Where Would You Go?

I am in the initial stages of planning a 4-6 month round the world trip. I will probably be leaving at the end of September (airfares drop significantly). I have no ties left in the US (selling house and no debt) and I have a very good retirement income (33 years working for US government).

Presently, I plan on Japan, Korea, Philippines, Malaysia overland to Thailand, India, Israel/Jordan, Italy overland through Europe, and then home. I hope to use only carry on luggage but may need to purchase a bit of winter clothing by the time I reach Israel.

My photo equipment will probably be all digital with a Leica MP240 as the main camera. I will either take 25,35 and 90 focal lengths or just leave the 25 at home. Both the 35 and 90 are small and light. I have just preordered a Ricoh GR3 for backup but it also gives me a 28 FOV. It all fits nicely in a Hadley Small. I hope to write a blog (not video) and post photos and story as I go. Need to exercise the brain so I stay sharp.

So, I am looking for suggestions on places to visit. I have done a lot of international travel in my 66 years, especially during the last ten since I have been retired. But let me hear your favorite destinations and why.

Also, I am looking for suggestions on non photographic gear. What do you think is essential for travel? And my main computer is a seven or eight year old MacBook Pro. I need something much lighter but with the capability to post photos. I know nothing about computers and may be the oldest analog dinosaur around. It does not have to be an Apple product.

Thanks!

As mentioned in other posts... Portable backup is essential...

jeff

For the 240? WATE, MATE, and 75 Summarit 2.4. Maybe throw in a VM 1,2/50 for when paucity of light dictates.

Walked my way through Istanbul with the GR. Lots of fun and missed no shots.

Well, the country list is far from finalized or complete. I have been to Thailand half a dozen times, toured Cambodia with my daughter a few years ago, motorcycled through Laos on a Honda 250, took my daughter to Taiwan and Hong Kong two years ago at Xmas, and the only country on my list that I have not visited in SE Asia is Vietnam.

Overland from Singapore to Bangkok is something I have been wanting to do for years and India is also on my list (spent a month in Nepal and suspect it is similar). Funny but the only time I have ever had any type of traveler's stomach was not in Asia but in Guatemala after eating something from a sidewalk vender during Semana Santa.

After India I am giving serious thought to Israel and Jordan. I am not the slightest bit religious but just from a historical perspective Jerusalem is a must and Petra has fascinated me for years (INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, anyone).

And even though my daughter and I spent 90 days in Europe four years ago and my recent vacations have been to Scotland and England, there is a lot of Europe I have yet to visit, especially France, Germany, Austria and Netherlands. I think I may fly into Rome from Israel and use the trains to explore Europe. Florence was one of my favorite Italian cities on our trip four years ago.

I am trying to travel with just one carry on and a small camera bag. Since I will be starting the trip on the equator, I may have to purchase winter clothing in Europe since my rough schedule puts me there in December. I would rather do that then lug warm clothing through Asia and India.

I just received a 11.5" Lenovo for the trip on the recommendation of a friend who is a computer nerd. I also purchased a mint FujiX100F planning to use it as a backup. However, it is so good I may leave the MP240 at home.

I know from threads here that people debate carrying a $6000(or more) Leica on travel but I keep thinking why do I own it if I am not going to use it. Presently, I am thinking MP240 with 25/50/90 and the X100F. I have changed the lens combo to include a 50 vice a 35 since the X100F has that focal length covered. I have shot with the original X100 on several trips and loved it (size, freedom, IQ, and ease of use). Both the X100 and MP240 kit will fit in a Billingham Hadley Small and the Leica can always remain at the hotel but I would rather have it along then not. I plan on writing and photographing a blog as I move around the world. And it might contain some rather politically incorrect observations about current events.

Anyway, that is the evolving plan. Hope to leave the US in the last half of September for Japan and Asia. Keep the comments coming as I am sure there are things I am overlooking.

...Oh yes..Brussels is good for 2 hours.

An hour to get in and an hour to get out. Stop in Turnhout, and go to In Den Spytighen Duvel for a beer or a few, Try Oud Beersel Oud Kriek (brewed in Brussels none the less), and any on of another couple of hundred. Say hi to whomever the current owner is (hope its still there, its been about 6 years since I visited).

An hour to get in and an hour to get out. Stop in Turnhout, and go to In Den Spytighen Duvel for a beer or a few, Try Oud Beersel Oud Kriek (brewed in Brussels none the less), and any on of another couple of hundred. Say hi to whomever the current owner is (hope its still there, its been about 6 years since I visited).

That’s an excellent suggestion. I tend to go for the Leffe Blonde and will give Beersel Oud Kriek a taste on this trip. I work for a Dutch company so travel to Amsterdam regularly and then take local trips. And having heard Brussels mentioned so often in the news I decided to finally visit and was defeated by my own expectations. Antwerp is a more interesting city and of course Bruges and Ghent.

Christmas time in Israel would be unforgettable experience! You could stay in Bethlehem (near Jerusalem) for eve. Jerusalem is good this time as well, for instance Via Dolorosa and Church of Holy Sepulchre (built on top of tomb cave and Golgatha). Wide angle would be nice for architecture shooting. Crowds will be big, but as its winter, queuing should not be too bad (I went there last summer).

Sounds like Vietnam should be on your list. What about the western Silk road after India? A friend of mine did Kashgar, Samarkand, Tashkent, etc a few years a go. Said it was pretty amazing.

Overland from Singapore to Bangkok is something I have been wanting to do for years...

I'm probably biased (my wife is from Kuala Lumpur and her family are originally from a small Malaysian village near the Thai border) but I would highly recommend the Singapore - Bangkok route. If only so you can spend a whole bunch of time eating (Malaysian food is the best in the world :)).

Malaysia is hugely underrated as a travel destination, and because it has never really been on the SE Asian backpacking route, travelling there is much less agressively commercial than more popular neighbouring countries.

I know from threads here that people debate carrying a $6000(or more) Leica on travel but I keep thinking why do I own it if I am not going to use it.
As long as you have decent travel insurance what does it matter? If the camera is lost/stolen/broken just put in a claim and Bob's your uncle.

Well, the country list is far from finalized or complete. I have been to Thailand half a dozen times, toured Cambodia with my daughter a few years ago, motorcycled through Laos on a Honda 250, took my daughter to Taiwan and Hong Kong two years ago at Xmas, and the only country on my list that I have not visited in SE Asia is Vietnam.

Overland from Singapore to Bangkok is something I have been wanting to do for years and India is also on my list (spent a month in Nepal and suspect it is similar). Funny but the only time I have ever had any type of traveler's stomach was not in Asia but in Guatemala after eating something from a sidewalk vender during Semana Santa.

After India I am giving serious thought to Israel and Jordan. I am not the slightest bit religious but just from a historical perspective Jerusalem is a must and Petra has fascinated me for years (INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, anyone).

And even though my daughter and I spent 90 days in Europe four years ago and my recent vacations have been to Scotland and England, there is a lot of Europe I have yet to visit, especially France, Germany, Austria and Netherlands. I think I may fly into Rome from Israel and use the trains to explore Europe. Florence was one of my favorite Italian cities on our trip four years ago.

I am trying to travel with just one carry on and a small camera bag. Since I will be starting the trip on the equator, I may have to purchase winter clothing in Europe since my rough schedule puts me there in December. I would rather do that then lug warm clothing through Asia and India.

I just received a 11.5" Lenovo for the trip on the recommendation of a friend who is a computer nerd. I also purchased a mint FujiX100F planning to use it as a backup. However, it is so good I may leave the MP240 at home.

I know from threads here that people debate carrying a $6000(or more) Leica on travel but I keep thinking why do I own it if I am not going to use it. Presently, I am thinking MP240 with 25/50/90 and the X100F. I have changed the lens combo to include a 50 vice a 35 since the X100F has that focal length covered. I have shot with the original X100 on several trips and loved it (size, freedom, IQ, and ease of use). Both the X100 and MP240 kit will fit in a Billingham Hadley Small and the Leica can always remain at the hotel but I would rather have it along then not. I plan on writing and photographing a blog as I move around the world. And it might contain some rather politically incorrect observations about current events.

Anyway, that is the evolving plan. Hope to leave the US in the last half of September for Japan and Asia. Keep the comments coming as I am sure there are things I am overlooking.

when I read 4 to 6 months and all the countries you mentioned you consider to cover in that time my first though had been, I admit: "oh my, that will be a rushed journey where one only can scratch the surface of places, not even that, only rush through some tourist sites"

Now I read that you have been to many places in Asia already, and maybe it's just different styles anyway. Still, imo for India alone, in 4 to 6 months, one can only see that much. It's kind of a continent in itself, from highest, remote mountain peaks to desserts to sandy beaches, tribal areas, old and lost kingdoms asf. asf. I know the place just a bit, after touring it, total in my life, for some 5(+) years. There are quite a few places that are still on my list that I haven't seen yet, others that I'd want to go back, by now after years..
For only a rel. short visit I may be able to give some advice but first would need ask, what is that you would be looking for, what is it you wanted to see?

Japan is a most unique and beautiful country too!
So is Vietnam.

If you do make it to Austria, ktmrider, there is a Museum dedicated to KTM, the motorcycle manufacturer, due to open, if I understand right, in a few days or weeks, during this coming month April in the very place of it's original manufacturing, Mattighofen: http://www.hlw-architekten.at/projekt/ktm-museum-in-mattighofen/

personally I would not keep that 25mm home, or even substitute it with a 21mm. On my travels the majority of photos are taken with a Voigtlander Heliar 15mm on APS-C sensor, that is @ abt. 21.5mm equivalent. Your X100F sure is a great camera, again I would want it wider than 35mm, even over the Ricoh GR with 28mm, as a backup, I'd rather choose a Sony RX100iii or newer for it's nice 24-70mm zoom range and general versatility, EVF, tiltable LCD, builtin flash, smaller body size. That Lenovo you got is just about the kind of machine that I would have suggested, congrats!

That’s an excellent suggestion. I tend to go for the Leffe Blonde and will give Beersel Oud Kriek a taste on this trip. I work for a Dutch company so travel to Amsterdam regularly and then take local trips. And having heard Brussels mentioned so often in the news I decided to finally visit and was defeated by my own expectations. Antwerp is a more interesting city and of course Bruges and Ghent.

I will not put Leffe Blonde down (have had a few Leffe Brunes), but compared to what is available in Belgium and an dem Sphygten Duvel, Leffe Blonde is kind of like going to Milwaukee and ordering a Budweiser. But Leffe Blonde is definitely better than (American) Budweiser!

http://drinkbelgianbeer.com/cafes/beer-bars-turnhout-belgium

Cafe De Penge is also interesting. Marc has always been the owner as long as I went there (just a few times- then I lost track of it for a few trips until last trip (~ 6years ago) when I ran into it again. As for In den Shygten Duvel, Dirk was the owner last time I went. There was a couple of changes since the original owner left it as I recall (the articles says Dirk bought it in 2000, but that seems pretty early form my recollection). The article describes An den Sphygten Duvel to be "in the mournful devil", but the original owner told me it is an old Fleimish expression "to have pity on the devil", which is something people muttered under their breath in public to each other to indicate they went out and partied the night before or for similar purposes (kind of a code expression).

Agreed whole half year could easily be spent in India alone, but perhaps limit the visit to some part of it, for example Rajasthan. Or, since op is retired, take a full year instead? :p

Well, the schedule will only be finalized once I buy a RTW ticket as you must pick flights and dates and changing them can cost quite a bit. However, I have looked at pay as you go flights which offer much greater flexibility and I don't see the RTW ticket as saving much money compared to buying each leg separately.

Again, sometime this summer I will no longer have a house or any connection to El Paso. I am even thinking of using this trip for scouting an overseas location to live for a couple years.

Keep the comments coming.

Well, the schedule will only be finalized once I buy a RTW ticket as you must pick flights and dates and changing them can cost quite a bit. However, I have looked at pay as you go flights which offer much greater flexibility and I don't see the RTW ticket as saving much money compared to buying each leg separately.

Again, sometime this summer I will no longer have a house or any connection to El Paso. I am even thinking of using this trip for scouting an overseas location to live for a couple years.

Keep the comments coming.

This would not surprise me. I fly quite a bit around Asia, many budget airlines are operating and flight costs are low. E.g. right now from Bali I can take a flight to Kuala Lumpur, from there, if it was, to Yangon, and from there again to Ho Chi Minh City ( or from K.L. to HCMC straight just as well ) for in between 30 to 80 usd each ( depending on route and date ) or over to India for starting at 50 usd, more usually for around 100 usd

Well, I have picked up a few cheap accessories (extra battery, screen protector, UV filter) for the X100F and I am stunned at the images from this little camera. Of course, I owned and loved the original X100 and used it as my only camera for several international trips.

So, the question now presents itself as wether to pack both the MP240 with 25/50/90 and the X100F or only take the X100F. I am of two minds as the MP240 offers focal length flexibility and perhaps more important is weather proof but is heavy and expensive. I traveled with the M9 a few years ago (90 days in Europe) and I do enjoy the Leica. Presently, I think I will take both. The good news is I packed all my clothes and electronics and I still have room in my carry on, perhaps my Barbour jacket for winter in Europe.

I'm a big fan of Hong Kong, although you did say you've already been there. For some reason, there's something about the visual texture of the streets and buildings in Hong Kong that absolutely fascinates me, and I love to shoot it.

Gear: yes yes yes take your M240. If you're concerned about theft, loss or damage, get the appropriate insurance. 25/50/90 sounds like a good combination. My Leica travel set is 21/35/50 because I love the context that 21mm brings, a fast 35 is my night lens, and the 50 is for environmental portraits and details. The GR III in your bag will be perfect for times when you don't want to have a larger camera visible, but you still want to take pictures.

Internal connecting flights might have more restrictions on what you can take and how much weight you can carry in the cabin, so look at being as minimal as possible in terms of clothes and everything. You've traveled extensively so you know about liquid restrictions, which would be my issue if traveling with only a carry on bag.

As a counterargument for 'take the M240', take a look at the photos made by Brian Kraft with the original Fuji X100. He's a wedding photographer with a really good eye for subject and composition. Everything here was taken with the X100, which shows how versatile this camera and focal length can be.

http://blog.briankraft.com/personal/fuji-x100-destination-maui-hawaii/

The X100F and GR III would give you a lighter setup than the M240 plus three lenses for sure. You know what it's like to travel with just one lens, so these two cameras kind of give you the best of both worlds.

So, I see B&H has both auxiliary lenses available (turns the 35 FOV into 28 and 50 equivalents) used for about $250 each for the X100F. New they are usually $349 each. Have read good reviews of both as the f2 maximum aperture stays the same. Each aux lens is fairly large (compared to the X100) but I would have 28/35/50 and using the built in jpeg telecomverter perhaps 100mm FOV.

I am wondering if anyone has used the X100 with the aux lenses and if they are worthwhile. I would definitely leave the MP240 at home but presently my instinct is to leave the X100F as small and simple as possible and use the MP240 with 24 when I need something wider then the 35 FOV on the X100F.

Comments?

The whole point of acquiring Leicas is to use them on incredible trips, not leave them home. Otherwise, what's the point?

Huss: I agree 90% of the time as I don't collect cameras (although there are a few in the cabinet I have not used in awhile). There is just a small part of me that says just take one and the lightest one at that, thus the X100F. But I have decided (at the moment) to keep the X100F as simple as possible thus I am passing on the auxiliary lenses.

And I can always leave either or both cameras in the hotel room for those times when I am not in the mood.

When I go on trips and wish to keep small kit, I tend to take a 9x12 with 6x9 back, and a Welta Welti. Not too heavy (still recovering from bad back problem), yet I can expect good photos. I understand I am not giving good advice since you are in to digital. I may make that transition yet for a hoped for savings in weight.

But one piece of advise I think is useful for film or digital; a small light-weight tripod. You likely won't need it often, but like many tools, when you need one, substitutes may not serve as well. I used to carry a Velbron a lot. Aluminum-light and hard. But I never did need it for self defense. :D

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos. If my wife and I get an improvement in our health, we might wish to take some Space-A or other inexpensive flights as well. Hope you enjoy as you apparently have in the past.

Back