When you were at school did your friends have cameras too

Found these four receipts:

7/12/1980 --- 1 Black Pentax MX Body $188.00

1/19/1979 --- 1 Black Pentax MX Body $194.00

11/19/1979 --- 1Pentax MX Winder $99.95

2/26/1981 --- 1 Pentax MX Winder $91.44

...still have both cameras with winders.
So cool that you still have those cameras!

Dad bought a Pentax ME from a friend who was going back overseas around that time. When I got it in the mid 2000s, it was still in pristine condition and capped with the lovely M SMC 50mm f1.4. Now, I used the 50 with my Panasonic S5, and plan to get more of these awesome little lenses.

Compact Digi-cams were all the rage when I was in college from 04-10, nearly everyone had one. I had a Nikon Coolpix 4300 that I had gotten as a high school graduation gift. The fun part back then was getting a Sharp 903sh Japanese camera phone that had the quality of rivaling compact digi-cams before camera phones phased out compact cameras. 3.2 MP CCD Sensor + 2x optical zoom

One friend had an EOS 300D was was basically the go to guy for shooting all events with his kit lens. DSLR's back then werent obtainable for most on college budgets and I miss not taking advance of the film camera prices back then.

In my time and place most of us, kids, had Smenas. Some had Zenits. I first had Smena 8M, later Zenit EM or ET. The kids of real photographers would sometime borrow cameras from their parents - those were East German Prakticas. The “elite” photographers were shooting with MF Kievs or Pentacons. But as a regular kid I have never seen them “in flesh” (even in the shops). This was the world I never miss :) My first “Western” (although made in Japan) camera was some kind of Olympus P&S which I bought when I went to study to Switzerland just when the iron curtain was falling. Those Smenas were fun though. I recently bought one again, plaid a while and sold. I understood that I don’t miss it even if it was part of my childhood.

If I remember correctly, most of my peers (1970's) were into girls, cars, beer, music, rock concerts, stereo systems, cigarettes and weed... ...and, platform shoes. :)

Last edited:
Back