Which is your favorite FSU "normal lens" and why?

Which is your favorite FSU "normal lens" and why?

• Industar 22 (50mm f3.5)

Votes: 38 6.9%
  • Industar 50 (50mm f3.5)

Votes: 29 5.2%
  • Industar 26 (52mm f2.8)

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Industar 61 (52mm f2.8)

Votes: 91 16.5%
  • Jupiter 8 (50mm f2.0)

Votes: 249 45.0%
  • Jupiter 3 (50mm f1.5)

Votes: 146 26.4%
  • other

Votes: 38 6.9%

• Total voters
My favourite is the I-61 because the photos I produce with it always surprise me with their clarity and detail.

I have also used the J-3, I-50, Fed-50 collapsible.

I have the I-61, the J-8, and a collapsible Fed-50. They're all pretty good optically. The I-61 is easiest to use.

Jupiter-3.
picture.php

I suspect the OP is asking about LTM lenses.

I also have a Helios-103 and Menopta 53/1.8. Those are in Contax Mount, but i have made a Helios-103 in LTM.

I currently own and use one or two :rolleyes: ;
I have Industar 50 (both the rigid and collapsible), Industar 26, Industar 61L/d, and a Jupiter 8. I had a J-3 that, thanks to Brian, was set up correctly.
I like the J-8 the best of all: it is my primary 50mm. I enjoy several things about it, starting with the price I paid for it (something around 25 USD) and proceeding to the focus tab which lets me prefocus fairly close with out having to look at it. And I have come to like the lack of click stops; I don't have to decide whether to set just a bit too small or too large and aperture.
Add to the physical things about the lens that I like the fact that I have used this lens to take some of my favorite photographs and it has become a lens I will not lightly part with.
I know there are lots of better(in quite a few objective measures ) 50mms out there but I like this one!
Rob

The Helios 103 and the Jupiter-8 are probably my favourites in terms of sharpness (one on a Kiev and the other on a Canon P). But the 26 and 61 are not bad either once relubed for convenience sake. I'll get an idea of how the I-50 can performs when I've finished the film left in my FED-2.

As I haven't run a side by side comparison shooting the same "target" with each 50mm lens I can't be more specific. I'll post some shots asap.

Maybe some of you lads have done that test. But mainly we know russian glass is very good for the money.

Marc

I favor the Industar 61 l/d

Reason? results.

I do love the Helios 103 as well, but the Kiev 4AM I own? I just don't like it very much. Too much backwinding to ensure proper frame spacing.

Last edited:
I-61 because of the aperture click stops, tabbed I-26 because it looks so stinking cool, and is just about a match for the I-61 on images ...

I may love the J3, but I haven't had the pleasure of shooting with one yet. ;)

I've used the I50, I50 collapsible, I10 collapsible, I64 LD and J8. I've had more keepers with the J8 than anything else. I do have a soft spot for the I50 collapsible though for its compact size.

I don't really have any complaints about any of these lenses, assuming they are in good condition. I have entirely too many of these lenses at the moment and need to sell a few once I decide if I'm going to keep anything beyond the two called out above.

Clearly the trusty J8. It is sharp, delivers nice contrast, has minimal distortion and is fast enough for low light work, not to speak of its compact size.

"not on the List", because of rarity, but a favorite.

1949 ZK Sonnar 5cm F1.5, wide-open, on the M8.

picture.php

Hard to find a Helios-103 in LTM, much easier to use on a Contax/Kiev or Nikon.

picture.php

The Menopta is a rebranded Helios-103, came out in the 90s.

Helios-103 on the Nikon RF:

picture.php

Thank you for all your replies!

The Helios seem to be a really nice lens, judging by the pictures.
Too bad ist seems to be hard to get with LTM...

I've found that the collapsible I-50 is virtually identical in performance to my post-war Coated Elmar.

picture.php

Hello,

in my opinion, the best normal lens is the Jupiter-8, immediately followed by the Jupiter-3. the lack of the click-stop (on the J-3) is not a real problem.

I use both with my Kiev outfit.

Being honest, in the practical use, I don't even see significant differences between the Jupiter-3 and the CZJ Sonnar 50-1,5 "T" (my example should be from 1941/42).

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Back