Where to find adapter for C/Y lens to Xpan body?

sleepyhead

Well-known
Local time
2:57 AM
Help, please!

I found a good deal on a Zeiss 35mm PC-Distagon, and I would like to try this lens on my Xpan with an adapter, as I find the 45mm lens too narrow, and the 30mm lens to wide....

Does anyone know where I can buy the appropriate adapter? Or, know someone who can machine one for me? Or, someone who would like to sell theirs?

I know that this is a bit of a long-shot, but I want to try.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know of any commercially available adapter for the X-Pan. You might have to go the custom route and have someone adapt your lens by changing out the lens mount on the lens.

There is one for C/Y to M mount (I have one). The M-mount side is simply screwed on. I suppose you could get one and replace the mount for x-pan with any appropriate shims/milling down. I would not expect much difference from the FOV feeling of the 30mm x-pan lens however.

The times I used my adapter have been few. On M mount the lens I was most interested in was my Zeiss Distagon 21mm from the C/Y system. The Big 72mm Diameter of that lens blocks much of the external VF. When you consider that you will have about a 15mm tube between the lens and the mount after adapting and then, the extra diameter and length of the PC distagon 35mm. Framing from the VF or an external will be blocked by a great deal.

Andy, thanks for the advice. I currently use a 35mm PC-Nikkor on my Xpan and I love the field of view! However, I'm not entirely satisfied with the optical quality of the Nikkor.

The Hasselblad 30mm lens is also very slow, and needs a center filter.

The PC-Nikor and PC-Distagon also focus quite close: I've used the Nikkor with a tape measure to make some pretty interesting close-up Panos.

I have the Contarex 35mm Curtagon with adapter for the Xpan and it is sharp with little fall off even at max aperture. I have had the c/y 35mm PC Distagon and can say it is as good on the Xpan. Framing is pretty much hit and miss but the entire viewfinder is a good start. I ordered the adapters from a local dealer and they were machined to order. If you have no luck finding one then feel free to send me a message.

I purchased a C/Y adapter once on eB*y and also a 35mm Distagon PC to go with it. In the end, it's way much larger than the 30mm so I sold them (at a loss :-( ). This must have been at least 2-3 years ago.

I still have a 50.2 Leica Summicron R with rangefinder coupling. Unfortunately, it's only accurate to around 7 feet, then adjustment are needed, so that sort of defeats the purpose.

Close up Pano? Sounds very cool. I'll check through your flicker.
Here is that C/Y to M adapter. If you find a work around post it up.
I'm always curious about such projects.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Con...ltDomain_0&hash=item4cf8a0e1f6#ht_1302wt_1180

Hi Andy
I've not scanned any of those "close-up" panos yet, so you won't find them on flickr. By close-up, I mean about 0.3 to around 1.meter, by the way.
I need to work on my Xpan scanning solution. I have a nice negative of some footprints in the sand on a beach in Greece that I'm keen to see.

I would love it if I could mount some of my M wides on the Xpan, and I also have some C/Y lenses. If anybody finds out about an adapter, please share the info or pm me.

I would love it if I could mount some of my M wides on the Xpan, and I also have some C/Y lenses. If anybody finds out about an adapter, please share the info or pm me.

Jon, I think that M wides may not be possible due to the short flange to film distance of the Leica M, but SLR lenses such as Nikon F mount or Leica R mount are possible. And remember that most lenses used on the Xpan with an adapter will only cover the 24x36mm negative, not the panoramic size.

Still, I use a Voigtlander 15mm Heliar in Nikon F mount on my Xpan in non-Panoramic mode as an ultra-wide. The fact that it doesn't work in Pano mode doesn't bother me, as I use my Xpan in general for a mix of 24x36mm and 24x65mm. In that way it can be a quite versatile camera, as really not all subjects are suitable to the "letterbox" format.

Last year I took a long trip with my family and my main camera was the Xpan with only the 35mm PC-Nikkor and the Hasselblad 90mm. I used those two lenses in both Pano and non-Pano modes to cover everything from wide-angle "sweepscapes" (35mm lens in Pano-mode), to "normal" photos (35mm lens in non-Pano mode), to Pano-landscapes (90mm in Pano-mode), to portraits of the kids (90mm in non-Pano mode, wide open).

In fact, the 90mm lens is my favorite with the Xpan, but that's another story...

The Hasselblad 45mm lens is STUNNINGLY sharp and with lovely bokeh, but the field-of-view never seems to fit my vision.

If I could design the Hasselblad Xpan system all over, it would be 35/50/135mm slow (like f/4 or f/5.6) lenses that covered the full Panoramic format, AND have a flange distance that allowed the use of Leica M lenses such as the Summiluxes and super-wides in Non-Pano mode with an adapter.

That would be my dream camera!

I couldn't agree more! I wish Leica M lenses could be used on the Xpan for non-pano mode. That would save me the hassle of carrying an extra body when faster lenses are needed.

Are there any places other than ebay to purchase these adapters? I'd really like a Minolta MD version, but could settle for a Nikkon F.

Thanks,
Dave

Yaron,
Thanks for the information. As I don't have any F or R lenses, it really does not help me, but I can see how it would be fun. It could be cool to adapt the ZF Distagon 18 or 25 to the Xpan!!!
I'm just starting out with the Xpan, only two rolls through it so far, neither of which have been developed. The 45 actually suits me quite well in both its pano version as a 24 and in conventional version as a normal. I suppose this may be all I ever want out of this camera, but I am impressed by how much you like the 90.
The panoramic mode is suitable for a lot of the milieux in which I find myself in central France: river banks, bridges, long ridge lines...much better, in fact, than the tight steep 'scapes of Taiwan.
The body is little too heavy, in the end, for it to become a regular part of my backpack landscape kit, but since 24 and 45 cover most of my landscape needs, I will certainly bring it on occasion.
Best,
Jon

Jon, I think that M wides may not be possible due to the short flange to film distance of the Leica M, but SLR lenses such as Nikon F mount or Leica R mount are possible. And remember that most lenses used on the Xpan with an adapter will only cover the 24x36mm negative, not the panoramic size.

Still, I use a Voigtlander 15mm Heliar in Nikon F mount on my Xpan in non-Panoramic mode as an ultra-wide. The fact that it doesn't work in Pano mode doesn't bother me, as I use my Xpan in general for a mix of 24x36mm and 24x65mm. In that way it can be a quite versatile camera, as really not all subjects are suitable to the "letterbox" format.

Last year I took a long trip with my family and my main camera was the Xpan with only the 35mm PC-Nikkor and the Hasselblad 90mm. I used those two lenses in both Pano and non-Pano modes to cover everything from wide-angle "sweepscapes" (35mm lens in Pano-mode), to "normal" photos (35mm lens in non-Pano mode), to Pano-landscapes (90mm in Pano-mode), to portraits of the kids (90mm in non-Pano mode, wide open).

In fact, the 90mm lens is my favorite with the Xpan, but that's another story...

The Hasselblad 45mm lens is STUNNINGLY sharp and with lovely bokeh, but the field-of-view never seems to fit my vision.

If I could design the Hasselblad Xpan system all over, it would be 35/50/135mm slow (like f/4 or f/5.6) lenses that covered the full Panoramic format, AND have a flange distance that allowed the use of Leica M lenses such as the Summiluxes and super-wides in Non-Pano mode with an adapter.

That would be my dream camera!

A small update: I got a quote from SK Grimes to make a custom adapter for the C/Y PC-Distagon for 300-500 USD.

Unfortunately, with the cost of the lens itself, I'm hesitating until I scan the pictures with the 35mm PC-Nikkor and see really how good prints I can make.

XPAN- C/Y-adapter should exist

XPAN- C/Y-adapter should exist

I have seen one at photokina by a chinese company which sells stuff. it was not the producer. i remember the images online. 5mm shift-up is possible without vignetting. company does not existe anymore.
zeiss-pc-distagon is highly estimated for digital cams. there is a comparison test. i have it. fabulous!
btw: nothing to do with xpan
i have a nikon to hasselblad-adapter but could not find the producer. anyone? yes nikon-lens to hasselblad-camera, not the opposite. two rings which can be seperated, a different lens-ring used.

Close up Pano? Sounds very cool. I'll check through your flicker.
Here is that C/Y to M adapter. If you find a work around post it up.
I'm always curious about such projects.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Con...ltDomain_0&hash=item4cf8a0e1f6#ht_1302wt_1180

https://www.kentfaith.com/KF06.170_...MIyaaJ_K6k5QIVB-h3Ch38rgPgEAQYAiABEgKLPfD_BwE
Dont forget to check infinity. Kentfaith know for offering past-infinity-adapters. at least C/Y-EOS-version must be taped to adjust infinity. I am using this red tape use in labs.

I am now in search of an M-xpan-adapter.

Want to remind that the Techart -AF-adapters for sony Nex are made for M-lenses accepting this adapter for C/Y-lenses.
Now i am searching for M-Xpan-adapter.

I wonder why so complicated: shift 10mm to the left and shoot. the same for right-shifting and stitch. Done. no need for Xpan. Zeiss PC-Distagon 35/2.8 is so sharp even fully open. but i have not yet tested performance when shifted.only have APS-C and FF analoge. Sigma L will tell the truth. But digital Pros are amazed about the Zeiss. google. it is beating all others. also schneider pc-superangulon 28mm. btw: Schneider told its not convenient to use double-adapters. performance will be declined.

I love "problems" like this.

So, start here perhaps. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-AI-F...670240?hash=item41b708a0e0:g:UhUAAOSwPTlb2ost

I then figured an adapter ring to fit the C/Y mount lens to the Nikon bayonet, but the flange distance is against us. (C/Y is 45.5mm and the Nikon Ai is 46.5)

Of course a simple milling job to skim a millimeter off would be all that is needed.

I actually started looking for an adapter to fit Canon E/F lenses to the X-Pan, as it's a simple fix to then use a C/Y to E/F adapter.

I'll keep looking, as I have an X-Pan myself and love tinkering like this.
Gary

Back