Where do I get this hood for my Olympus 35RC !

Local time
9:48 AM
Hello,
I live in Korea, and my hobby is to shoot film!

I have Olympus35rc, which is very small and cute.
I want to have it dressed up with decent looking lens hood, an I found these images on reddit!

Does anybody know where I can get one?
I found that it is someone's DIY!

Can I get one?
Or can I get a design scheme for making one?

This is best looking lens hood I have ever seen!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-04-15-43-28-570_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-04-15-43-28-570_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20231004_170240.jpg
    IMG_20231004_170240.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 60
It looks like it could be made from one piece that wraps around and overlaps across the flat part below the lens. So... flat/curve/flat/curve/flat with cutouts so that the curved sides (only) slide over the end of the lens. No idea how easy that would be to fabricate, I'm sure if I tried it would look like crumpled tinfoil, but ymmv.

Have you seen this 3D printer design @Returning dotori?

Kinda' close...

Files available here:

IMG_20200816_210900.jpg

Last edited:
Have you seen this 3D printer design @Returning dotori?

Kinda' close...

Files available here:

IMG_20200816_210900.jpg
I have already downloaded the stl file haha. This one looks good too. : )

It looks like it could be made from one piece that wraps around and overlaps across the flat part below the lens. So... flat/curve/flat/curve/flat with cutouts so that the curved sides (only) slide over the end of the lens. No idea how easy that would be to fabricate, I'm sure if I tried it would look like crumpled tinfoil, but ymmv.
It looks like made of metal! And also it seems like it is one piece curved and cut precisely! Very well made... That is why I want it! : )

It looks like something that could be custom made by a machine shop by modifying a TLR lens hood and attaching it to a filter ring.

Olympus made some good clamp on hoods-

But this hood is not that.

Welcome to RFF, Returning dotori! I'm not going to be one who can help you with finding that hood unfortunately but I know that if you listen to people like Sonnar Brian and Raydm6 you'll have the best chance of any possible of finding something like that for your camera.

May you have good light and even half as much fun shooting your 35RC as I do my rangefinders - if you do you'll be smiling till you're 100 ;) I was out this morning and got a couple of fun shots :D I hope you were too!

I'd probably figure out the dimensions experimentally, by first building it with strips of thin cardboard, then transfer it to a sheet of aluminum as sold in hobby- and some hardware stores. But as built, it'll be pretty fragile.
Can I get one?
Or can I get a design scheme for making one?
Yes of course you can. I'd probably figure out the sizing by first building it out of heavy paper, then transferring the results to thin metal. But as shown, it looks like it would be pretty fragile.

It looks like something that could be custom made by a machine shop by modifying a TLR lens hood and attaching it to a filter ring.

Tlr hood is also look good, haha. Thanks!

hard thing....finding machinist around willing to do camera work. I used send everything to Grimes. Not anymore.

The hood in the pic is hand-made one-of-a-kind. I remember seeing the original poster I think on this board.
The olympus 35RC lens is 43.5mm thread. Very hard to find filters.
The outer diameter is 44.75. So you need a 45 or 46mm clamp. 48mm wont fit.

I think most TLR lensehoods are either 37mm or 48mm.

But there are a few original 35RC hoods on ebay right now. Not too expensive either. And the can be reverse mounted as well.

Back