Which Speed Graphic to Keep

Fixcinater

Never enough smoky peat
Local time
1:35 AM
I recently bought an estate lot of a local photog. Came with a bunch of stuff, some of what I already had/wouldn't use has been sold on ebay to make my money back so the rest of the equipment doesn't owe me anything. Skip to the end if you don't need context to add your 2c.

Pacemaker Speed 4x5, has an 127 Ektar in Synchro Compur, and a 127 Ektar in black paint with later elements, some extra unused Pacemaker factory boards. Only need one, so the other can go towards another lens. Obviously used but not abused, paint is worn off the inner frame guides where the bed "arms" get locked in place inside the body from previous owner using that as a grip. Graflok back, focus panel has Fresnel. Kit came with 3x Grafmatics, lots of Riteway holders so would be easy to shoot. If I kept this, I'd want to either find another longer lens or make a board for the B&L 210/4.5 Tessar that's on an Anniversary board as below.

My current Speed is a fair bit rougher, a wartime Anniversary with a Graflex back so takes the slotted holders. I have 6 of those so no problems there, and don't really have any complaints about it in use but the Pacemaker's focusing hood is quite a bit nicer. Nice 210 B&L Tessar, a weird old projection lens that I built a cardboard mount for and some spare lens boards if I would want to add another lens at some point. Easier to make these boards than the Pacemaker style of course.

This one shows more wear but being a war-time, most of the wear is not un-attractive brassing. Bellows have been replaced so are fine, body shutter is fine shape. I installed a Pacemaker front standard so I can do tilt on this if need be (rarely use it, though). I have a hacked together instant film back for this, could use the last two packs of Fuji instant I have on it. No desire or budget to buy more instant unless I hack together an Instax back somehow.

----------
TL;DR= I have two Speed Graphics, only can really justify keeping one around. One I traded a delicious SoCal burrito for (from a friend), the other is from a local photog of a place I'm soon moving from (back to SoCal) and is nicer to use but no real "connection to." I'd eventually like to make the keeper of them into a Burnett combo or add a Pentac 2.9, but that's probably a ways off due to budget constraints/finding a good deal on the lens. Which to keep? Thoughts?

No choice from my end, but some thoughts:

The lens boards for the Pacemaker can be downloaded from thingiverse.com and 3D-printed. I had one done last week and it works fine.

The Pacemaker might have a better ground glass view, due to the fresnel. OTOH, when adding a Pentac 2.9, an accurate rangefinder might be a lot more useful than a ground glass image, depending on your shooting style.

The Anniversary Speed Graphic is probably from beautiful mahogany underneath that old leather and has brass underneath the black painted parts.
If you're going to build it into a Burnett combo, stripping the leather and paint will leave you with a very beautiful mahogany and brass camera...

Keep the pacemaker

Keep the pacemaker

The pacemaker is the better choice here for many reasons.

It's mahogany underneath too if you are going to create a woody and strip the leather. It's more work than it sounds like though, and you have to account for the leather thickness when remounting things (like the curtain bushings).

I have a spare Pentac I could part with if you are looking for one. I have a SG/AE combo too that I was thinking of unloading also, I just don't use it that much. The Jolo board is the way to go for the SG btw, and his board will take a pentac or AE as far as I know.

-Ed

Thank you both for your thoughts. I brought them both out to shoot a bit yesterday afternoon. The Graflok vs slotted Graflex back and brighter focus screen are certainly non-trivial.

Thanks for the 3D printed lens board idea/reminder, Johan. I had seen your comparison article on your website, very helpful.

I have a 150/2.8 Heidosmat that could be a good entry to the fast lens realm. Maybe I should start there and then look for a Pentac/AE as an upgrade once I know I'm using the combo often enough to justify an upgrade.

Heidosmat

Heidosmat

Definitely mount that up and play with it since you have it. It's a projection lens so will be a little soft in the edges probably but I have seen some really good work from those lenses, despite the fact they are only triplets (I think).

Back