesting face. So I set my camera to 7 feet and my exposure to 1/125 at f/4. I positioned myself so she would be more or less herded by the crowd toward the wall to my right, and that was a good spot because the background was uncluttered. As she neared I raised my camera and shot -- at the same exact instant she spied a friend of hers behind me and to my right -- she lifted her hand to wave to her friend -- her reaction was one of joy at seeing her friend. However, in my photo, shot in a transitory moment looks more like she's annoyed at having her photo taken, and that her hand is raised in protest. In reality, she never noticed me. I like the photos - but they weren't the images burned in my brain. Which is what I like about shooting film -- the not knowing and the imagining. But, it sure is weird when you get a result so contrary to what you expected. And it does go to show how subjective it all is. Maybe the story the photos tell me is the same or different than what they tell other viewers. The things one sees...

1098392.jpg

1098393.jpg

Rolleiflex 2.8f Tri X 120

Dan, interesting stories associated with them.

I quickly saw the photos before I read their stories and my interpretation was:
1. The woman seems to be in some kind of deep, spiritual thought. She appears neither sad (in contrast to reality) nor happy.
2. The old woman is happy and seems to be waving at somebody. After reading the story, I stared at the photo for a bit and still came to the same conclusion. I would expect her expression and hand position to be different if she was annoyed at being photographed.

This is what I like about photography. A photo seems to freeze time and then becomes available for interpretation by the viewer, and different people may see it differently.

...at the same exact instant she spied a friend of hers behind me and to my right -- she lifted her hand to wave to her friend -- her reaction was one of joy at seeing her friend.
1098393.jpg

Rolleiflex 2.8f Tri X 120

I actually interpreted this pretty much the way you described...

Fantastic capture by the way!

Back