Where do you shop for FSU gear (esp Kiev/Contax RF mount cameras, lenses, and accessories)?

CP93

Local time
6:38 PM
Posting/Responding here does not imply endorsement by RFF.

Now that we've got that out of the way, where are your favorite websites to check for FSU gear?

I've been watching Ebay, and have bought from SovietCameraStore with great success (so far... knock on silicon).

Anyplace else y'all (or yinz if you're from da Burgh) recommend?

Fedka.com. Reliable, great communication, and the products are usually reconditioned and functioning flawlessly. I have a perfectly working Iskra (is that an oxymoron?) from Fedka that has just kept chugging along for several years. He's here in the US as well, so there are no shipping nightmares other than the usual domestic ones.

I've bought from Fedka and Oleg at okvintagecamera.com in Slovakia. Prices are reasonable with Oleg, especially considering he does CLA's on his cameras (and is an excellent repairman) but you have the extra shipping to pay. I've been happy with my Fedka purchases too. It just depends on what you want.

Fedka and Oleg. Used Oleg when he was in Russia. It took weeks to get the product, but was always CLAed and working properly.

A bit off-topic, but it seems that the Ukraine/Russia war has seen a decline in availability and a large increase in cost of decent quality FSU equipment, all to be expected. I haven't been paying close attention; for those who have, is this indeed the case?

A bit off-topic, but it seems that the Ukraine/Russia war has seen a decline in availability and a large increase in cost of decent quality FSU equipment, all to be expected. I haven't been paying close attention; for those who have, is this indeed the case?
I can still find things with prices that are acceptable from Poland and Ukraine. To get them, however, takes considerably longer. I don't buy anything from within the Russian Federation out of solidarity.

Now that Oleg is in Bratislava, he's way up the list if he has what I'm looking for.

Dear Board,

I bought a Jupiter 12 and Jupiter 9 in LTM mount from VVL-Lenses-Camera Shop from Ebay in the late summer. The seller is in Estonia and the lenses arrived in about 2 weeks and are in the condition they were described so I am pleased.

I've been tempted to buy from Igor's Camera Exchange in Cleveland but never have. A friend of mine who works as a manufacturer's representative for several lines of camera gear and accessories says he is definitely worth dealing with, as he has known and dealt with him for well over 20 years. If my buddy says he's a good guy, then I know it to be true. My friend has put me in contact with several people who had items I was seeking, and I have never been disappointed with anything I've purchased based on his vetting of the seller.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

i only look for FSU lenses, so cannot speak to cameras, but i think that there a lot fewer good condition KMZ lenses such as early J-3 s for sale on eBay since the war started late February 2022.

I can't say anything about pricing, but availability is a problem. The last two years I've only been shopping FSU gear locally. Prices are generally high here, but the advantage is lower shipping cost and not having to pay 25% VAT on top of purchase price and shipping.

Nowadays locally. One has to be patiend though. I doubt I will ever find an FT-2 camera in my neck of the woods.

I had Kiev from RFF classifieds it was serviced, but film advance was too much spring resistance. It went to Kiev for service. Came back as same.
I had Zorki.which was three years after known in Russia service person. It lasts only half year of real use, after rollers springs crapped out and became uneven, not retentional.
Oleg sent me uneven exposures FeD-2 twice.

Good luck with finding working for real FSU caméra.

If you are collecting it doesn't matter.
If you have idea what FSU caméra will serve you as tool..
You are wasting your money.
Get serviced Barnack or it's Japanese copy.

Eh, depends on what model and when it was made but yeah, the lenses can be safer to buy and even then you have to know what you're looking for or be friends with someone as experienced and talented as Brian. I am currently using two FSU lenses on my Nikon S-2 very successfully but that's because both have been adjusted for it. The J12 by Brian and the Helios by me following Brian's instructions. Without that information, they'd be paperweights.

Replying to wlewisii: I wouldn't be that sharp with the cameras and lenses from the former USSR: I have my 1968-made Kiev-4A, purchased back in 1975 when I was 16 years old; it is still perfectly working (just a checkup a few years ago).

Back