Which Canon RF camera to use?

Personally likes the L1 the most because of it small size and view. Small than the P and 7s but warm with good patch contrast. All the manual discs and wind are so classic and beautiful.
Waiting for my IIIA for it's classic vintage beauty and small size. However a bit worry about it's small view compared to the later and may be better IVsb2

Personally likes the L1 the most because of it small size and view. Small than the P and 7s but warm with good patch contrast. All the manual discs and wind are so classic and beautiful.
Waiting for my IIIA for it's classic vintage beauty and small size. However a bit worry about it's small view compared to the later and may be better IVsb2

I like the L1 best too. I think it has more character and who can resist that front mounted slow speed dial? The only problem with mine is that the slow speeds are now really slooooow. Apart from that it works beautifully.

Hi Lawrence,
You are right. The front slow speed dial is really eye-catching and attractive.
That makes the outer appearance of the V series better than the VI and 7 series ( at least personally ).

I have three old Canons, and I keep changing my mind. The IVSB-2 is undoubtedly the best made. The P is the most enjoyable to use, I think. And the 7S with its marvelous multi-frame VF and good meter is certainly the most featured. If I were going to sell one, I would be very hard put to select the one to go.

Cheers,
Dez

Definitely the P is the easiest to use and take good pictures with of the ones I've had, Barnacks, a 7s and a VT. I'd like to try an L too.

Well, I only just got my P a short time ago and, apart from some rangefinder issues I've addressed in another thread, I really like it. It handles very nicely, has a good weight, and operates smoothly and easily without being too "fiddly."

That being said, I'm really drawn to the Canon II, III, and IV cameras. I used to have a Leica IIIa, and while it was a bit "fiddly" to use (especially loading), I still enjoyed shooting it. If I got one (and the more I think about it, the more sure I am that I will), I would look for something like a IIIA, or some other model that doesn't have the flash bracket on the side. One thing I love about those Canon models is their appearance, and I feel that the mount on the side spoils the look somewhat. Besides, I wouldn't be interested in using one of those for flash photography anyway.

I just bought a Canon P and 50 1.8 and so far I love it. I was a bit worried about the round, soft edged rangefinder patch in comparison to Leica M's I've handled before, but it's not an issue at all for me. Film loading is also really nice compared to the Leica's. Now I'm tempted to find a nice 7 or VT to try as well.

I have a few Canon RFs, IIS2, L1, P, 7sz

I am quite fond of the IIS2, I think it's that model, 1/500 top speed, both X and FP sync, shutter with modern speed progression. I use it with the VF mag at the highest and a modern accessory viewfinder in the shoe. Focus with the magnified image, frame with the Aux. Using it that way, I might really like a Leica IIIg, but this is what I have. I love the solid feel of the bottom loader. Loading is a pain, but not too awful.

I could use the L1 the same way, and it would be fine. The copy I have is kind of beat up, but everything works just fine. Loading is easier, but the hinged back feels less solid than a bottom loader.

The P is very usable. Like many here, I don't think the 35mm frame is all that usable. Nothing wrong with it just less quirky than the older models. I've had some light leaks, but they're really easy to fix with some velcro loops in the two tiny spots near the back hinge.

7sZ, very likable. I think the meter works, but haven't tested it recently. My copy has a vertical alignment issue in the RF, otherwise it's very nice, and my copy is in very good condition.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any model from the IVSB2/IIF2/IID2/IIS2 on.

I like the L1 best too. I think it has more character and who can resist that front mounted slow speed dial? The only problem with mine is that the slow speeds are now really slooooow. Apart from that it works beautifully.

+1. The L1 shares the same sleek design of the P, but has switchable vf magnification instead of framelines. I find this makes the camera good for a 35 lens; I had trouble framing with the 35 framelines in the P's vf. The high mag setting on the L1 is also useful for fine focusing. I bought my L1 from a member here for a great price, especially considering it's in mint condition.

Hi neighbor I have owned a couple two three P and a7 and a vt and a vt delux my favorite was the vt with the trigger wind.
you ever get down to rio vista you might see me out shooting

Ha! I just saw your posts in this thread. I do get down your way from time to time, as I've got a photo project going on the Delta. I've tended to shoot around Isleton and Walnut Grove.

Canon P Luv. .. ...

Canon P Luv. .. ...

Can you feel it ? I myself own and use three. My only want would be a black one and an olive colored one. Pretty sure the color changes would not have an impact on my image quality, but don't they look good ? Cameras are a lot like people. .. ... doesn't matter what color they are when it comes to taking good pictures. Ka-pow!:D

I have a Canon P and use these lenses:

Voigtländer Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5
Canon 50mm f/1.5
Nikkor 105mm f/2.5

Put me in the 'Want to try an L1" group.

~ hibbs

Back