Which Nikon 105 2.5???

Steve M.

Mentor
Local time
2:34 AM
Thanks to the members here, I've decided to go w/ a Nikon 105 2.5 lens. But which one? There seem to be a LOT of versions. Never mind the usual non ai, pre ai, ai'd, ais etc business, wait, there's more! The plain old 105 2.5, the 105 2.5 P, the 105 2.5 PC, ....aggggh!

OK, I THINK the PC stands for multi coated? Guessing the P is simply single coated? What about the ones that say only 105 2.5? But isn't one design a Sonnar design and one a Gauss? How do I tell which is which w/o seeing the lens from the rear (I think the early design has the small element)? Is there a definitive guide to this thing? I've been at it a while here on google, and all I've gotten is more confused than when I started. Buying online, I don't have the option of seeing a lot of photos sometimes.

The P is an older Nikon designation indicating the design is made up of 5 elements. The C denotes improved coating; I think the PC version dates from the early '70s.

I find this listing extremely helpful in identifying the Nikkors: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/specs.html Note that the first version of the lens had 5 elements in 3 groups; I think that was the Gauss design (?) and the Sonnar design is regarded as somewhat better. But you can't go wrong with either. Note that the earlier design is identified by the satin chrome barrel.

l Note that the first version of the lens had 5 elements in 3 groups; I think that was the Gauss design (?) and the Sonnar design is regarded as somewhat better.

The other way around - the legendary high resolution one was the 5/4 Gauss type introduced in 1971. But the earlier 5/3 Sonnar type was very nice as well, you can't really go wrong with any of them.

To cut the story short: I used the PC, AI and AI-S versions, still having the two except the AI..

First off: Better stick to the Gauss design, improvement is there.

IQ difference amongst the three: With film I could not detect any difference years long. On the 5N, the AI-S seems very slightly sharper wide open, then again no difference.

Buy whatever version you may find by checking compatibility with the body at hand and in case of doubt, refer to this site for compatibility:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

Good decision to look for a 105mm f2.5 :)

I liked my non-ai, P-C version so much, that rather than have it ai converted, I later found a second, ai version to use with my Nikon D100 dslr and ai-compatible Nikon film bodies.

Both versions that I have are fantastic, and really deserve their legendary status.

The basic difference is older Sonnar design which derives from the rangefinder lens and the more recent modified Double Gauss (i.e. Planar type) as it is not symmetrical, which started through the Nikkor - P period at serial 234011. All PC are new type. Double Gauss type is a better lens (i.e. Summicron to mention one), but Sonnar type has its look and cult following as we can see from the love for the 50/1.5 RF Sonnar type lenses.

Which camera will you be using? All of my bodies are later versions that accept ai/ais/af lenses. I use 105 2.5 ais version and it is outstanding. It has a built-in hood.

Maybe the easiest thing is to just assume that either design is good, and all the versions are worth owning? Otherwise I'll be at this far longer than I'd figured on. I really appreciate the help here, but honestly, it all gets muddled after a while. That's a great link Nick.

As for the body, I have a Nikkormat FT2 now and an N8008s coming, so I should have that part covered.

10.5cm P or PC Nikkor. The Sonnar. Usually found as a pre-Ai lens. All the rest after are different formulations and draw differently. Sharp. Wonderful. But not that gorgeous first design which is an improved Sonnar.

Phil Forrest

Phil, you're saying the early silver ones w/ the thin focus ring and small rear element are the ones you like? The ones w/ 5 elements in 3 groups?

For SLR's (F mount), the 105/2.5 P*C is the one to get.

You can find all of the improvements on Nikon's historical web page when they redesigned it.

The previous version is less sharp, less contrasty, higher flare, higher coma, uglier bokeh. Therefore less desirable.

I have no idea about the RF versions, this lens was made to be used for SLRs.

Roland

Roland

I'll post some of my F mount 105/2.5 photos. They make the Sonnar version look like Holga lenses.

I like my Sonnar 10.5. Because it fits on my M3 :) Gorgeous rendering.

Also, my late 90/2 pre-asph Summicron is not double Gauss, but an Ernostar. Just saying :)

Steve M.,

If it's also for the N8008 too,then only AI and AIS versions... Refer to the compatibility list supplied above.. You can not use any version on the N8008..

Hi Warren

Hi Warren

My 105/2.5 P*C works great on my D40x, is there something on the D100 that blocks the fitting of the lens or something?

I mean there's no AF, the 105/2.5 (older ones at least) are MF.

Good decision to look for a 105mm f2.5 :)

I liked my non-ai, P-C version so much, that rather than have it ai converted, I later found a second, ai version to use with my Nikon D100 dslr and ai-compatible Nikon film bodies.

Both versions that I have are fantastic, and really deserve their legendary status.

"The previous version is less sharp, less contrasty, higher flare, higher coma, uglier bokeh. Therefore less desirable".

Ah, now that's exactly what my old lens imaged like. Actually, bokeh was not bad at all, but there was something going on w/ flare or coma or some darn thing. It just didn't work for my portraits, which really surprised me.

So it sounds likeI want a later 5 element, 4 group lens, and beside the usual non ai, ai, stuff, the PC version would be multi coated. I sure hope this is right, because it's actually beginning to make sense. Sorta.

Thanks for the info on compability Bob. That's one of the reasons why I have the N8008s coming. Between it and the Nikkormat I should be able to shoot either version.

Back