• both film and digital

Votes: 286 36.2%
  • hybred: film with digital printing

Votes: 80 10.1%

• Total voters

FrankS

Local time
11:10 AM
So let's kick off this new forum with a poll: Where do you stand?

Last edited:
I would say I stand on both.

Its kind of late at night, but I am willing to spare another hour with a bowl of popcorn to enjoy the show. :D

Cheers,
Dan.

Hey Frank, I think I am 99.9% film. A very strong preference for film. But I have no ax to grind against digital; it is just not the look for me. Accordingly I will use film, develop it myself and wet print, until it is no longer feasible to do so.

Hybrid ... 99% film (1% is the occasional Iphone shot) but all printing is digital (after scanning the film). I still have my enlarger and some other parts needed but no space / time to set it up ... :eek:

I shoot almost all film but process it, right now, mostly via a scanner. However, I intend to start using a public dark room soon and doing real printing again.

I have a fairly nice p&s digital - a Canon A590IS - but I really only use it for "for sale" ads.

100% film (b&w), which may change as I would like to shoot colour at times too. The availability of an affordable and compact digital camera with both a viewfinder and manual controls will decide when that becomes a reality. I see myself being 80% film, and 20% digital then.

I've been nearly all digital the past couple of years, but I'm feeling the urge to get out the medium-format gear and start reducing the stash of film aging in the fridge... :)

Film for me and occasionally for money ... digital for money!

My D700 along with Zeiss glass is changing that balance slightly though ... more so than my M8 ever did!

I totally see why people shoot digital, nothing against it, in some circumstances I found myself thinking " a big fast DSLR would have been better here". But as someone who grew up with computers and digital, film is interesting, and there is a "look" often which is pleasing to the eye.

I love how you can change out the "sensor" every 10 shots (on my Mamiya) and put in one tuned for amazing colour, infrared, extreme resolution, or whatever you want.

A lot can be achieved in Photoshop of course, but not everything, and I use computers enough as it is.

Shot my first roll of film in 1962 and made my first digital image in 1981. I have not shot a roll of film for work since 1990, scientific and technical photography.

I've used film for personal work for the most part up until last year when Kodak folded its film processing service. Since then, picked up an M8 and a pair of EP2's, shoot 75% digital and 25% film.

Both film and digital here and equally terrible at both, as long as I'm having fun though it doesn't matter to me. After all, it's just a hobby for me.

Back