Votes: 91 9.0%
  • R3A

Votes: 157 15.5%
  • R4M

Votes: 118 11.6%
  • R4A

Votes: 113 11.1%

• Total voters
None... I think I've been spoiled by Leica. I tried to like the Bessa... it just felt cheap compared to a Leica M. Now, I'd still use a Bessa over most SLRs.

I chose the R2 because it's mechanical and simple and it just works. Plus it's the only one I have. (Though I did have a Bessa R for a short time)

I got the R3M for its finder. What a finder it is. I might add an R2M, but I doubt it; between my M2 and R3M I'm not missing much, if at all.

I think I'd like an R4M.

I have an L, but the shutter hangs up every time I use it. I almost threw it in the trash the other day.

Enough is enough!

Texsport

It's been the other way to me... After using Bessas first, I don't feel Leicas are special... Anyway I own a Barnack for the manual, unmetered shooting feeling... But I've tried the M2, M3 and M6 (no M7) and I feel Bessas are better cameras, beter tools... I miss my Ts' external meter reading and ultralight weight, or my R3A's AE and 1:1 finder, or my R4M's ultrawide internal finder, and I miss the very fast shutter in all of them too...

But honestly I think it's not about what we use first, as I don't miss my Nikons :) so I guess it's really about what the cameras can do... It's a superb line of cameras.

Cheers,

Juan

I think its a toss up really, because cosina has designed the Bessa series with so many differences and incremental features, it really makes it easy to objectively look at the entire lineup and decide which one best suits your needs. The R3M/A and the R4M/A pretty much cover everything you could need in a rangefinder, and one of these 4 bodies will likely best suit your needs. I personally chose the R3A because I mostly use ‘normal’ focal length lenses i.e.: 40, 50mm. so the 1.0x viewfinder is the most amazing thing. ever. and because I wanted the convince of AE, the ‘A’ version was where it was at. but I could have easily chose the M version if I had decided that mechanical operation was a priority. if I used wide lenses the R4 would have been a no brainer, and again, mechanical operation (read: battery dependency) or not would have swayed my choice for either the A or the M. the Bessa’s are really extremely well thought out tools, and you have to give credit where its due, because not even the M6 or M7 can really touch the Bessa R3/4 series in a lot of ways. my only gripe is really the chosen building materials to save costs. but then again, if it were built more like a tank it would probably cost considerably more.

my first rangefinder was a Bessa R, don't have a bessa now.

perhaps I'd consider an R4M with the wonderful 1.0x viewfinder magnification if it had 135mm frame lines....

I voted for the R3M because I love the VF but can't stand the mixed-up finish on the newer R3A - nice splatter-paint on the film door with truly hideous matt-black elsewhere. That matt finish always felt really weird under my fingers, somewhat like a smoother version of the "velvety-looking" paint that Sigma uses on some of their lenses. The gloss finish on the R3M is nice and the 1:1 VF is a treat to look through (though I found it extremely hard to see the 40mm framelines, and I don't wear glasses).

I do wish that they'd go back to the original R3A splatter paint for the entire camera (the mixed version looks like it's made with parts from two different bodies), and do something about the battery holder; the metal lid screws into a soft plastic battery case rather than the baseplate, and on the R3A I briefly had you could see wiring through the gap between the baseplate and the battery holder with the lid removed.

If the Bessa III was on the poll my answer might have been different!

Scott

I have a Bessa r with 35mm color skopar, really good to use and results are very nice. May not be around in 65 years like my leica 111 and elmar 5cm still working perfect!

Do not have any of them.

However, I have considered buying the r4m since it is unique and a "Leica-copy" model.

I better go for a m2 instead of r2m.

Happy New rf-year!

R3A for the abillity to use the CV 40 1.4 as general purpose lens and having the highest RF accuracy.
AE is very handy at available light photography because of the varying light situations indoors.

R3A for the abillity to use the CV 40 1.4 as general purpose lens and having the highest RF accuracy.
AE is very handy at available light photography because of the varying light situations indoors.

This is my dream combo. I'm saving up for it though so hopefully I'll have one sooner than later.

I had the R and I LOVED it but it disappeared on me. I voted for the r3a becuase of the 1:1 r finder and the AE.

This is my dream combo. I'm saving up for it though so hopefully I'll have one sooner than later.

I had the R and I LOVED it but it disappeared on me. I voted for the r3a becuase of the 1:1 r finder and the AE.

The only reason I bought the R3m and not the Ikon, was the 1:1.
I find that with 1:1 the 50mm framelines are a lot easier to frame.
Use the 40mm lines for my 35 and it has not stopped me once, kinda easy to "guess" 5mm wider when you have both eyes open.

For me, the best RF camera ever made.

Just got myself a Bessa T, the Navy Blue 101 anniversary one with the Heliar, it's pretty damned nice. I was a little worried about separate rangefinder and viewfinder, but a couple of minutes of using it, it seems natural.
The Heliar is very pretty, but not sure I like collapsibles yet.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes. I only recently got into RF photography and bought a cheap Zorki 4K w/ Jupiter-8. While I absolutely loved the experience, I'm now starting to think I want to trade up. The Zorki's lack of lightmeter and framelines, along with all its mechanichal quirks, might be fun and interesting at times but it makes shooting something of a hassle. The Zorki is also just as loud as any old SLR, which has kept me from shooting as much street as I would have wanted.
So after doing some research, it seems the Bessa R would be a match made in heaven for me, and I therefore have a few questions for you guys about it:

1. Can I just use my Jupiter-8 on the Bessa straight away or will it need readjustment?

2. What other lenses would you recommend besides the Jupiter? Is there a cheap(ish) 35 mm LTM-lense of similar quality?

3. How does the used market look for the Bessa R and what would be a reasonable price for it?

4. Is it worth taking a chance bying from Ebay (as I did with the Zorki) or it just too risky? I live in Sweden and far from all sellers seem willing to ship internationally. The local supply appears very limited so its not really an option.

Regards, Tommy

Bessa R was my first RF in recent times, which means around 10 years ago. I still use it beside my m7. And the R with the Heliar 50 mm F 2 anniversary edition is a superb combination.
robert

Back