Who cares?

> I have always refrained from carrying a camera on vacations and the like, since it seems to get in the way.

I always refrain from bringing a computer for the same reason. Today at work, I had four running in parallel debugging a piece of code.

On Vacation, I select four cameras. Last time it was a Canon P, Leica M3, Canonet QL17l, and Nikki's digital imager. We went to Williamsburg. Kids pay much more attention to what's going on when they have a camera in hand. Something I learned as a kid.

Bill, one of the last Brownie pictures to make it into print!

do you respool onto a 620 reel?

Last edited:
do you respool onto a 620 reel?

No, I was too lazy. I had previously taken a Dremel to the guts of the Brownie and 'fixed it' so it would take 120. Didn't work that well, but I did manage that one roll.

Now, a normal Brownie Hawkeye, that's easy - they will take a 120 feeder roll with a 620 take-up spool. Works a treat, but 6x6 instead of this one, which is 6x9.

HCB was once asked which lens he used the most, "The one on the camera" was the reply.
Si français. ;) When you get the question asked for the zillionth time, there's a bit of shrugging of the shoulders involved.

In answer to the question "Who cares?": I do.

But like to use whatever I have at my disposal. I'm an equal-opportunity button-pusher. ;)

I've been forced to use one camera one lens for quite a while with my Med Format kits. Years ago I used a Holga and one of those Russian 6x6 cameras (they were both fixed lens).

Later I bought a Rollei 6000 series, and used only the 80mm lens. I really didn't feel the need for another focal length until I saw them in advertisements, and boy were they expensive. Needless to say i still only have the 80. Even with those big cameras I could shoot pretty quickly and have fun.

The problem I have with taking more than one lens with my RF is that I keep changing back and forth, every shot has to be done in 3 different focal lengths. Play then seems to become work.

I met a girl (too young for me) on the beach the other month. She wanted to know why I was using a Rolleiflex. I said, 'It's simple no lens changes, and I had film in it.' Surprisingly, she said, 'Yes, its the Indian not the arrow in photography.' That is probably is an old one, but I liked it. What ever is handy, and do your best.

Reading this thread, two phrases, stand out for me- Gabriel's "equal opportunity button pusher", and charjohncarter's beach-going friend's mark that "it's the Indian, not the arrow." Unless I'm shooting a job, I generally carry only one body and one lens. When heading out the door I'll grab whatever strikes my fancy, and spend the day looking with that focal length's angle of view in mind. I too will often grab a camera or lens that seems to have been neglected of late; or if I know I'll be encountering a given kind of situation, I'll take something that seems to lend itself well to the subject.

In a painting class in college, a professor told us that the 18th and 19th century English watercolor masters had basically two colors commonly at their disposal- a bright blue, and ochre. They could mix a surprising range of greens browns, blues and even get near yellow and red with these pigments- but they had to be creative and flexible to accomplish their goals. The lesson of limiting the palette to increase the creativity has stayed with me.

When I was much,much younger, on holidays and day trips I'd lug my Nikkormat with six or seven prime lenses,-most of whch never saw the light of day!, recent years it's been a r/f and two lenses, my next hol. (Turkey) is four weeks away, and I'm getting familiar with a little Olympus XA, to use, - sublime to the ridiculous, eh!, how minimal can you get!, but now there's that nagging doubt that maybe I should have spent a little more and got a Contax T2, and I hear that Sigma now has a shirt pocket camera that performs like an SLR!.......where's it all going to end, I ask myself, and will my pension take still more punishment? :(

Cheers, Dave :)

My Dad always said "Don't make your hobby your profession, it'll end up more a job than a joy!" or words to that effect.

For me, one of the great joys of a holiday/trip is the chance to visit new areas and take along a favourite camera or a new (old) exciting one to get to know better.

I've made the mistake of trying to take 15 kg of SLR gear on a 5 month trek in South America. The only benefit was when I had a machette held to my throat and they took my camera bag they ignored my pack, which had most of the same gear in it again ha ha suffer banditos.

I'm trying to be more efficient these days. I still suffer from the agony of selection before a trip. That's not a thing to complain about really in all honesty is it...

My Dad always said "Don't make your hobby your profession, it'll end up more a job than a joy!" or words to that effect.

Do you know the story of the fellow who got a job backstage at Le Crazy Horse? The same story is told of the Moulin Rouge or the Windmill Theatre or anywhere else they have 'Twenty lovely girls in nineteen lovely costumes'.

The first month was heaven.

The second month was hell.

After that, it was just a job.

Apart from that, I can't think of anything I'd rather do than what I do now, except being a gentleman of leisure. That's not the same as saying it's always perfect: just that it's better than every other job I've done.

Cheers,

R.

One camera / one lens .... A couple of days the 35 mm, then again the 50mm. Rarely the 21mm ... (With one Leica body) In MF, either the 35E or 500 C/M with the 80mm (I have only this one lens) On my last short trip, I took only the M3 with a DR Summicron. Shot 6 rolls in three days and had more photos I liked then ever before ...

Do you know the story of the fellow who got a job backstage at Le Crazy Horse? The same story is told of the Moulin Rouge or the Windmill Theatre or anywhere else they have 'Twenty lovely girls in nineteen lovely costumes'.

The first month was heaven.

The second month was hell.

After that, it was just a job.

Apart from that, I can't think of anything I'd rather do than what I do now, except being a gentleman of leisure. That's not the same as saying it's always perfect: just that it's better than every other job I've done.

Cheers,

R.

Now that's a good one!

In the local Cadbury chocolate factory employees are apparently allowed to eat as much chocolate as they like while at work. Lasts a week, tops.

And I agree that if you are both lucky and determined in life you can find a profession that is deeply rewarding.

To bring it back to photography, I'm certainly sometimes jealous of the perceived creativity and freedom of the profession. But I'm sure a working photographer winces on being assigned the umpteenth ribbon cutting ceremony they might have to cover for a month.

Last edited:
But I'm sure a working photographer winces on being assigned the umpteenth ribbon cutting ceremony they might have to cover for a month.
Better than shooting pack shots of baby food boxes, which I recall as the nadir of my life in advertising!

But you've given me an idea for the site. Around 20 years ago Frances and I did a book on the American Civil War, which was very well received. The trouble is that battlefields are, well, fields, and there's a limit to how much variety you can pack in. As a result we did an article for Shutterbug in the early 90s called '101 ways to shoot a cannon' (Frances's idea for a title).

Maybe I'll revise the idea and do it as a module on www.rogerandfrances.com.

Cheers,

R.

<When I was much,much younger, on holidays and day trips I'd lug my Nikkormat with six or seven prime lenses,-most of whch never saw the light of day!, recent years it's been a r/f and two lenses, my next hol. (Turkey) is four weeks away, and I'm getting familiar with a little Olympus XA, to use, - sublime to the ridiculous, eh!,>

Sounds familiar Dave,

In my case I went from a SLR straight to only carrying good quality compacts. Normally taking two on holiday. In the search for quality optics, I eventually acquired loads over the years inc Minox PL and ML, Rollei 35, Contax T2 and Olympus XA/XA2 plus a pretty good Panasonic (leica lookalike).

Then I started to miss the joy of using a manual camera with interchangable lenses and got a Leica and daft amount of lenses inc portrait lengths :)

Nowadays, I use the Leica for best quality results. The Minox ML backs it up and is fun for lighter weight outings.

I make a beeline for the Contax T2 whenever photography is far less important than enjoying my familys time together. The total automation and little built in flash come in very handy then. That Zeiss 2.8 lens is a wonderful lens too!

Frankly, when travelling I could capture almost everything, except good portaits, on high quality compacts but I really enjoy working with the Leica when time permits.

Vacation is "my time" and "my time" includes photography! Sometimes it's tough to include photography in your day to day grind (I still try though) because your mind is pretty full and occupied.

I've got a ridiculous range of lenses, but I tend to keep a normal lens on a camera and that's the conbination I pick up when I go out the door. Of course, with fixed lens cameras, I have to think about it even less.

It's time to maybe cut down on inventory, but don't noise that about.

Interesting quote and to add a bit....

Interesting quote and to add a bit....

HCB was once asked which lens he used the most, "The one on the camera" was the reply.

To add to that, even if I am packing an interchangable lens camera, I rarely carry extra lenses, and I rarely use Zooms. I really don't remember the last time I ever changed a lens in the field, IF I had one with me. I use the lens on the camera, combined with bipedal zoom. If I need a closer shot of the subject, I walk or hike to it. It's also called SM Zoom (Shank's Mare)

Added: I do have long lenses and occasionally use them, but only when I know I am going out specifically for such images.

Last edited:
Yay! for the new sub-forum.

I was wondering for a while when will Roger get his own sub-forum :)

And from the looks of it, this will be quite a lively place.

Is Frances going to hang around from time to time? :D

Back to topic:

I carry different film format, more than lens variety these days. For example, on the road trip that just ended last week, I brought the Mamiya 645 and the Bessa RF because I wanted big negatives of landscape shots. Then the XA-4 for food on the table and other candids. Then my current favorite, XD11 with 35/1.8 Rokkor-X.

There's not a whole lot of lens changing going on :)

Back