Whew, Minolta CLE healthy again

Doug

Staff member
Local time
3:19 AM
I was worried, maybe unduly alarmed by those who caution against the electronics dependence of the Minolta CLE.... Repeating behavior of 4 years ago, the shutter speed diodes and indeed the shutter speeds themselves got wacky, inconsistent, unreliable.

The previous time, CameraTechs, a respected repair shop in Seattle, had given the camera an overhaul, also replacing the foam light seals. They said the problem was dirty electrical contacts. This time, my local repair guy did a CLA with special attention to electrical switches and such. He had some replacement electronic components on hand, but they weren't needed. Cleaning did it.

The RF spot was slightly out of alignment vertically, and adjusting this threw the horizontal alignment off! He said it was very difficult to get both adjustments right on, partly because the alignment seems to shift a little with eye position. Otherwise he liked the big bright viewfinder.

So I'm delighted to have my favorite 35mm RF camera back in top condition, hopefully for a long time to come. Now I can get back to using it with the CV 28mm Skopar to see if f/3.5 is fast enough for those interior environmental portraits... or do I "need" a 28mm Summicron instead? :D

Beware of the men who need...

At this point, an Ultron 28/f1.9 would be better for you.

Glad your CLE is back on the saddle! :)

Good to hear its back in fighting form :) I've always been tempted by the CLE but held off because of its all battery dependence. How long does a pair of batteries usually last you, Doug?

Tom

Glad to hear the CLE is back in operation. Its Viewfinder must be a lot like the CL; adjusting one axis knocks off the other. It is a very pretty camera, someday I will add one to the "gang".

FYI: the Leica M forum here at RFF certainly covers Minolta CLE's. Come on over!

Thanks for the good wishes, guys; it really is a relief!

Flyfisher Tom said:
I've always been tempted by the CLE but held off because of its all battery dependence. How long does a pair of batteries usually last you, Doug?
Tom, somehow battery dependence has never bothered me, and thinking back over many years I cannot recall a time when lack of a fresh battery has been a problem. Well, there WAS a recent time I wanted to use my Canon G3 digital and it had sat unused long enough the battery needed charging.

Batteries are pretty small, so I typically have a spare or two of each needed type in the bag. And I check battery condition before a major photo excursion. Of several dozen cameras, the one that needs most frequent battery replacement is the Pentax 67.

Anyway, thinking back over the time I've had the CLE, battery life is measured in years; I'm going to guess at about 4 years. I have noticed it doesn't seem to affect battery life if I accidentally leave the main switch ON for long periods.

Say, my CLE just had its 23rd anniversary! Record shows I bought it March 29, 1982; $470 new with lens. What a nice present for it to get spiffed up at the spa!

Doug could you give me the cotact info for the folks who Cla'd your CLE? My slower speeds are a bit off.

Thanks
DD

Hi DD -- It's just a one-man (Michael) shop in Yakima WA called Yakima Camera Repair. 509-575-1539. He says about 70% of his work is with SLRs like Nikon FE, FM, Minolta Maxxum, etc, and with a grin he adds Mamiya RB/RZ, which he thinks are unreliable. He has done a lot of small repairs and CLAs for me that are off his usual track, but he says he enjoys the change of pace. He CLA'd two Pentaxes dating from 1958 and 1960, and my Leica M2 and 1st vers. 35 'cron, finding an assembly error in the lens focus helix. He's very precise and careful, and not loathe to admit something is beyond his scope of experience, like recently he declined shutter work on a Kiev 4a.

Posted by Flyfisher Tom

Good to hear its back in fighting form :) I've always been tempted by the CLE but held off because of its all battery dependence. How long does a pair of batteries usually last you, Doug?

Tom, I use silver SR44's and change them once a year whether they need it or not and they are so small that a couple of fresh batteries in your pocket is no problem.

The CLE is a great little camera! I got mine with 2 of the 3 lenses from a friend who worked at Minolta and then went into NYC to pick up the 3rd. Now that was an experience, visiting 47th St, Adorama etc.

I picked up a 132px flash with bounce head, which works pretty well.

So as not to get you closer to domestic disputes, Tom, I shouldn't say anything more about the CLE, like how compact and innocent looking it is. Impression is like a Canonet or similar. Oh well, mum's the word. :)

Back