White

I've put off contributing to this venerable thread, but that's changing this very minute. Here are a few recent postings from the Gallery where white and the light that falls on it are central to each image:

ZI/35 2.8 Biogon

GRD4:

U27021I1371302653.SEQ.0.jpg

U27021I1371303342.SEQ.0.jpg

U27021I1371303585.SEQ.0.jpg

U27021I1371304384.SEQ.0.jpg

Nor, in some things, does the common, hereditary experience of all mankind fail to bear witness to the supernaturalism of this hue. It cannot well be doubted, that the one visible quality in the aspect of the dead which most appals the gazer, is the marble pallor lingering there; as if indeed that pallor were as much like the badge of consternation in the other world, as of mortal trepidation here. And from that pallor of the dead, we borrow the expressive hue of the shroud in which we wrap them. Nor even in our superstitions do we fail to throw the same snowy mantle round our phantoms; all ghosts rising in a milk-white fog- Yea, while these terrors seize us, let us add, that even the king of terrors, when personified by the evangelist, rides on his pallid horse.

Therefore, in his other moods, symbolize whatever grand or gracious thing he will by whiteness, no man can deny that in its profoundest idealized significance it calls up a peculiar apparition to the soul.

— The Whiteness of The Whale
Chapter 42 from Moby Dick; or, The Whale
by Herman Melville

Back