Where to buy new digital cameras in San Francisco, CA?

JohnGellings

Well-known
Local time
3:49 PM
I'll be traveling to San Francisco in May and would like to buy a Nikon Zf while I am there. The camera is the equivalent of $3000 USD in Chile, so of course the chance to buy it for $2000 is nice.

I´ve only been to SF a few times and the camera stores I remember seem to have closed. I see a film camera store or two, but my limited research has not given me a clear option to buy a Nikon Zf. Anybody know? I'll actually be in Montara, CA really if there is anything close to there other than SF stores.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd consider ordering one from B and H Photo in NYC and have it shipped to you once you're in SF.
They offer free shipping most times and can overnight it too.

I've ordered from Camera West on Bush St. but I've never been in the store. Right now the Zf is listed as out of stock.

They also have stores in Walnut Creek and Rancho Mirage.

If I were you I'd consider ordering one from B and H Photo in NYC and have it shipped to you once you're in SF.
They offer free shipping most times and can overnight it too.
No, I can't do that under these circumstances (a dying relative). I need to buy in person this time. I know of all of the NYC stores since I lived in that area for 43 years. When I visit NJ, I order from B&H and MPB these days.

Best Buy might have one, maybe even WalMart. Did you try a Google search for cameras for sale in SF? Much as I promote buying from Camera Stores, they have limited stock often.

Hmmm, I'll have a car, so maybe I'll go check out Berkeley. I´ve never been there. Though I see they only have the body. Kind of want the SE 40mm combo.

Email them to let you know when you would be there, and see if they can get the 40mm kit from the distributor in time to have it waiting for you. Same goes for any other dealer you're considering.

Try Mike's Camera... there are stores in Pleasant Hill, Dublin, and Menlo Park, all near SF. Mike's is selling the Nikon Zf for about $2000, body only. You can check out deals w/ lenses on Google.

If you go to Yelp.com, set the area to be San Francisco, and search for "camera store", you'll get about 20 hits. Not all will be what you're looking for, but it gives a starting point.

(SF is 45 miles away from my home. I used to go there and visit at Adolf Gasser Photography, but that's long gone now. The only other camera stores I've visited there recently are the Leica Store and Glass Key Photo, neither of which cater to sale of new digital Nikon gear. Sadly, most of the good camera shops that used to be closer to home (in San Leandro, Palo Alto, San Jose, etc), have either closed or dumbed down to being little more than electronic consumer goods vendors now. So I do business with good camera shops around the country either by phone or using their on-line presence.)

G

If you go to Yelp.com, set the area to be San Francisco, and search for "camera store", you'll get about 20 hits. Not all will be what you're looking for, but it gives a starting point.
That's what I did. It seemed some were closed, some were film. I do not want to driving around searching.
(SF is 45 miles away from my home. I used to go there and visit at Adolf Gasser Photography, but that's long gone now. The only other camera stores I've visited there recently are the Leica Store and Glass Key Photo, neither of which cater to sale of new digital Nikon gear. Sadly, most of the good camera shops that used to be closer to home (in San Leandro, Palo Alto, San Jose, etc), have either closed or dumbed down to being little more than electronic consumer goods vendors now.
Yes, it seems that way.
So I do business with good camera shops around the country either by phone or using their on-line presence.)

G
Yes, I usually do too. This is not my normal trip with that availability. That said, it appears Walmart, Best Buy and Amazon (Amazon Locker) will work just fine as long as it is in stock when I'm there.

SF is my home and sadly there aren’t any camera stores to recommend for your needs. The last one which was Samy’s Camera closed recently. I am sure you can get one from Target or Walmart. You can go on their website and check for stock.

Back