Who loves their Reject Leica

corazon

Established
Local time
10:54 PM
I know I do. We all know the M4-2 and M4-P were budget, cost cutting measure Leicas and I LOVE MY M4-P. My only real issue with it (aside from the lack of self-timer, because though not necessarily often used are indeed a damn treasure for one special occasion, [and blah blah, flary RF patch]) is it really troubles me that the 'film reminder' doesn't have a dial on it, so as to actually remind you what film if any, you've got in there.

I want to add my own on the back of mine, it will prove much helpful, in cases especially where I am pushing film and need to remember that.

Anybody, Ideas on how to make my own? Where to buy or how to find such little but essential additions that already float around the atmosphere?

I have one of the last M4-P cameras ever made, in mint shape. The last batch of a 1000 was made in Germany along with the M6, but still says made in Canada. I even have a mint MR4 meter to go with. These cameras are a great value & just do not have the built in meter like the M6. These are a great find at a good price.

i always use a piece of auto paint shop masking tape, decorators brown tape. Just rip a piece off, stick to the base plate and write whatever notes you like to remind you.

I bought my M4-P new in the very early 80s, and I'm still using it.

It is without doubt the worst M-series Leica I've ever owned -- rough, flary patch, rotten 'black chrome' finish -- and one of only three I've had from new in 40 years, but the thing about Ms is that even the bad ones are good.

The back doors on Leicas are quickly and easily removable (no tools needed); later today (after my wife wakes up -- the M2s are in the bedroom and I don't want to wake her) I'll see if it's possible to swap an M2 back (with reminder) with the M4P.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited:
I had an m4-2 with the dreaded early serial indicating it was one of the first from canada, apparently models like it had some pretty annoying problems. The one I bought was a bit rough - very worn looking
BUT
I loved it - it was a very sweet camera - very smooth and enjoyable to use, and I thought it's patina really gave it a lot of character as well.

I'm a little sorry I sold it.

I've just swapped the back doors from one of my M2s and my M4-P, so all you need is an early Leica M scrapper. One of the repair firms might sell you a spare back door cheaply.

It's possible that there are incompatibility problems, but I'd be astonished if there were, given that the swap was effortless. Why, after all, would Leica change the dimensions needlessly?

Cheers,

Roger

I spent Thursday night with a M4P, rapidwinder, 135/2.8 (goggled), 90/2, and 50/2 collapsible. Not my gear, but I have 'visitation' rights ;) It's a great kit, though when I got home I tried the 135 on the M3 and that would have been a much, much, much better combo!

If I need it, I stick a piece of the box into the hot shoe to remind me what film i'm using.

My M4-P just had a CLA and its smoother than ever, I must say I'm very pleased. I actually find it smoother than an M6. Apparently the M6's 0.72 magnification is slightly different though, is that true? Its easier to see the 35mm frame lines for people who wear glasses on the M6.

If you want 28 and 75mm framelines, and 1m-calibrated 35mm and 50mm framelines for those classic lenses, the M4P is the only choice ! Mine is early and very smooth. No reject at all !

Roland.

Roger Hicks - Thanks for checking that out for me, finding a cheapo M2 (which would be what I would want as a second body, if I got one) or a cheap back is quite a viable solution.

nobblyon, Maxapple88 - Thanks for those suggestions. I was hoping someone would say I could just add on a pre-made metal reminder 'knob'. I'm really looking for something I can change on the fly. I was recently at a conference and assisting a filmmaker and taking his notes, taking my photographs and writing my own notes, and between that and changing film and all the hubbub going around, I'd rather not add sliding written cards on the back of my camera to the list.

If I cannot find anything or fabricate some kind of dial to add to the part of the reminder that's already there, I'll adopt that system. After all, if properly organized it would work quite well (and not cost me a penny!).

Also, I realize the bias in naming this thread as such; it seems not many have read or read in entirety my original post about looking to add a turning dial to the back of the M4-P film reminder. I didn't make that clear in my title, so if anyone read this far down, help a sista out! Give me some good ideas ; )

Thanks lovelies,

cz

I always thought the M5 was the reject leica!

"So were the CL and M2 (budget Leicas) ."

If you count 'em all up, about every second Leica was either one or the other!

Anyhow, sorry to disappoint, this thread is really about the M4-P missing a turning dial on the back plate. And how one can be added one without changing backs or the like.

I'm sure the M4-P is a fine camera to use, I've just never understood its price on the used market. It's about a stone's throw away from either an M6 with a meter, or a vintage M4 with a MUCH better finish and finder. The M4-2 makes more sense because of it's lower price. That, and it's clean 35/135-50-90 finder.

My M2 is my favorite camera to shoot with when I want to just go out and shoot pure pleasure and fun.

Bob

I would not call the M2 a "reject" Leica! When it came out, it was an instant success due to the 35 finder and all those M3 googled 35's were traded in! The sales of the M3 in total was about 230 000, but they enjoyed a "peak" sales period before the M2. The M2 sold about 80-90 000 in ten years - not bad at all.
This was also a different time as the pro's were still shooting M's and a lot of these cameras were sold to newspapers and picture agencies. By the early 60's the SLR took over and we all drooled over Nikon's and Pentax cameras, but the M cameras still sold quite well.
I would put the M5 down as a unloved Leica. Probably a good idea but I could never get along with it. By the time it came out, my hands had configured themselves to a M2/M3/M4 shape!
The CL was interesting, but a bit fragile. Front protective glass kept popping out and the film advance kept failing (at least on the ones I had).
The M4P and M4-2 have an undeserved reputation for being "not German enough". In fact they are incredibly tough, two of my M4P's are cameras that I bought in 1981 when they came out and they have survived for 27 years and untold 1000's of rolls with just basic service about every decade. The longer we keep them in the unloved category the better as it keeps the price down too.

PS, there is no problem switching backdoors on M2/M3/M4/M4-2/M4P's -
early glass pressure plated M3 back can jam on later cameras, but apart from that, no problem.

The M4-2 is the camera that saved Leica. Not a reject in my books.

That's the M5

*Waits for the stampede of M5 owners*

The M4-P has the best optical viewfinder and the most easily understandable viewfinder lines from all Leicas I've used (okay, M3 aside. But M3 still lacks 28, 75 and 35 lines).

M4P is my favorite Leica.

The problem with the M4P and M4-2 is the myth surrounding them (myth as in untrue). If they we're logically called M5 and M6, they would be seen as great Leicas, worthy descendents. The M5 would then be M7 and the M6 would the M8, the M7 would be M9, the current M8 would be M10 and so on...

Now imagine if the next Leica is called M8-2. This will only give a bad reputation to the current M8 and make it "the flawed Leica". But if the ellusive M8-2 is called M9, the M8 will forever be remembered as the first Digital-M, the marvel.

It's incredible how Marketing can make or destroy a product.

Think about it.

Last edited:
Back