Which Fuji for an M9 user?

I'd probably recommend the X100T or an X-Pro 1 to test the waters. I love the x100t and it's one of the best cameras I've owned, but if you want interchangeable lenses, there are killer deals on XP1's right now both new and used.

Please explain why the RX100 V4 is remotely what the OP is looking for... and how is Fuji NOT lighter, smaller, and less expensive than Leica?

Well. the RX100 Mk4 is lighter, is smaller and is cheaper than Leica.
...and, off the top of my head, i don't believe there is a Fuji system that is lighter, smaller and cheaper than the RX100 Mk4 and that can do what that Sony does.

I've just received an X-Pro2. I previously failed to bond with a Panasonic GX7, largely due to the evf. In my acquaintance so far the XP2 is a very nice camera to use and the OFF with focus block bottom right if you want to check focus point or manual focus works really well - woth glasses.

I've never had a fuji before, skipping the XP1, but picked up the 18/2, 27/2.8 and 35/2 lenses from a friend
The 35/2 work brilliantly, quiet and fast as and good in hand - this is my favourite focal length. The others focus pretty quickly, but are a bit noisy compared to what I am used to (manual focus rf glass!)

Overall, very pleased and I think will be a perfect complement to the rfs when I want to carry on the bike or just want an alternative.

Plus, silent electronic shutter and evf is good for telephotos at children's concerts.

Mike

Here is the XP2 ERF mode...

700ed6864f7349e298751311d4357b90

That is with the EVF square being the lower zoomed in view. You can also have focus peaking active in that square. If you are in monochrome mode (ACROS IS NICE) that square is monochrome so the red focus peaking will really jump out. You can focus basically by watching for red in that corner.

You can also have the digital rangefinder function in that corner but that one is harder to see at that size.

BTW, you can also have it show the full captured view to check overall focus and framing.

8610351a94f945b4ab0d0a1e3d8b7208

The XP2 framelines are more accurate than the XP1.

The ERF mode works in manual focus and single point AF. It also works fine with adapted lenses.

Shawn

That looks MARVELOUS.

Save you cash and get an XE1. Don't waste your money on anything else.

None of the fuji cameras are anything close to shooting with an M. Both in the hands and the image results. After a short time you will lust to make your M9.

I also would recommend the X100T to test the system and finder-feeling. Also the camera is a joy to use. If that is good for you but you need interchangeable lenses, you can switch to the X-Pro 2. For just testing, the X100T can be found for very reasonable prices currently, as everybody seems to anticipate the X200 or whatever it will be called.

All of the Fujifilm X series APS-C sensors can be operated in a minimalistic, manual-mode fashion. It takes a while to figure out exactly how to implement this mode of operation. Once you do, usage is quick (no shutter lag) and reliable. I recommend operating the AF manually. This is quite similar to the RF experience where one focuses using the center of the finder and then recomposes. The focus is achieved one of three ways in manual focus mode:
  1. Turn the lens collar by hand (focus by wire)
  2. Use a shutter half press to initiate AF
  3. Use the AFL/AEL button on the back of the camera to initiate AF

With the these methods the focus won't change unless you take action by using above actions. The EVF/OVF focusing aids are available in all modes. The EVF/OVF focusing aids are a function age as the XE-1 and X-Pro 1 CPU speeds limit more sophisticated firmware. Also these older models do not have on-sensor phase-detection AF regions.

With EVF focusing it is possible to move the focus point away from the center of the frame. I rarely do this.

I suggest the X100T as it has a quicker CPU and more focusing modes. The downside is the teleconverters make the camera larger. I enjoy suning the OVF very much.

Otherwise the XE-2 is worth the extra money since the recent firmware update. I don't recommend the XE-1 since its slower CPU can not support the newer focusing aids.

Most of the time I use method 2 or 3 with the X-T1 or X100T. I let the camera find the focus region in the somewhere in center of the PDAF regions. This works well for 23 to 35 mm (APS-C) fields-of-view.

That looks MARVELOUS.

It is. On the XP1 my preference is the OVF. I like to use my Nikon and Minolta glass on the X Pro 1 but either had to shoot hyperfocal or with the EVF to focus them.

One of the big things I was looking forward to on the XP2 was the ERF mode and it does exactly what I had hoped for. I can now use adapted lenses with the OVF and still be able to focus them. XP2 is very unique in that regard.

It also has a bunch of little changes from the XP1 that makes shooting nicer.

And as all review state... it is *fast*. So far the AF-C tracking looks like it could replace my D700 for fast action shots.

Shawn

And as all review state... it is *fast*. So far the AF-C tracking looks like it could replace my D700 for fast action shots.

Shawn

The advent of phase-detection AF regions and more powerful CPUs has significantly increased the Fujifilm's utility for action photography. It's good to hear the X-Pro 2 continues this trend.

....One of the big things I was looking forward to on the XP2 was the ERF mode and it does exactly what I had hoped for. I can now use adapted lenses with the OVF and still be able to focus them. XP2 is very unique in that regard....

Shawn, so you're framing with the OVF and focusing with the ERF, right? Sorry, not familiar with this technology. At first it looked gimmicky and possibly distracting, but I'm not so sure now. I love the X-Pro1 OVF and the fact that it's uncluttered.

What is the focus point in the ERF? The parallax-corrected rectangle?

John

The advent of phase-detection AF regions and more powerful CPUs has significantly increased the Fujifilm's utility for action photography. It's good to hear the X-Pro 2 continues this trend.

These are playing around the first full day with the Fuj and part of a longer sequencei...

24934289413_a5ca930100_z.jpg

24934285473_98ac88b7b7_z.jpg

25442429762_bf25dff53c_z.jpg

Shawn

Shawn, so you're framing with the OVF and focusing with the ERF, right? Sorry, not familiar with this technology. At first it looked gimmicky and possibly distracting, but I'm not so sure now. I love the X-Pro1 OVF and the fact that it's uncluttered.

What is the focus point in the ERF? The parallax-corrected rectangle?

John

John,

ERF (electronic range finder mode) is the combined mode of the OVF with the small EVF window in the corner. Using that mode you can frame with the OVF and focus/frame with the EVF in the corner. That corner EVF can be the full image frame, zoomed in frame (at two different magnification levels). You can also use the focus aids of focus peaking or the digital split image in that small window as well.

When you are using the zoomed in window down there it is displaying what is in the focus point. So if you move the focus point that view follows. With adapted lens the square in the OVF and the zoomed in view don't quite match due to parallax error.

It is not gimmicky, it lets you frame and focus any adapter MF lens without having to rely on the full EVF. And you can of course turn the ERF mode off and use either the OVF or EVF.

Shawn

I've got an M9 and just added an XPro2. It's very very good. Fast, light, importantly for me good viewfinder and effective manual focus - looking forward to my M adaptor arriving next week.

Some quick snaps from last night and this evening - all from sooc jpeg's on acros setting. All at high iso with DR200% setting.

This one used face and auto eye detection - takes over from focus point
U25074I1457734717.SEQ.0.jpg

Walking to the car - iso3200 DR200% f2 auto shutter, -2/3EV, central focus point

U25074I1457734718.SEQ.1.jpg

U25074I1457734718.SEQ.2.jpg

U25074I1457734719.SEQ.3.jpg

U25074I1457734719.SEQ.4.jpg

Further, with the Fuji I have an issue with all of the options and settings available. I long for the simplicity of the M bodies. I'm no Luddite---in my job I work with computers daily and am considered to be a 'power user' by my peers. In your words you want "something that will get out of my way as much as possible". In my experience that is not how I would describe using a Fuji X camera.
This could be said of almost any digital camera. Like, I suspect, most users, I quickly found the option set that works best for me, and now the only time I use the menu is to format the SD card. I have an X-T1 and an X100T and I find that they do get out of my way as much as possible.

about the x-pro2, face detection only works in evf mode, right?

and is there an iso setting that lets you change the iso with the front or rear dial?

and is there an iso setting that lets you change the iso with the front or rear dial?

I think face detection works only with evf. That suits me, as I prefer the ovf, the key reason I fell out with you gx7 was evf only I think, but prefer to use a single af point for that. The evf though is relatively good for what they are and it's a moments thought to switch and enable face detection with 'auto eye selection'!

Not sure about the iso control. May be possible, but I've not.found it.by accident or.looked.yet. I tend to set any camera up as simply as possible and the iso dial in the Shutter speed.dial is fine for - like my zeiss ikon, which it also resembles in weight.

As someone else said, it's not the same as an M9 or rf, but the ovf is nice, the Brightlingsea pretty accurate (better than m9), the manual focus 'erf' patch clever and effective and it feels fast (again unlike the m9, where the Shutter record makes it feel slower than it really is).

Overall, it's a different camera and with its own lenses, primarily an af camera, but it can be set up to work simply and the ovf is my preferred way of.seeing the world. It's a very good complement, and the evf is useful for someone like me who only occasionally uses longer lenses (plus my m lenses are 1.5 times cropped so I can use them and not buy more)

Mike

This could be said of almost any digital camera. Like, I suspect, most users, I quickly found the option set that works best for me, and now the only time I use the menu is to format the SD card. I have an X-T1 and an X100T and I find that they do get out of my way as much as possible.

Don't know about the X-T1 but on the XP2 you can format without going into the menus. Hold down the trash button for at least three seconds and press the rear command dial will bring up the format options.

With all the customizable buttons on the XP2 I have almost everything mapped to a button for direct access. The Q menu is also customizable and you can create a MyMenu page by adding items from all the other menus into it. When you have the MyMenu page created the camera opens that page up when you go into the menus.

Shawn

Face detect is full EVF or LCD only.

You can't directly change the ISO with front or rear dial, it is top dial only. You can map the three different auto ISO settings to a button to let you select between them and also adjust them there. You could use that as an ISO setting by setting Max ISO really high, setting minimum shutter as low as possible then just adjust the default ISO as desired for your actual ISO. But that is a few more button pushes.

Shawn

Back