Where is this "legacy lenses" thing heading?

Judging from the pics on the website it looks a little "fragile" to put it mildly. Also it doesnt seem to be available outside of the US anyway.

It isn't bad at all. It folds up snugly against the LCD (there's a pad to protect the LCD,) and it also swings underneath for using the LCD flip up. It is made of a lighweight polycarbonate that seems pretty sturdy to me. In fact, when the Clearviewer is swung underneath the camera in order to flip up the LCD, the Clearviwer actually provides a bit of a more solid base to grab onto when shooting at waist level. The thing is only $50, so it isn't a big deal if it breaks in a year or two (which I doubt.) Also, when folded up, it protects the LCD nicely against bumbs.

I thought the Clearviewer looked a little convoluted when I first saw it on the website, but, with the recommendation of others, I tried it, and it hasn't left my camera since. :)

It isn't bad at all. It folds up snugly against the LCD (there's a pad to protect the LCD,) and it also swings underneath for using the LCD flip up. It is made of a lighweight polycarbonate that seems pretty sturdy to me. In fact, when the Clearviewer is swung underneath the camera in order to flip up the LCD, the Clearviwer actually provides a bit of a more solid base to grab onto when shooting at waist level. The thing is only $50, so it isn't a big deal if it breaks in a year or two (which I doubt.) Also, when folded up, it protects the LCD nicely against bumbs.

I thought the Clearviewer looked a little convoluted when I first saw it on the website, but, with the recommendation of others, I tried it, and it hasn't left my camera since. :)

TY for info Douglas,

I wear glasses, I'm nearsighted about -4.25, but now I'm ready for bifocals, so I find myself looking over my glasses if the LCD is closer that about 14".

I'm just wondering how the clearviewer might affect this issue...

best,
Charlie

With the Sony NEX becoming a more and more popular base for "legacy lenses" I wonder what such is a system is capable of in practice. Have you seen something worthwhile shot on the NEX yet?

Or do we just have the ultimate "camera nerd´s camera" here?

The ability for fast and super fast short and long telephotos. I:E: 135mm f/2.8 becomes a short 270mm f/2.8, or a super fast 50mm f/1.2 becomes a 100mm f/1.2...

And now you know the rest of the story.......:p
Oh Yeah... Legacy lenses are going up in used value :(, especilay popular lenghts.... fast 35s, 50s, 85s, 135s 200s...
Better get that fast short telephoto now, while it is still fairly cheap. :D

I consider my Nex5 to be a P&S Plus...

With the kit 16mm, I have the same AOV as a 24mm, and if I use its electronic "zoom" I can simulate other AOV's.

With the NEX-M adapter, I can carry it with my ZI and M-mount lenses and have both a digital body and film body that share the same lenses.

With the NEX-F adapter, I can carry it wit a Nikon SLR and AI/AIS lenses and have both digital body and film body that share the same lenses.

yes, works great with Nikon old and new lens

yes, works great with Nikon old and new lens

The rainbow imaging adapter allows me to use my old non AI, AI, AIS, and AFS G (aperture less) DX lens on the NEX.

Great camera for M lens, and F lens.

I'd better try out all of my Nikkor glass on it before getting any new adapters, otherwise this could start to get confusing.

I do have a C-mount adapter and 25/1.4 lens on the way though... but that's it. Then I'm done.

Check my blog for photos of the adapter w/Nikon lens.

I consider my Nex5 to be a P&S Plus...

With the kit 16mm, I have the same AOV as a 24mm, and if I use its electronic "zoom" I can simulate other AOV's.

With the NEX-M adapter, I can carry it with my ZI and M-mount lenses and have both a digital body and film body that share the same lenses.

With the NEX-F adapter, I can carry it wit a Nikon SLR and AI/AIS lenses and have both digital body and film body that share the same lenses.

will do

will do

on the getdpi / sony forum, someone posted a link to a youtube video with a 25/1.4 1/2" c-mount lens and it had minimal vignetting and good quality, but it was an expensive (relatively) lens for video use.

However, the 25/1.4 1/2" one I'm getting is from/for cctv use, so may very likely be lomo type quality, the price was just a bit more than an adapter or so. I will post images from it though.

Please post some shots of the lens and what it can do when you have a chance,

all the best,

Charlie

here's an image with the 25/1.4 1/2" video is also circular (maybe a bit larger diameter):

1175781487_tDKeC-L.jpg

was oof on purpose, but focus isn't great with mine, it needs the slightest amount of shim, as minimum focus is about infinity, so focus stock, is infinity to far beyond.

I'd say if you have a nex and really want to use a c-mount lens, to go with the cctv 35/1.7 ~$40ish one which covers most of the sensor and skip this one.

However, the stepless aperture which goes to f-infinity is interesting, you can get most anything in focus when you stop down far enough, but stopped down the blades are squarish.

Back